Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cost of corner balance and alignment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I dropped my car off at a local performance shop for a corner balance and alignment. They charge by the hour and the guy initially stated 3 to 4 hours. I'm ok with that. I get a call in the afternoon, saying they are having a hard time corner balancing, they want to keep it overnight and finish the next day. I told them fine, but afterwards I'm suspicious of the extra time involved. As far as I can tell, this car has never been wrecked. The suspension is in good repair.

Should it take this long or am I getting soaked??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(blitZ @ Oct 3 2007, 05:22 AM) *

I dropped my car off at a local performance shop for a corner balance and alignment. They charge by the hour and the guy initially stated 3 to 4 hours. I'm ok with that. I get a call in the afternoon, saying they are having a hard time corner balancing, they want to keep it overnight and finish the next day. I told them fine, but afterwards I'm suspicious of the extra time involved. As far as I can tell, this car has never been wrecked. The suspension is in good repair.

Should it take this long or am I getting soaked??

If you are street driving your car, and it is level (middle of the rear of the front torsion bar to the ground subtracted from measure of middle of the wheel cap to the ground, and with that the rear (after making sure that the springs are showing about three inches of tire between the wheel and the fender lip) measures level from the front bottom tip of the fender well to the ground, then it is good enough (after checking the tire pressure) for an alignment w/o corner balance.
A 914 alignment starts in the rear by setting the camber and that is the hardest thing to do especially if the bolts do not break loose easily, then of course we hope that the springs are not sagging or the car too low as at that point too many shims would have to be added to restore 30 minutes of negitive camber.
Then we set the toe and hope that the arm is not bent. It is easy to toe the car out more but hard to toe it in as one would have to push the tire forward! (we find many of these cars impossible to adjust the toe IN because of previous off road or impact excursions!)
SO after setting the car up as previously described and installing it on the alignment machine and setting the rear alignment, if everything goes well, we have burned up two hours. Then we set the front camber and caster at the same time from the front strut top, again hoping the car is not too low so we can achieve 0 camber. Finally we set the front toe in hoping that the tie rod assemblies are without play. The front end stuff if everything goes well takes 30 minutes to do a very careful job.
Bottom line, we charge four labor units for a careful 914 alignment and that equates to about 300.00 Most alignment shops just do not take the time to align a 914 properly but most are not sensitive enough to tell the difference!
dflesburg
Performance alignment in Cincinnati did my car.

It needed everything fixed as the car was just bolted togeather(sort of), nothing set and taken to them...

He bitched when I picked it up that it took him over 6 hours and there was stuff that wasnt even tight...

it is much better now. Six hours labor is expensive. but it was worth it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.