Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any recommendations for tranny oil ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
As topic states.

thank you in advance,

Levon

smile.gif
sww914
Swepco 201. Don't use synthetic. Porsche trannys love Swepco.
levonfarra
How many gallons do I need? Sorry for the ignorance but I am at work and do not have my owners manual w/ me and I want to order it.

thanks,

Levon
So.Cal.914
Transmission including differential Approx. 2.5 liters/2.6 U.S. gt of transmission

fluids meeting Specifications MIL-L-2105 B or MIL-L-2105, SAE 90 Viscosity smile.gif
Rand
80w90 GL5 (NOT GL4) or Swepco 201
Cap'n Krusty
Why do you want to change the gear oil? The Cap'n
levonfarra
I have owned the car for about 7 months, but I am not sure when the last time the oil was changed, so I figured it's better to be safe than sorry.
Cap'n Krusty
Gear oil doesn't wear out. If it's the wrong oil, it won't shift right. If it's full, and shifts OK, and the tranny's not so noisy you want to look at the scrap metal stuck on the drain plug magnet, you needn't bother to change it. If you decide to do it anyway, be sure you remove the fill plug BEFORE you drain the oil. No sense draining it only to find you can't refill it! The Cap'n
levonfarra
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 1 2007, 02:40 PM) *

Gear oil doesn't wear out. If it's the wrong oil, it won't shift right. If it's full, and shifts OK, and the tranny's not so noisy you want to look at the scrap metal stuck on the drain plug magnet, you needn't bother to change it. If you decide to do it anyway, be sure you remove the fill plug BEFORE you drain the oil. No sense draining it only to find you can't refill it! The Cap'n

Most of the time it shifts good, however yesterday I went on a very curvey canyon road and twice I had a hard time downshifting into second gear, when the road straightened out the shifting was fine again. So I figured oil is low or old and either case it would be a good idea to change oil.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Oct 1 2007, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 1 2007, 02:40 PM) *

Most of the time it shifts good, however yesterday I went on a very curvey canyon road and twice I had a hard time downshifting into second gear, when the road straightened out the shifting was fine again. So I figured oil is low or old and either case it would be a good idea to change oil.

This sounds more like worn engine/tranny mounts then gear oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.