Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3D CAD of Type IV engine or 901 Tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
root
I started drawing a 3D CAD image of the type 4 engine but it's a big effort to get the locations of threads, etc.... headbang.gif

Anybody know if there's a 3D file (fairly accurate) out there somewhere? biggrin.gif

My avatar is the crude start I have drawn so far! beer.gif
alpha434
Find a local machine shop with a CMM. Use it to revere engineer key pieces. You can even make a drawing based on the data it collects right away.

Should cost 80 bucks/hour.
root
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Oct 2 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Find a local machine shop with a CMM. Use it to revere engineer key pieces. You can even make a drawing based on the data it collects right away.

Should cost 80 bucks/hour.

I was kinda looking for a 'low-cost' answer. I'm building a motorcycle using the type 4 engine and 901 tranny and want to visualize and scale the project before the fun begins. There's some obviously questionable aspects to it! My budget is tiny so I'm seriously restricted on using state-o-art high tech $$$ technology. I have a friend who has access to a 2D coordinate measuring system but not 3D. I'll just keep on working it the old school way 'till something cheaper comes along! biggrin.gif
jimkelly
new pics

does that reach to the handle bars seem faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to you : )

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/11/...red-motorcycle/

Dr Evil
Right ON! But, I agree with Jim, ya aint that tall spanky. Maybe you should stick with a 1300 TI engine so you dont have to worry about weight, cooling, cost, etc. It should bolt up to a 901, right?
root
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 3 2007, 08:17 AM) *

Right ON! But, I agree with Jim, ya aint that tall spanky. Maybe you should stick with a 1300 TI engine so you dont have to worry about weight, cooling, cost, etc. It should bolt up to a 901, right?

That's why I need to 3D it first! I figure that's the best way to pre-determine the setup and my reach ability.

Length - Type 4 length front-to-back (without the fan housing) = 17".
901 front-to-back = 23". 17 + 23 = 40". If you stradle the 901 length is really not the question. So KMA.gif on length.

Weight - not a problem I need to loose a few anyway! chair.gif

Cooling - I have a simple "top-secret" idea for cooling! cheer.gif

Cost - Now as for cost that's where we get to what I wanted to talk to you guys about..... donations anyone? biggrin.gif
root
Why isn't my new avatar working?
Here's my TIV CAD so far..... I know it needs lot's of work! dry.gif
Brian Mifsud
I asked the same question last year. Nobody on the board has a cad model, or if they do, they ain't volunteering it.

When in doubt, buy a Type IV that needs rebuilding. You are gonna need it anyway. Measure and model. If you already have the true gross dimensions, you will already have the info you need to know if the engine is too big to work for what you want. Otherwise, get to it... if you don't have the money............

BTW... I like Solidworks and use it daily. If there are other users on the board, maybe we can share the modeling task and build up a library for the community's use???

I've got much of the '76 Smog System already modeled as well as other bits unrelated ('70 4/5 lug rear hub casting), etc.

brer
I think you would have better luck finding original engineering schematics than a CAD model. Valid models are quite valuable.

I have a copy of the 36hp cylinder head plans and could produce a model from those easily. They did cost a few pennies though.

Aside from that I recommend that you befriend a student at a technology equipped university and have him map your parts in the middle of the night.

this is shot from my 1.7/1.8 project that is nearly finished. mapping was essential.
we've already cut the first samples, next is install.

aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(root @ Oct 3 2007, 09:32 AM) *

Length - Type 4 length front-to-back (without the fan housing) = 17".
901 front-to-back = 23". 17 + 23 = 40".

oh the horror! huh.gif

if you're going through all that trouble, the least you could do is to make it a metric model.
stirthepot.gif biggrin.gif Andy
brer
I have a 2 cylinder Citroen 45hp motor i can sell you.
shorter and lighter, still 4 stroke. New in the crate.

shades.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(root @ Oct 3 2007, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 3 2007, 08:17 AM) *

Cooling - I have a simple "top-secret" idea for cooling! cheer.gif

Yeah me too...GO FASTER ! laugh.gif
jimkelly
well - it seems reach for handle bars might not too bad after all - but i think i would want seat higher - jim

i say reverse engineer that bitch - i say mount trans to engine ( 1.8 single carbed ) and tack weld build the a mock frame under engine and get rear wheel mated orientated - then go from there - with rest of mock up. Once mock up complete - build nicer frame maybe with bent tubing - or not : )

as you can see - even this builder did his simpler one first - and THEN kicked it up a notch with rear suspenson/super charger/etc.
root
Alot of detail in that ride! Great for show but "chrome won't get you home".

My goal is to build a comfortable, long range tour bike. No frills just solidly built with a reasonable suspension under it! biggrin.gif

The position of his leg and foot looks uncomfortable...... I'd still like to ride it around the block one or twice!

root
QUOTE(brer @ Oct 3 2007, 11:09 AM) *

this is shot from my 1.7/1.8 project that is nearly finished. mapping was essential.
we've already cut the first samples, next is install.

aktion035.gif

So what is that image supposed to be anyway? Sorry but it doesn't make sense to me confused24.gif
BahnBrenner914
I'm up here at TriState University (a Mechanical Engineering major), and we have Pro-Engineer and I think we also have Solidworks, but I'm not familiar with it. I could make up CAD files from schematics/blueprints but my "free time" isnt free, and I'm poor, so I'd need some compensation.
dlo914
Found this while browsing www.kneeslider.com, pretty cool for you bike guys: http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/07/...orcycle-models/
similar to the paper cut out 914's. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.