Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First gear problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
The transmission that came with my car had a problem going into first. Sometimes O.K. and sometimes no way! If I were to put it into first as I am coming to a stop, things work fine but I would need to hold in the clutch the whole time I am stopped.

For the last year, I have been running a different transmission. This one shifts fine except the synchros are worn. I could feel the dog teeth hitting. Not wanting to ruin this transmission, I decided to rebuild the old transmission. I installed a new (expensive) first / reverse operating sleeve and a new synchro ring. The rest of the stack looked fine so nothing else was done. Today I installed the transmission and the same problem it had before remains. All shifting is crisp. I can down shift to second and it feels perfect. Unfortunately, I still sometimes cannot get first from a dead stop. When the transmission was apart, I could push this into gear relatively easily. My shifter bushings are all fine. I have replaced the rear one. The front is still O.K.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
ejm
The mainshaft is still turning with the clutch in. If the adjustment is good the problem could be the disc dragging on the splines, a warped disc or a bad pilot bushing. Andy just had a similar problem but I forget what he found. Maybe do a search.
SirAndy
- worn transmission rubber mounts
- bend shiftrod
- worn rubber engine mounts
- bend engine mount bar
- incorrectly adjusted shifter
- incorrectly adjusted clutch
- worn shifter coupler or setscrews

to name a few ...
bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(ejm @ Oct 2 2007, 05:23 PM) *

Andy just had a similar problem but I forget what he found.

clutch needed adjustment. i'll have to add a shim for the clutch-fork pivot. it's working for now, but the arm hits the case when the pedal is fully pressed down.
rolleyes.gif Andy
alpha434
One of the little balls is has broken loose and is floating around your case, jamming up first gear on occasion.

You'll need a complete rebuild. I'll do it all for the low price of $7,500.00! We'll meet in a dark corner of the Walmart parking lot, bring the money in a suitcase, and I'd prefer unmarked 20s. THANKS!

:rofl:
Dr Evil
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Oct 2 2007, 10:38 PM) *

One of the little balls is has broken loose and is floating around your case, jamming up first gear on occasion.

You'll need a complete rebuild. I'll do it all for the low price of $7,500.00! We'll meet in a dark corner of the Walmart parking lot, bring the money in a suitcase, and I'd prefer unmarked 20s. THANKS!

:rofl:

blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.