Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you have AC installed in the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
How many here have working AC in their 914? What's your pro's & con's with it? I am somewhat trying to sell my 88 944, I waffle everytime I drive it if I really should or not.

Anyway, if I do sell it then I want to replace it with another car. Something with better gas mileage than my Dodge Ram truck (19 mpg on a good day). Been thinking of another 914 as my around town driver & sunny day car and keep my other 914 as my dedicated AX car driving.gif aktion035.gif Thing is I'm getting older, it gets hot & muggy here in the summer, and well dang it I like having AC. biggrin.gif I know there is another thread here on which system is better and I guess this thread goes somewhat along with that one. My other concern is even finding a solid 914 with working AC, I guess they are out there. OK, I'm rambling now........

Your thoughts?
Brando
As far as I can recall -- the AC system installed in 914s was sort of hack and slash. Most times they cut a section out of the rear trunk and riveted or glued in a awkward sheet to cover the damage. Cut a huge hole in the front trunk for the condenser.

The best after-market setup I've seen doesn't chop the rear trunk up, nor the front trunk up. Evaporator core was in the 'mixing chamber' in the dash and the condenser was very wide and thin, run across the bottom of the car. R12 system that blew so cold your nipples would freeze.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
mine works perfectly VPC system. Ice cold with R-12 and nice
ClayPerrine
Betty's 914 has a DPD system that I converted to R-134a with a modern compressor. It blows plenty cold, and she drives it to work every day, even when it is over 100 degrees here.

I am going to upgrade the condenser fan to improve the performance, but it cools really well now.
3d914
Garold,

I too have AC in my 74 and it does a decent job as well. With such a small cabin to cool, I just need to keep it shaded when sitting out all day. I made, and you can buy from others, a cockpit cover that covers just the glass area - it helps a lot.

If you do a search either here or over at Pelican I have a complete write-up about my system with a schematic for getting it wired up correctly.

THe only real draw-back to the dealer systems is the blower fan. Even on high it just doesn't move a lot of air. Its almost equivalent to speed-2 on your 944. I've been watching for a more modern fan motor replacement but haven't seen one yet.

Stay cool!
Brando
You could always get 2 that 'heater blower' kit on JC whitney's website, adapt it to the tubes under the cowling and wire it in-line with your current blower, so the speed settings control those 2 fans instead of working that antiquated low-velocity blower in there.
914sBaby!
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 3 2007, 11:32 AM) *

So Doc..................... how much is one of those ICE COLD, R12 systems?
orthobiz
Steve's Sahara Beige car has 914. Bet it's working!

Paul
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(914sBaby! @ Oct 4 2007, 12:01 AM) *

e bay ice cold for 600 I am sure a complete factory system. Then the new r-12 200 bucks!
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 4 2007, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(914sBaby! @ Oct 4 2007, 12:01 AM) *

e bay ice cold for 600 I am sure a complete factory system. Then the new r-12 200 bucks!

$200 for the R-12 plus more for someone with a license to put it in sad.gif
Dr Evil
I have a bunch of old stock systems if anyone wants one. Real cheap!
charliew
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2007, 08:02 PM) *

I am shopping for a good under dash unit to complete the vpc parts already in my 75. How much for a really good unit shipped to. 76638? thanks,
Charlie
andys
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2007, 06:02 PM) *

Would you mind PM'g me a photo or two of what you have?

Thanks,

Andys
andys@aemf.org
914sBaby!
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2007, 06:02 PM) *

Hey Dr. E:

I would be interested in a great under-dash unit. Have any of those? Thanks!
Ga Dan
I also am interested in A/C, I currently have a 1.7, how would the A/C affect the driving until I upgrade my engine?
Dr Evil
Wow, I have gotten a lot of interest in the under dash unit in PMs, too. I''ll see how many I can get and let ya'll know in the order of interest. biggrin.gif
joeav8tor
Steve Gagliones Sahara Beige 914 blows cold and is original (dealer installed)
must be nice to have.
Joe
Ga Dan
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2007, 11:59 AM) *

Wow, I have gotten a lot of interest in the under dash unit in PMs, too. I''ll see how many I can get and let ya'll know in the order of interest. biggrin.gif

So what all is involved in installing a A/C system and at what cost?
Brando
What's involved?

Cutting, running lines, fabbing up mounting for a compressor, choosing where your evaporator will go, choosing where your condensor will go, money for parts, and/or possibly money for someone else to install it, or possibly money to pay for someone to do all the work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.