Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The WORD on 914 Accessories
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JeffBowlsby
Please take a look at the 914 Accessories page I have updated and let me know what you think. I organized all the information and photos I have collected over the last few years, linked info to accessory photos and catalogs. If you have constructive comments to improve it, or if some of the info shown is wrong, please let me know and I'll make it better. I especially need some part numbers...and better photos of some items.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...Accessories.htm

And now I can go back to driving.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Should not one of these be included in your accessory list?
JeffBowlsby
As far as I know those were factory optional equipment...not dealer accessories. Thanks for the response!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeff,
Awhile back I started a thread on this Forum re: center cushions. As I recall, there was general agreement that the zippered cushion was aftermarket. The other, smooth cushion was considered to be factory.

Paul
Scott S
Jeff,
I remember clearly going to the Porsche dealer in Newport to pick up a bra for my dads six. it was a 1971, and this was probably 1973. The bra covered the entire hood (all the way to the cowl) tied/hooked underneith and had two roll up flaps for the headlights. Have you seen anything on these? I know we bought it from the dealer - he had to order it (along with replacement chrome fog light grills and a new center cushion).
JeffBowlsby
Paul...Well maybe. I have not seen any other catalog/literature/ads or anything listing it. Your photo is the first time I have even heard of it. Maybe it was a locally made item by some 914 owner that the dealerships carried? I hesitate to put it on the webpage without stronger evidence. Maybe I will put it under the 'Other Accessories' at the bottom of the page?

Scott..never saw or heard of a nose mask in that configuration. Photos? Again maybe it was a locally produced item for limited distribution?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 2 2007, 06:19 PM) *

I hesitate to put it on the webpage without stronger evidence.

read here, especially george's response ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72375

looks like the zipper cushion was offered as an accessory through the dealers ...
bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Thanks for posting the link Andy clap56.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Oct 2 2007, 01:51 PM) *

Jeff,
I remember clearly going to the Porsche dealer in Newport to pick up a bra for my dads six. it was a 1971, and this was probably 1973. The bra covered the entire hood (all the way to the cowl) tied/hooked underneith and had two roll up flaps for the headlights. Have you seen anything on these? I know we bought it from the dealer - he had to order it (along with replacement chrome fog light grills and a new center cushion).

Jeff,

I know for a fact that this was something you could get form a dealer back in the day. There is a orginal 914 onwer in the Chicago area that has a nice 71 (I think) that has one of these hood covers. His name is Dennis Roberts, I have a picture somewhere of it. Dennis if you read this chime in please.
alpha434
Saratoga top...
JeffBowlsby
And thats all the authority we need...don't know how that thread missed my attention, but this center pad goes on the list of dealer accessories. Thanks!

If a photo of that full hood nose mask can be located, I would be happy to include that as well.

The Saratoga Top is already on the list with about a dozen photos too...

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2007, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 2 2007, 06:19 PM) *

I hesitate to put it on the webpage without stronger evidence.

read here, especially george's response ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72375

looks like the zipper cushion was offered as an accessory through the dealers ...
bye1.gif Andy
TJB/914
Mr. Bowlsby,

I've been waiting for someone to say it??? What about the super rare "Rear Fog Light" popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif It's a factory issue & should be on your list of "must have" factory accessories. popcorn[1].gif

I know you were waiting for Eric or myself to bring it up. av-943.gif

BTW: Factory accessories are better than dealer accessories. laugh.gif

Tom
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeff,
Let my provide, for your consideration, the following attachment. The 1970 yellow (L11E) on the right is equipped with "slotted lichtmetal alloy trim rings", and the car was originally delivered that way with them. Dealer installed, of course. They look suspiciously like what was also fitted to VWs of the same era.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 6 2007, 03:42 PM) *

Jeff,
Let my provide, for your consideration, the following attachment. The 1970 yellow (L11E) on the right is equipped with "slotted lichtmetal alloy trim rings", and the car was originally delivered that way with them. Dealer installed, of course. They look suspiciously like what was also fitted to VWs of the same era.

And I would add that the chrome wheels on the "other" 914 in the photo were also "dealer supplied" and installed. The photographer knows the story on both of these.

And, to the "bliz" - prove that factory accessories were better! What is your basis of comparison? Oooh, I do love dialogue!!!!!!!
Pat
sixerdon
Pat,
What's the story behind the chin spoiler. Not being a wise ass, just curious about when you bought it and from who.

Don
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 6 2007, 01:42 PM) *

"slotted lichtmetal alloy trim rings"

we need a "Butcher" smilie ... stirthepot.gif

i'm sure you meant: Leichtmetall
shades.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2007, 07:25 AM) *

Pat,
What's the story behind the chin spoiler. Not being a wise ass, just curious about when you bought it and from who.

Don

Don, According to my logbook, I got that from Automotion in the spring of '74. I was looking for some downforce (remember, this was '74 - not a lot of options) for open road driving & autocross. Actually seemed to work pretty well for both, but in open road driving tended to pick up every piece of crap on the road & hold onto it. The day I took it off was after a spirited run around the I-275 loop of Cincinnati. When I pulled into my garage, the "splitter" had acquired a squirrel's tail, some toilet paper and a condom. I gave it to some poor soul, but don't remember who. When back to stock, so now I have some crosswind problems to live with.

No regrets, though.
Pat
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 7 2007, 06:07 PM) *

Pat,

Don

Don, According to my logbook, I got that from Automotion in the spring of '74. I was looking for some downforce (remember, this was '74 - not a lot of options) for open road driving & autocross. Actually seemed to work pretty well for both, but in open road driving tended to pick up every piece of crap on the road & hold onto it. The day I took it off was after a spirited run around the I-275 loop of Cincinnati. When I pulled into my garage, the "splitter" had acquired a squirrel's tail, some toilet paper and a condom. I gave it to some poor soul, but don't remember who. When back to stock, so now I have some crosswind problems to live with.
No regrets, though.

Pat

I was curious how far back that spoiler was introduced. I have one on my '75 that is said by the 2nd owner, that the dealer installed it for the cusomer. I had a long argument with the guy I bought it from that it was not a factory spoiler. He insisted that it came that way from the dealer. I suppose I can chaulk that up with the hood crest issues being installed by the dealers. So long as it doesn't affect factory warranty. Kinda goes with the "silver" 914-6 emblem I have.
Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Pat,

Don

No regrets, though.

Pat

I was curious how far back that spoiler was introduced. I have one on my '75 that is said by the 2nd owner, that the dealer installed it for the cusomer. I had a long argument with the guy I bought it from that it was not a factory spoiler. He insisted that it came that way from the dealer. I suppose I can chaulk that up with the hood crest issues being installed by the dealers. So long as it doesn't affect factory warranty. Kinda goes with the "silver" 914-6 emblem I have.
Don

Don,
Even if it came installed from the dealer, it wasn't Porsche, it was aftermarket. Quite frankly, it was a poor quality part that cracked when hit by a flying condom (as mentioned earlier). But, it DID work.
Pat
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 7 2007, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Pat,

Don

No regrets, though.

Pat

Don

Don,
Even if it came installed from the dealer, it wasn't Porsche, it was aftermarket. Quite frankly, it was a poor quality part that cracked when hit by a flying condom (as mentioned earlier). But, it DID work.
Pat

Pat,
Yes, I am well aware it is aftermarket and I can confirm that it is very functional in cross winds. But dealers did what they had to do to get the car out of the show room. Porsche part or no. We are talking 30+ years ago. P+A was still new and was sold by VWoA. "Want a Porsche crest for your hood? We'll take care of that for you". Instant crest on your 914. Who's going to get in trouble. I remember it was pretty common back in the day.

Don
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 6 2007, 10:30 AM) *

Mr. Bowlsby,

I've been waiting for someone to say it??? What about the super rare "Rear Fog Light" popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif It's a factory issue & should be on your list of "must have" factory accessories. popcorn[1].gif

Tom

The unit shown is a contemporary style rear fog light. Vntage one is chrome housing, and the lense has smooth rounded edges.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Oct 8 2007, 06:37 AM) *

Mr. Bowlsby,

Tom

The unit shown is a contemporary style rear fog light. Vntage one is chrome housing, and the lense has smooth rounded edges.

Good info. I am keeping the one shown on my 914.

You mean this one??

Tom
Eric: I kept the rounded lens so now we can swap out the one I sent you. Eric now has the real one.

Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 8 2007, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Oct 8 2007, 06:37 AM) *

Mr. Bowlsby,

Tom

Good info. I am keeping the one shown on my 914.

You mean this one??

Tom
Eric: I kept the rounded lens so now we can swap out the one I sent you. Eric now has the real one.

Chrome housing with the lens on the left.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 3 2007, 10:05 PM) *

If a photo of that full hood nose mask can be located, I would be happy to include that as well.

I found it. Not the best quality picture, but you get the idea.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.