Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hydraulic throw out bearing / ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I am looking at fitting a hydraulic throw out to my V8 car.

First off I understand if it goes out / leaks etc its more work bla bla bla.

I see some pictures of 915 transmission but haven't found a 930 as yet. I do have a short bell-housing, so maybe theres not enough room to fit one.

My reasons are simple, replace the fork, fork shaft and outer pivot/fork along with the joints associated with the slave cylinder. All those transitions and a big PP make it hard to get a precise adjustment and keep it that way.

Anyone have any information as to how its done?
drive-ability
I talked to the engineering department at Tilton and the did give me the space requirements. Looks like I need 2" inches to fit the unit. Now to find a pressure plate? ? ? I can use the guts of the disks I have now. I may be able to find a 9" PP or have one built using my KEP or Sachs as a guide.
army dude
I'll be watching this, John. I am curious what you find out.

Ian
ClayPerrine
Look at the parts for some of the 90s fords...

IPB Image

Applications:
1983-94 Ford Ranger - 2.8L and 3.0L
1991-94 Ford Explorer - 4.0L
1991-94 Ford Bronco II - 2.9L
1993-97 Ford Explorer - F150-350 - Ranger
1986-95 Ford Aerostar
andys
Here's the link to Quarter Master's hydraulic release bearing full install and dimensioning guide. Should have all the info you need:
http://www.racingclutches.com/~rclutch/pro...l%20Bearing.pdf

They offer three or four different configurations of hydraulic release bearings, so cruise their site. If you have additional thechnical questions, give 'em a call.

Andys
drive-ability
Andys,
I saw that site a few days ago, I am trying to use a very mild street pressure plate. What I need to do is find someone who knows pressure plates well enough to help fit one to the bearing and the 930 flywheel. I called Tilton and they only handle small racing clutch diameters, and the price of a GT2 setup is quite high and not what I am looking for. I think I'll start looking for disks in the 9" range and see what I come up with..

army dude,
Hows things going?
I'm not sure I can get this T/O set up to work and keep the costs down. I just want to remove all the joints in the system to get it working perfect..
andys
I'm perhaps a little unclear of what you're looking to do. QM does make an 8 1/2" and a 10 1/2" clutch. I am using the 8 1/2" on my LS1 conversion, but not with the internal type of hydraulic release bearing. I encourgae you to call them. They are very knowlegeable AND willing to discuss your application. For me, they made a custom spring center disc with a 15/16"-23 spline hub; they can make nearly any spline you could imagine. They're right in the middle of the Nextel Cup season, so they're pretty busy now.

Do you intend to maintain the 930 pull type PP, or convert to a push type? If you call QM, ask for Paul in the tech dept. Great guy!

Andys
drive-ability
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 2 2007, 03:42 PM) *

I'm perhaps a little unclear of what you're looking to do. QM does make an 8 1/2" and a 10 1/2" clutch. I am using the 8 1/2" on my LS1 conversion, but not with the internal type of hydraulic release bearing. I encourgae you to call them. They are very knowlegeable AND willing to discuss your application. For me, they made a custom spring center disc with a 15/16"-23 spline hub; they can make nearly any spline you could imagine. They're right in the middle of the Nextel Cup season, so they're pretty busy now.

Do you intend to maintain the 930 pull type PP, or convert to a push type? If you call QM, ask for Paul in the tech dept. Great guy!

Andys

First off I bet the LS engine is fantastic! If I had to do it all again I would go with the package..
I am hoping to convert to a push clutch, using a hydraulic T/O bearing.
John
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Oct 1 2007, 12:49 PM) *

I am looking at fitting a hydraulic throw out to my V8 car.

First off I understand if it goes out / leaks etc its more work bla bla bla.

I see some pictures of 915 transmission but haven't found a 930 as yet. I do have a short bell-housing, so maybe theres not enough room to fit one.

My reasons are simple, replace the fork, fork shaft and outer pivot/fork along with the joints associated with the slave cylinder. All those transitions and a big PP make it hard to get a precise adjustment and keep it that way.

Anyone have any information as to how its done?

Might be an easier way with less parts and modifications. I recently had a lengthy conversation with Roger Brown at California Motorsports about doing a hydraulic clutch on a 930 and G50 trans. Fluid driven T/O's are an option and many production cars are using them. The G50 seemed easier because later models were already done. The 930 can be adapted for a slave cylinder. I think the sand rail guys use Jamar cylinders which have 1 1/4 to 2 inch stroke if I recall correctly on the 930. The advantages are easier to service if blows a seal without removing the box and saving an expensive clutch if hydro fluid leaks inside the bellhousing. A lot easier to fab a mount and modify the arm than finding clutch parts to fit. Just my take.
jd74914
Jeff, John has a set-up similar to that with a hydraulically actuated slave cylinder . . . he wants to simplify the install while still retaining a hydraulically actuated clutch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.