Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Air Conditioning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Roy
The purpose of this thread is not to debate whether or not the original AC is required in these cars, this has been covered many times and we will all never agree! I know most say these are useless, inefficient systems. I am just wondering which system is better between the optional systems, the VPC or the DPD? If you have any thoughts could you please state why you feel one is better than the other based on any experience you have had. Also, was one system more likely to be fitted to early cars and the other to later cars?
Cap'n Krusty
By the time I left the dealership in mid-1974, all of 'em we sold with A/C had VPC units. In addition the VPC and DPD, there were also Cool Aire and Meier (sp?) Line.

The Cap'n
Roy
Thanks for the response Cap'n. Can I infer from your statement that most DPD units were installed AFTER you left in mid '74? Do you have thoughts on one system being superior to the other?
914rrr
QUOTE(Roy @ Oct 2 2007, 05:12 PM) *

The purpose of this thread is not to debate whether or not the original AC is required in these cars, this has been covered many times and we will all never agree! I know most say these are useless, inefficient systems. I am just wondering which system is better between the optional systems, the VPC or the DPD? If you have any thoughts could you please state why you feel one is better than the other based on any experience you have had. Also, was one system more likely to be fitted to early cars and the other to later cars?

I had a VPC system in my 74 2.0 daily driver in FL, complete with old school piston compressor. It worked great, cooled the car down fast and didn't drag down the engine all that bad. It also defrosted the windows in seconds!
shelby/914
Not a hijack, but. I have a project car with a dpd under dash unit still installed with the compressor and evaporator removed. It has two rectangular cut outs in the front trunk floor rather that the entire floor removed like I've seen on every other a/c car. Is this the normal installation an a dpd system?

Click to view attachment

Just for reference it still has the cut off console with angled gauges

Click to view attachment
Roy
Any other thoughts on system differences?
Roy
Does the quality of the instruction manual reflect on the quality of components? Where the DPD manual is illegible and seemingly poorly written with hand drawn sketches the VPC manual is clear with actual photos and an excellent use of the english language.
Roy
???
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Roy @ Oct 2 2007, 04:20 PM) *

Thanks for the response Cap'n. Can I infer from your statement that most DPD units were installed AFTER you left in mid '74? Do you have thoughts on one system being superior to the other?

No, we'd been selling cars ONLY with VPC for a year or so. Even the Audis had VPC, as the others proved too flimsy and troublesome for the installers. I don't recall what they put in the 911s, as only 2 guys in the shop did all the 911 work, and I wasn't one of them .............. The Cap'n.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.