Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late fuel pump in early teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
My 73 2.0 already has a 75-76 / late style FI fuel pump in it. It is currently mounted on the firewall. It has factory D-Jet injection and seems to run well with the late pump.

I want to move it up under the gas tank, and was wondering if there is any performance issues in doing so, i.e; do you simply run the return fuel line back to the tank?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 3 2007, 01:35 PM) *

My 73 2.0 already has a 75-76 / late style FI fuel pump in it. It is currently mounted on the firewall. It has factory D-Jet injection and seems to run well with the late pump.

I want to move it up under the gas tank, and was wondering if there is any performance issues in doing so, i.e; do you simply run the return fuel line back to the tank?

You just run the return line straight back to the tank. In the front, hook the pump into the suction line.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you replace the plastic fire starter fuel lines with a good stainless steel line.

drgchapman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 3 2007, 11:40 AM) *

You just run the return line straight back to the tank. In the front, hook the pump into the suction line.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you replace the plastic fire starter fuel lines with a good stainless steel line.

agree.gif

Remember, you will be running full fuel pressure from the front of the car to the back. Call racer chris, he has the best SS fuel line set up for this.
914rrr
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Oct 3 2007, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 3 2007, 11:40 AM) *

agree.gif

Remember, you will be running full fuel pressure from the front of the car to the back. Call racer chris, he has the best SS fuel line set up for this.

Already bought 'em. biggrin.gif BTW, is the larger line used for the discharge side of the pump?

Another question. Can you simply ground the pump to the body via a short lead, or should I run the ground wire all the way back along with the + lead?
2-OH!
Ground it in the front...I used the ground by the headlight bucket...

If your car is a 73-74, are you going to cut the front bulkhead for access under the tank, or take the tank out each time you need to service...My pump is 30+ years old, gonna' fail soon...

I mounted mine in the front space in the corner by the spare tire...That way I can get to it and the filter without removing the tank...Made a sheet metal cover to protect and ran the hoses through the front bulkhead using two 1" holes in the bulkhead...

I used the larger line as the return and the smaller line as the pressure...

2-OH!
914rrr
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Oct 3 2007, 04:40 PM) *

If your car is a 73-74, are you going to cut the front bulkhead for access under the tank, or take the tank out each time you need to service...My pump is 30+ years old, gonna' fail soon...

I mounted mine in the front space in the corner by the spare tire...That way I can get to it and the filter without removing the tank...Made a sheet metal cover to protect and ran the hoses through the front bulkhead using two 1" holes in the bulkhead...

2-OH!

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on mounting the pump and filter under the steering rack cover, but I do like your pump placement idea. I may put it up top somewhere instead. Maybe even put it in the stock location for a 75-76 since I have a couple of spare pump covers.
Cap'n Krusty
Many 911s have the pump mounted on the crossmember. Not a bad place, if you have the clearance .............. The Cap'n
Inspector
Hello I am new here I bought a conversion 3.2 and it has the plastic lines which look new but to small And I pretty sure it is way over pressureized due to a 3.2. Who is racer chris? I dont dont want to burn! Ps how do I change my user name
norcalwtc
QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 3 2007, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(2-OH! @ Oct 3 2007, 04:40 PM) *

2-OH!

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on mounting the pump and filter under the steering rack cover, but I do like your pump placement idea. I may put it up top somewhere instead. Maybe even put it in the stock location for a 75-76 since I have a couple of spare pump covers.

I need those SS lines for my 74 does anyone have a link or email?

ejm
Racer Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.