Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, Now that I bought it.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
OK, now that I've won the evilbay auction for an '81 SC front end smilie_pokal.gif (complete--stud to stud for $350)

Click to view attachment

What refurbs/improvements should I make before I install it? No big plans for autocross, just wanted to do a proper 5 lug conversion. No need for ultra-fancy race parts, just need to make sure that everything is in tip-top shape before I install it. I figure the calipers/wheel bearings/rotors are a no-brainer. Is there any maintenance you can do to the rack? Do those look like turbo tie rods to you? TIA!! welder.gif

--Jaybird
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jaybird840 @ Oct 1 2007, 03:58 AM) *

OK, now that I've won the evilbay auction for an '81 SC front end smilie_pokal.gif (complete--stud to stud for $350)

Click to view attachment

What refurbs/improvements should I make before I install it? No big plans for autocross, just wanted to do a proper 5 lug conversion. No need for ultra-fancy race parts, just need to make sure that everything is in tip-top shape before I install it. I figure the calipers/wheel bearings/rotors are a no-brainer. Is there any maintenance you can do to the rack? Do those look like turbo tie rods to you? TIA!! welder.gif

--Jaybird

Tell you what , you send it to my research and development

department, we will install it on a test vehicle, and run it for a few years. We'll let you know.
type47
QUOTE(jaybird840 @ Oct 1 2007, 02:58 AM) *

Do those look like turbo tie rods to you? TIA!! welder.gif

--Jaybird

i think to tell if they are turbo tie rods, you need to look "under/inside" the bellows not at the tie rod ends so you can't tell by the pic.
woobn8r
Just clean (or mediablast and powdercoat) the arms...

I'd install new ball joints, rebuild the rack, new steering bellows, new bushings/bearings, new turbo tie rod ends...New KONI inserts, clean/paint/plate upper strut mounts....

Possibly polish all alloy parts (rack body and crossmember)...

Add some new hardware, and your GTG!!!!

S.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 1 2007, 06:33 AM) *

QUOTE(jaybird840 @ Oct 1 2007, 02:58 AM) *

Do those look like turbo tie rods to you? TIA!! welder.gif

--Jaybird

i think to tell if they are turbo tie rods, you need to look "under/inside" the bellows not at the tie rod ends so you can't tell by the pic.

They're "turbo" tie rods. The old style tie rods have the inner joint outside the boot, the "turbo" style have the inner joint on the inside of the boot. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.