Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new mcmark engine on the way....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
original 1973 FI engine to dual carbs $5k 2056? i have the carbs/linkage and all coming along with an electronic dizzy. throw out your recommendations so i can take care of stuff beforehand and be ready to drop and roll.

muchas gracias....

scott
mike373
QUOTE(scottb @ Oct 3 2007, 04:17 PM) *

original 1973 FI engine to dual carbs $5k 2056? i have the carbs/linkage and all coming along with an electronic dizzy. throw out your recommendations so i can take care of stuff beforehand and be ready to drop and roll.

muchas gracias....

scott

Replace your fuel lines with stainless from tangerineracing.com . Clean out engine bay, replace battery tray if needed. Repack cv's. Change engine mounts. Replace shift linkage bushings.

ConeDodger
Scott,
Congratulations on your new motor. I probably held it up a little as Mark was working on my car around the same time he was building your motor. My apologies... I second the motion for CFR SS fuel tunnel lines. Keep in mind that since you are going to carbs, you only need a feed and not a return line. Chris does accomodate this with a carb engine kit... Of course, you are probably fairly local to him anyway right?
You will need a different fuel pump as well, Not sure where your current pump is located but you can move to the front if you want. Carbs are really particular about junk in the fuel so consider restoring your fuel tank while you are at it.
Think about what you are going to do for fuel filter and regulation. If your regulator is adjustable be sure to put it somewhere that allows you to adjust it.
Do a search for a thread in which SirAndy the blurry eyed one outlines how to trick the relay board when you switch to carbs. It is simple and involves a short wire to ground from the relay board but you have to find the right lug...
Get yourself some oil for your first change. Not sure if Mark ships with oil in the motor. Also, get yourself some fuel line and clamps. Charge your battery!
Have fun.
ejm
If you are swapping your tin you'll want to paint or powdercoat it. There's a place that does powdercoat right around the corner from my shop. What are you doing with the FI stuff?
rhodyguy
get the cb rotary pump. figure out which route you're going to go breather box wise. you only need the single large line from chris. clean your fuel tank. perform andy's jumper wire trick. go motorvatin'...

k
scottb
OK

new fuel pump = check, got it

fuel line = check, got it

fuel pump in front = check, already there

i have a new (to me) fuel tank with a new sender and all cleaned out. that will be going in.

need the andy blurry special brain jumper thingy. will have to look that up.

is there going to be any routing of the throttle cable i need to worry about? i have a center pull linkage coming.

ed- old engine is gonna just sit for now. no plans for the FI. you'se gots needs? maybe my people can talk to your people..... (east coast talk....)

hadn't thought about the tin. may have to give that a go. really just want to drive...... aktion035.gif driving.gif
rhodyguy
are you getting a mallory dist? order the Aurora wires from aircooled.net. i don't know where else you can get them.

k
Grimstead
Cool deal Scott, glad to see it coming together.

As far as adding to your list, three items & two suggestions come to mind:

1. CHT gauge (make sure it's temp compensating)
2. Dual oil pressure sender/oil pressure gauge
3. Replace the cheesehead screws with allen heads (Aaron just did this and it's a nice touch)

S1. Test fit the heat exchangers before you put the engine in & make sure the flanges are flat, even if you have been using them (Clayton is big on this one).
S2. Make sure the gap is set on the Mallory (or have Mark check) and be sure to have a adjustable timing light handy.

I can't wait to hear how it goes (is Mark driving it out? laugh.gif ).

PS, Let me know how the plug wires are (Mark poke.gif )
McMark
Damn, I forgot Bill.

:wince:
I'll get them this week.
Cevan
You're doing what I want to be doing in a couple of years. I'd love to check out how it all comes together. Curious to see the difference between my 1.8 and a 2056.
jaminM3
What pistons and cylinders are you using? I am getting some of Len's heads and want to build back up the 2.0 I have in parts...
scottb
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Oct 5 2007, 07:43 PM) *

What pistons and cylinders are you using? I am getting some of Len's heads and want to build back up the 2.0 I have in parts...

came with the kit from jake to mcmark. mcmark can give you the skinny.

cevan, where in western mass are you? are you the red 914 i see on occasion around west springfield? i was considering an engine swap party to blast through the whole process in a day if possible. any interest?

lastly, can someone send me in the right direction for the blurry jumper pic from andy? i have had no luck with my search.

thanks........
rhodyguy
actually the pictures are superb and the text is straight forward. a must view for guys with carbs. lalupalui forum. i'll bump the thread for you scott. i'm link ability lacking.
ConeDodger
I was kidding about the pic being blurry. It is just an Andy thing we tease him about.

REposted without permission so you don't have to do a search. Photo credit to the Resident German.
rhodyguy
huh?...can't move it up. it's about 3/4 of the way down on the 1st page. you will have to modify the harness to accept the new pump end wire connector. a couple of snips and crimps.

k
ejm
QUOTE(scottb @ Oct 7 2007, 01:18 PM) *

cevan, where in western mass are you? are you the red 914 i seen on occasion around west springfield? i was considering an engine swap party to blast through the whole process in a day if possible. any interest?

Scott, if the red car you see around the westside is somewhat faded it's not cevan but a guy I know that lives out by you. I think he looks in here but doesn't post. Pretty sure we could get a couple of people together for an engine swap day. When do you think you'll do this?
scottb
Scott, if the red car you see around the westside is somewhat faded it's not cevan but a guy I know that lives out by you. I think he looks in here but doesn't post. Pretty sure we could get a couple of people together for an engine swap day. When do you think you'll do this?

ed, don't really have a date yet. hoping for perhaps the weekend of the 20th but time will tell.....

all depends on what i am able to get done in the interim.

if there is interest, i can get things organized for food and grog along with making sure i have all the parts.

cheers,

scott
Cevan
QUOTE(scottb @ Oct 7 2007, 01:18 PM) *

cevan, where in western mass are you? are you the red 914 i see on occasion around west springfield? i was considering an engine swap party to blast through the whole process in a day if possible. any interest?

I'm in Granby (Mass). That car you see isn't mine. I met the owner of that car last night at the Conn Valley PCA monthly meeting. His is scarlet red with Fuchs, real nice! And he has a 2.0.

Mine is a '75, Malaga red, Mahle wheels, chrome bumpers. Keep me posted as to when you're doing the engine swap. Even if I only have a couple of hours, I'll swing by.

What size is the motor that's coming out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.