Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Storage Question: Tire Flat Spots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
Will probably put the car in for the winter beginning Nov 1. Go easy on me, you all-year-round West Coasters!

Anyway, leave the tires at full pressure? Brand new Exalto Michelin radials...
Half pressure?
Move it a few inches several times during the winter?
Buy those pads you can roll onto from Griot's Garage?
Put the car on jackstands and worry about sucking out the shocks?

Thanks,

Paul
thomasotten
They are real, but only after sitting a long time (years). They arise when the air pressure drops and the tire goes flat.
Andyrew
I would just give yourself enough room in the garage to roll it back a couple inches every sunday..

How long are you storing it? I didnt touch mine for a year sitting in my garage, and my tires got out of round for about the first 10 miles of driving, after that it went away.. (might have helped that I could roast the tires no problem... but eh.. we'll chalk that up as 'plausable')
woobn8r
Actually you should "overinflate" your tires for storage...if the car is sitting on them....as this is closer to their non flexed shape

The issue is the steel in the belts takes a "set" and It is noticable over a few months.....You could put your car up on jackstands with the weight being borne on the suspension arms (collapsed position)...

Or go find 4 space saver tires (that's my preference)...

Rolling the car , as mentioned is okay too....

But, if you have "R" compound tires...get 'em off and don't let them freeze.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Paul:

I have stored mine sitting on concrete floor at three locations, Storage locker. my machanics garage, my garage, on Michlien Pilots since 2000. No problems, i even bought the trays with wheels to move it around with, they
were used one winter,they now occupy the corner of the garage. Never any tire trouble,i keep them up to reg. pressure. Dave slap.gif
orthobiz
Thanks for the advice. My buddy just put his 911 away with tires half inflated. Ever hear of that?

Probably stored Nov until May.

Paul
woobn8r
When I first started in the tire business, we has an issue at Subaru Canada as a number of cars that had been sitting in their compound over several months had their tires Out of round.

It was determined by the engineers that since the tires were underinflated and the vehicles had sat over 4 months that the steel belts had "set" and a vibration could be felt within a particular speed range.

If not too severe, proper inflation and useage somewhat eased the symptoms. but not correct it over the short term.

Remember car tires also lose a pound of pressure every month not including the variable of dirty/leaky valves.

I would have your friend inflate his 911s tires to the maximum pressure on the sidewall
GWN7
In the days of bias ply tires during really cold days they would freeze with a flat spot which would go away after a 1/2 block of thumping down the road.

Inflate to max and check in the spring.........
73Phoenix20
+1...

I have stored a Porsche (or two) every winter for many years...

"Flat Spots" go away after you starting driving again come Spring!

Or... I'll run her down to the Keys for you and keep the tires nice and round this winter!

;>))
Eric_Shea
My buddy just put his 911 away with tires half inflated.

The woobn8r be correct. Your buddy be wrong... "overinflate"
Pat Garvey
I agree with inflating them to the max.
Though I've gone to raising them off the floor with stands for the last 10 years.
Keeps them round, with no thumping for the first 10 miles in the spring. Interesting that it goes away on it's own after a few miles, but it does.

Mine are 28 years old & still function perfectly, though they'll be replaced in the spring with something decidedly NOT concours.
Pat
porschecb
You asked for it! So take it easy on me. Everybody with a 914 needs to move to CA! We have the room and you can drive your car anytime you want. We are here to help. We are here for a reason and invite you to find out why. I am only here to help. driving.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(porschecb @ Oct 2 2007, 09:07 PM) *

You asked for it! So take it easy on me. Everybody with a 914 needs to move to CA! We have the room and you can drive your car anytime you want. We are here to help. We are here for a reason and invite you to find out why. I am only here to help. driving.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

No - wrong! You all need to move to PA, where your 914 will be spared the extra miles of driving it the extra 4 months that you'd drive it in CA. or, you could move to Ohio, W. VA, Indiana, etc.

Think about all those saved miles!
porschecb
With salt, bad driving conditions and ice! I will stay here!!!!!! I am sorry that with all the choices people have you would live anywhere else but the left coast! biggrin.gif confused24.gif I still like you tho! grouphug.gif smoke.gif smilie_pokal.gif
sww914
I can't take the cold of fall here in Ca, I'm going to Puerto Vallarta for a month. I'll let you know if I see any Porsches. All I've seen so far on previous trips was 1 996 and a bunch of Fords, Jeeps, Nissans and VW's. Probably the cobblestone streets aren't too fun in a sportscar.
URY914
Send it to me in sunny Florida. I'll take care of it for ya. You can come down and visit it in January and take it for a drive. biggrin.gif

jwalters
smile.gif I installed Kumho ecxsta's (sp?) on my 2002 Dodge full size truck. When I would leave the country for just two weeks on a mission, upon return the truck would have a very pronounced vibration while driving. It always took about 50-75 miles of driving to return the tires to round.

One time I left for two months - as much as I love the tires for traction - that almost put me over the edge. dry.gif I had a friend drive the truck at about 3 mph and by watching the tread from the side angle I could actually see the flat spot where it had been sitting..

J

woobn8r

Central Canada is a wonderful place for anyone and their teener....

Four real seasons....

summer...for driving driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
fall...for driving, while all trees change colours driving.gif driving-girl.gif
winter...for upgrades and repairs while your 914 "sleeps" sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif type.gif
spring...for testing , set up and anticipation of the coming season driving.gif aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif

California on a full time basis, hmmmm....landslides, fires, earthquakes, CHP...nope
I lived in Vancouver for a while but there was so much rain...I started to rust (people thought it was a tan)
jwalters
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Oct 4 2007, 09:44 AM) *

Four real seasons....

winter...for upgrades and repairs while your 914 "sleeps" sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif type.gif
spring...for testing , set up and anticipation of the coming season driving.gif aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif

California on a full time basis, hmmmm....landslides, fires, earthquakes, CHP...nope
I lived in Vancouver for a while but there was so much rain...I started to rust (people thought it was a tan)

dry.gif Dude!!!!! Canada SUCKS!!!!

See it from my point of view:

You have universal healthcare > MY president just vetoed expanded healthcare for children because doctors would not be able to afford a new Ferrari every year.

You have gun control laws > WE kill each other with impunity DAILY

You have almost ZERO murder rate > There are more murders in Citronelle (pop <7000) Alabama in one day than in your entire country in a year..

Your citizens are sooooo safe you leave your doors unlocked 24/7 > WE do not let our 14 year olds go out of the home alone.

This is America dammit...WE ARE THe Greate............st....... huh.gif

YOU...... huh.gif you...... idea.gif

UGHHHHH unsure.gif

HMMMMMMM blink.gif

Cheeba anyone??? smoke.gif

uGHH...yep blink.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jwalters @ Oct 4 2007, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Oct 4 2007, 09:44 AM) *

Four real seasons....

dry.gif Dude!!!!! Canada SUCKS!!!!

See it from my point of view:

You have universal healthcare > MY president just vetoed expanded healthcare for children because doctors would not be able to afford a new Ferrari every year.

You have gun control laws > WE kill each other with impunity DAILY

You have almost ZERO murder rate > There are more murders in Citronelle (pop <7000) Alabama in one day than in your entire country in a year..

Your citizens are sooooo safe you leave your doors unlocked 24/7 > WE do not let our 14 year olds go out of the home alone.

This is America dammit...WE ARE THe Greate............st....... huh.gif

YOU...... huh.gif you...... idea.gif

UGHHHHH unsure.gif

HMMMMMMM blink.gif

Don't like America? Don't agree with our Constitution (and please read it before you shoot your mouth off)? Fine, you're free to find a better place to live.

My last words & this should be blocked from this Forum - Admins?

We don't do politics here - take it elsewhere!
Pat

Cheeba anyone??? smoke.gif

uGHH...yep blink.gif

orthobiz
Cool. And to think, this started as a discussion of car storage and tires!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.