Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removal of 80's alarm system...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slim72914
My '72 hasnt been registered since '86 and Ive been trying to get it running. Everytime I turn the key the horn beeps like the alarm is going off... It is about 90% unhooked. I chased the starter solenoid cutoff and hooked the factory wiring back to itself so it cranks the starter when the key is turned. The fuel pump was bypassed to a completely seperate toggle switch stashed under the drivers seat. Took care of that. Now Im trying to figure out how to completely remove whats left of the alarm system.

The only wires left are the ones that go to the battery and wires on the + side of the battery and the wires that go into the box next to the drivers seat that has a key to turn on and off. I do not have this key..... can anyone tell from these pics what needs to be reconnected to completely bypass it?
PS It is a hack job....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

ejm
On the positive post the battery should have 4 heavy red wires besides the cable to the starter. The box looks like some kind of inductive pickup with a wire spliced into one of the 4 red wires. No idea what the box in the second pic is. See what happens when its gone. biggrin.gif

PS It is a hack job....

Aftermarket alarms usually are sawzall-smiley.gif
slim72914
After I posted the original message I went out and just unplugged the horns at the front of the car. Double checked my fuel lines etc. and tried to crank it over. Not only did it crank but if fired right up after about 3 seconds! the tail pipes have major issues... the small rust holes became completely disconnected shortly.

Having that 12v wire in the original picture hooked up or unhooked made no difference in the starting of the car. I think the starter needs a rebuild though. And the PO only put 1 bolt back in the last time it was removed... Nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.