Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to tighten front shock nut?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I'm having a problem tightening the nut that holds the top of the front shock absorber. I've used an impact wrench, but still can't tighten it enough without the shock turning.

Did the factory have a special wrench to hold the support washer (911 341 018 00) that fits into the slot cut into the threads on the top of the shock absorber? If so, does anyone have a pic and/or description?

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
John
Use a spanner wrench. It has a hook that grabs the slot in the big washer. The washer is keyed to the shock top.

I don't have a picture handy of what I use, but they are called spanners.

I don't use them very often, but they work well. I believe the set that I have came from either Northern Tools or Harbor Freight.

TimT
get rid of the ny-lock nut and double nut it....rattle it up with an impact, and snug a lock-nut down.

wait I'm not supposed to say that ...but...we have a few in house racecars that are like that

TimT
Also do you have load on the strut?

If the wheel is in the air you can have a problem tightening that nut
Mike D.
You can also use a BIG pipe wrench to hold then impact it down....
watsonrx13
Thanks everyone for your recommendations... I'll get on it this weekend...

-- Rob
jim912928
Big pipe wrench on the keyed washer...torque wrench on the nut and you are good to go
John
Here is a pic of a similar tool that I use. Mine came in a set of 4. It doesn't chew up the washer like a pipe wrench will.

Joe Ricard
Too late now but ...........
Impact wrench on a shock install is NOT a good idea. it will screw up the shock.
I am certain you only seen me take shocks off that way. but putting new shocks on get the piston captured while the nut is tightened.
watsonrx13
Thanks John, that's what I was looking for....where did you get yours?

Joe, I didn't use the impact wrench to put it on, only to take if off, I tried using the torque wrench to tighten it..... wacko.gif

-- Rob
Project 6
BIG Channel Locks on the washer, wheel on the ground and ratchet it down.
John
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Oct 3 2007, 03:33 PM) *

Thanks John, that's what I was looking for....where did you get yours?

Joe, I didn't use the impact wrench to put it on, only to take if off, I tried using the torque wrench to tighten it..... wacko.gif

-- Rob

I think I got them at Harbor Freight, but I didn't see them on their website.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.