Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you put on the firewall shifter boot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey guys, I just replaced my shifter bushings and the boot at the firewall was never secured in any way. How is it attached to the firewall? does it go around the lip?

What tips do you guys have to get this boot on?

Thanks
PeeGreen 914
I t does go around the lip, and you can get it on by just working it on there. It isn't too hard.
purple
do you put it on the firewall first and then stretch it over the shifter linkage side?
maf914
You should slide the boot onto the rear shift rod from the rear up to the universal joint, connect the universal to the forward shift rod at the fire wall, then slide the boot over the joint onto the fire wall mounting lip. I don't think you can get the small end of the boot over the universal joint.
SGB
I had to stop repeatedly to wash my hands in order to grip the boot tighly enough to get it around that firewall lip.
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 4 2007, 07:13 AM) *

I had to stop repeatedly to wash my hands in order to grip the boot tighly enough to get it around that firewall lip.

I must have wasted 2 cans of brakleen on that thing to clean it enough to get a grip on it. then it got a nice dosing of silicon lube to help it slide over the lip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.