Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air filters installed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I think they look a little goofy so I'll leave it to you guys. One good point is theres plenty of filter capacity compared to the old dinky filter.

IPB Image
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif Does kinda look lost in spaceish, but I guess it is more about function. I don't know how else you could get all that airflow any other way.
Cap'n Krusty
Nice, toasty air for the intake! Clean installation, though .............................

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 1 2007, 05:32 PM) *

Nice, toasty air for the intake! Clean installation, though .............................

agree.gif looks like you're going for the hot air induction route ...

confused24.gif Andy
drive-ability
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2007, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 1 2007, 05:32 PM) *

agree.gif looks like you're going for the hot air induction route ...

confused24.gif Andy

Theirs alway some smart A'S*, wouldn't feel right if they didn't chime in.

If you spent some time under the hood area you would know its a cool place, not hot as you might guess. That area of the trunk is much cooler than above the engine area. At any rate its cooler in relative terms and filter capacity was my main goal. Think harder!
Eric_Shea
compared to the old dinky filter

Hard to believe the inlet on those two hoses combined is greater than the old filter. I see your filter area is much larger but, from the armchair quarterback position, it looks like it would be starved for air. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Oct 1 2007, 05:56 PM) *

If you spent some time under the hood area you would know its a cool place, not hot as you might guess. That area of the trunk is much cooler than above the engine area. At any rate its cooler in relative terms and filter capacity was my main goal. Think harder!

nice! how about you un-bunch yer panties a bit? biggrin.gif

you are obviously much luckier than i, because even with the coated headers, my trunk get's PLENTY hot. much hotter than right under the GT engine lid.
hot enough even to leave heat discoloration on the spare tire rubber i carry in that rear trunk.

so much for smart ass, right back at 'ya!
beerchug.gif Andy

PS: and i DID agree with the smart ass krusty cap'n about the cleanliness of the install. just for the record.
are you, by any chance, an engineer by day? idea.gif
drive-ability
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2007, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Oct 1 2007, 05:56 PM) *

nice! how about you un-bunch yer panties a bit? biggrin.gif

you are obviously much luckier than i, because even with the coated headers, my trunk get's PLENTY hot. much hotter than right under the GT engine lid.
hot enough even to leave heat discoloration on the spare tire rubber i carry in that rear trunk.

so much for smart ass, right back at 'ya!
beerchug.gif Andy

PS: and i DID agree with the smart ass krusty cap'n about the cleanliness of the install. just for the record.
are you, by any chance, an engineer by day? idea.gif

Andy,
My trunk is gone, the area really stays much cooler then above the engine. I don't have anyway to really know just how the air flows in that area but its nothing like the engine lid area. I may be pulling air in from around the transmission, which is open with no sheet metal . I guess at first look you might think its a bit hot but its not. My engine makes as much heat as most V8s but theres so much open space with the trunk removed maybe that is the biggest factor. I do have huge Ferrari 575 mufflers and they sit down low and take up a lot of frontal area, that may be deflecting relatively cool air up there. No offense taken... Krusty is just Krusty
Brando
Turn it around 180ยบ and shorten those flex hoses, you'll be set smile.gif

Looks damn nice!
Aaron Cox
lets do some math!

what was the diameter of the old filter, and how tall was it?
2" x 12"?

formula for surface area of said cylinder filter.
2 x pi x r x h

2x3.14x6x2 = 75.4 square inches of filter zone.....

what size hose? 2" ID?
2 hoses x area of circular hose cross section.
2*pi*r^2
2 x 3.14x1^2

6.3 square inches......

you are trying to make your motor breathe through a straw....
drive-ability
Aaron,
Your right sorta, the tubes are 2 1/8" and need to be 3". I have driven the car but not over 4,500 rpm. I'll now take it like a man chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif
Eric_Shea
2*pi*r^2
2 x 3.14x1^2

Ahhhh see, I just needed my engineer bitch to cypher it out for me. biggrin.gif

I'll now take it like a man

Ut ohhhh... that oughta bring Slits outta the woodwork! ohmy.gif
p914
How effective are the fans you have on the engine grill lid?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Oct 1 2007, 10:08 PM) *

Aaron,
Your right sorta, the tubes are 2 1/8" and need to be 3". I have driven the car but not over 4,500 rpm. I'll now take it like a man chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif

ok... so 2 1/8 ID is 2.125 in
2 x pi x 1.0625^2
7.089 in square with the two tubes.....

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 1 2007, 10:28 PM) *

2*pi*r^2
2 x 3.14x1^2

Ahhhh see, I just needed my engineer bitch to cypher it out for me. biggrin.gif

I'll now take it like a man

Ut ohhhh... that oughta bring Slits outta the woodwork! ohmy.gif

thats mr egr bitch.
914-8
It does look a little odd/disproportionate having those MONGO air filters going into those tiny tubes.

I was thinking of doing something similar on my V8, except using a Ram-Air filter box on the carb, with the tubes drawing air from the wheel well areas.

I thought about doing that mainly so I could seal up the engine lid (put a piece of fitted black aluminum under the grille areas). Keep the engine tidier and free from water, etc.

Foster
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2007, 10:24 PM) *

lets do some math!

2" x 12"?

2 x pi x r x h

what size hose? 2" ID?
2*pi*r^2
2 x 3.14x1^2

6.3 square inches......

Not a (real) engineer here, but shouldn't you be comparing the size of the tubes to the size of the throttle opening?
Having asked that, even assuming the throttle opening is only 4" dia (12.5 sq"),
the tubes are still like straws. But at least they're jumbo straws and not those little curly straws like in a shape of a bunny or something. smoke.gif
neo914-6
TR's intake in the rear...
drive-ability
QUOTE(p914 @ Oct 1 2007, 10:48 PM) *

How effective are the fans you have on the engine grill lid?

The fans are there to help keep the intake cool in traffic, hard to say really how well they work. My cooling system is fantastic but coolant temp is only one factor. In 100 + degree weather blowing cooler air on the intake seems like a good idea, besides when the lid is up and the engine is running it keeps me cool when I'm tinkering. I took them off a 90 or so Toyota Supra.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Foster @ Oct 1 2007, 11:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2007, 10:24 PM) *

lets do some math!

2" x 12"?

2 x pi x r x h

what size hose? 2" ID?
2*pi*r^2
2 x 3.14x1^2

6.3 square inches......

Not a (real) engineer here, but shouldn't you be comparing the size of the tubes to the size of the throttle opening?
Having asked that, even assuming the throttle opening is only 4" dia (12.5 sq"),
the tubes are still like straws. But at least they're jumbo straws and not those little curly straws like in a shape of a bunny or something. smoke.gif

Each of the 4 butterfly's are 1 .5" x 4= 6" The mass of the butterfly's take up some of that but, I know the engine runs fine to 4500 rpm but beyond that I can't say. I haven't pushed the car much lately. .
Phoenix-MN
heres an intake plenum that should work, ebay 150063211879

Click to view attachment
purple
I only know this from RC engines, but when you put a tube like that on an intake, you're tuning your intake to a certain RPM...and I've never seen something like that work well. Methinks mounting ONE cone straight up and down on the middle round part would serve you better than those two tubes.
jd74914
Whats worse for HP is the throttle butterfly, for maximum torque you really need to speed up the velocity of the intake charge. Theoretically, the system would work best if the TB was about 10x its diameter away from the intake manifold. Not that this works with a v8 system, its slightly impractical packaging.

Now, a v8 engine is suceptable to these RPM tunings, but unless you are working towards maximum power its not a big deal. RC engines are highly tuned in regard to SBCs.
Brian Mifsud
well, I dont' care what any of you say.. and I AM an engineer...so go to hell!!!

he is absolutely right, and I don't give a rats ass what any of you chip-on-the-shoulder shadetree mechanic say....

IT DOES LOOK LIKE THE ROBOT!!!

IPB Image
IPB Image

And I like it alot!!!!
So.Cal.914
If heat is not an issue, I like it. Looks like the rest of your car...Unique.

But those are some pretty small straws.
Brando
Screw the filter idea. Just make a huge velocity stack out of some sheet metal. laugh.gif
drive-ability
QUOTE(Brando @ Oct 2 2007, 11:47 AM) *

Screw the filter idea. Just make a huge velocity stack out of some sheet metal. laugh.gif

I just may pick up another engine lid and do just that! I put the old filter back on brain.gif
Jax914
ditto on the straws....

But I'd be more concerned about the tiny volume above the air horn. The short, small "can" probably won't do much for a nice smooth airflow. I think someone above was hinting that you'll probably have inconsistent efficiency - possibly resulting in rich/lean conditions. You normally don't see a small cover like this except in forced induction applications - where airflow efficiency becomes less a concern because of the pressured environment.

I'd consider going to something larger like a typical SBC dual snorkel filter - you could still dual filter it, but you could also fit an airhorn to smooth the airflow.

Troy
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

K & N makes this cast alum bonnet and has a perfect 4" dia. snout. This pic is with a 4" flex alum flex tube (prototype) going to a 4" neck x 10" long K & N filter.
The filter is (not seen) tucked into the rear qtr. area , and gets some cold air from a duct on the fender. Since the pic, I've installed a custom mandrel bend 4" dia. tube in place of the flex. It works totally better than the old style top mount filter smile.gif
Marty
maf914
hijacked.gif

Damn! I've never seen a V-8 bus before. I like it.
spunone
Why don't we make a low profile stack that will fit a stock filter ??? smash.gif probally cost ya a couple beers??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.