Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twin Cities Service
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
minndodger
Does anyone know where I can get my 73 914 repaired and serviced in Minneapolis? I live in Andover and work in New Hope so ideally the shop would be in the North Western part of the cities. I will post pics of the car soon.

Thanks for the help.

Stephen
lotus_65
what's the matter with your car? how are you with tools?

there's a couple shops i know of in the hopkins/minnetonka area.
minndodger
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 1 2007, 04:28 PM) *

what's the matter with your car? how are you with tools?

there's a couple shops i know of in the hopkins/minnetonka area.

Me and tools do not get along well. In fact I think that there is a socket set out there somewhere that has a restraining order against me. biggrin.gif . I just bought the car and the previous owner who is from Iowa by way of Texas let the car sit in his garage for about 8 years. I had the fluids changed, gas drained, the normal stuff I could think of. Right now the battery drains in about 24 hours and I need to get the short or whatever it is traced down. The good news it that she is a 73 2.0 that is completely original. And I mean down to the original radio.

Minnetonka is a bit south for me but if that is where I have to go then so be it.

Stephen
lotus_65
well i'd have to say greg smith @ smith imports in hopkins then.
2011 main street
952-933-1181

if it's rebuild stuff then mtka would be cheaper, but gregs good there too.

i would have sold my car a long time ago if i had not have negotiated an uneasy peace settlement with MY tools! biggrin.gif
minndodger
Thanks for the help. I am going to drive down to Iowa this weekend and pick up the car.

Stephen
lotus_65
good luck.
are you driving it back, or trailering?
minndodger
Driving it back with my Mother in Law following behind in her mini-van.
The car seems to be running okay other than the electrical trouble. I had a local guy look it over and got the fuel injection running right. She fires right up and runs smooth.

Stephen
lotus_65
ok, cool.
call greg when you can, i'm sure he can square up that voltage issue...

paul b.
minndodger
Do the Twin Cities teeners ever get together like some of the other areas?
lotus_65
not so much. i've had a couple but they weren't too well attended. you are on my list-o mn-area teeners, but since i've downsized recently, i don't think i'll be hosting anytime soon.

looking forward to seeing your car... are there any pics?

paul
Chuck
Stephen,

welcome.png from another MN 914 owner!! iamchappy hosted a get together over at his place a week ago. Unfortunately, I got a cold from my daughter and could not make it. I was hoping to meet some of the local owners as well. My car is currently undergoing rustoration. Plan is to put a 3.2 in there.

I've probably got enough room to host a get together at my place in Maple Grove and would be happy to do so once everyone gets their cars out of storage in the spring. drunk.gif I'm hopeful of having my car painted and off of jackstands by then. biggrin.gif If you ever need an extra pair of hands, just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

Chuck
iamchappy
Rick and I talked about it last night. Kelly and Rick were thinking about it at the RRC so maybe we can make something still happen this Fall.
lotus_65
driving.gif
you KNOW i'm in.

a colors run, maybe?
Chuck
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 1 2007, 05:08 PM) *

a colors run, maybe?

Sure, rub it in that your car actually runs. dry.gif

I'd offer to host for this fall but am not sure if it would work for my wife. We just closed on the new place in July and are still trying to get fully unpacked and settled in.
lotus_65
yea, but you DO have a car that runs... right? smile.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png Stay tuned... Kelly and I are talking tomorrow. Be safe on the trip. Bring your AAA Gold card. If you don't have one, get one. Better safe than sorry.
minndodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 2 2007, 12:18 AM) *

welcome.png Stay tuned... Kelly and I are talking tomorrow. Be safe on the trip. Bring your AAA Gold card. If you don't have one, get one. Better safe than sorry.

I look forward to meeting up with you guys. I will take pictures of the car this weekend and get them up on this forum. By the way the site is amazing. The first day I found it I spent about 4 hours on here reading everything I could.

Thank you for all of the well wishes. By the way, I only have internet access during the day so I am slow to respond to questions that are posted late in the evening.

Stephen
Chuck
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 1 2007, 07:01 PM) *

yea, but you DO have a car that runs... right? smile.gif

Yeah, just giving you stromberg.gif . It would be nice to meet everyone.
ConeDodger
Best of luck... Although, if you are open to some advice, I would suggest a reconciliation with your tools. Even, the most completely restored 914 has parts on it that are thirty years old. These parts will fail. When they do you can either write a check or roll up your sleeves. Sometimes it is even difficult to find someone willing to take your check!
I grew up in Minnesota. Graduated from Robbinsdale HS. Minnesota is not so kind to old cars either!
welcome.png
minndodger
The only car I ever worked on was my first car which was a 68 bug. Part of the appeal of the 914 is that I just might be able to do some of the work myself relying upon you guys for answers and support. The car is originally from Texas and has never been driven in the Midwest, at leat according to the PO and we all now how the only tell the truth. biggrin.gif

I am always open to advice.

Stephen
SteveL
Welcome to the club! I am in Coon Rapids, hwy 10 and 242, right on the Andover border. The places people have already mentioned are good. There is one more place - kind of a hole in the wall, but they know VW air cooled 4s REALLY well and 914s pretty well. JAC Auto - Hwy 10 just north of Anoka. It is the place with all the Bugs out front.

When you get her back here, PM me and I'd love to stop by and see it!

Good luck on the trip.
minndodger
QUOTE(SteveL @ Oct 2 2007, 05:49 PM) *

Welcome to the club! I am in Coon Rapids, hwy 10 and 242, right on the Andover border. The places people have already mentioned are good. There is one more place - kind of a hole in the wall, but they know VW air cooled 4s REALLY well and 914s pretty well. JAC Auto - Hwy 10 just north of Anoka. It is the place with all the Bugs out front.

Good luck on the trip.

I will do that. Thanks for the help. I know where that place is.

Stephen
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SteveL @ Oct 2 2007, 03:49 PM) *

Good luck on the trip.

That place belongs to Jerry Coffin. I went to high school with him. He knows his bugs. He used to run an 1835 roller crank bug in a stock class until he got protested and then he took his marbles and went home... Guess he thought if he told everyone he was cheating they wouldn't protest him.
lotus_65
lol

sounds like a cool guy. i'll have to look him up!
minnesota loon
keep me posted for a get together. white bear lake,75 914
Chuck
QUOTE(minnesota loon @ Oct 7 2007, 08:21 AM) *

welcome.png There is a get together planned for Oct. 20th in Annandale. Check out the Upper Midwest Gathering thread for all of the details.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(minnesota loon @ Oct 7 2007, 08:21 AM) *

welcome.png Here's a link to the upcoming gathering!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76837 <<<<< click here! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.