Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Guess what I've got
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I've got Lymes Disease. Again.

weeeeeeeeeeee.

Went to the docs today to get my throat looked at, as it has been sore for a while, and I recently started sneezing and hacking up a lung.

By coincidence, I looked at my leg last night and noticed a red lump with a rash starting to form around it. I know that THAT is.

So after my exam for the sore throat, the doc asked, "any thing else?"
I said, "Yeah, check this out!" and showed him the bulls eye.
He said, "Huh, I've been seeing a lot more of this this year. Time to get you on some drugs."

So, yeah. My joints are starting to ache now. I'm so awesome.

The good news is that the drugs that will kill the Lymes, will also take care of the sore throat.

If you live in the Mid Atlantic (where it is becoming epidemic) , please keep an eye out for signs of Lymes Disease. If caught early, its no big thing. But if it goes undetected, it will make life hell, and then might kill you.

One the good side of things. I used my time off today to put my pedal cluster back togethre. It looks really good!

Zach

scotty b
Isn't this your second time this year?? Sucks big time man. Best wishes.
Project 6
Maybe you should stop hanging out with Deer Ticks?
rick 918-S
My oldest son had a red rashy spot on his leg last week. He thought it was a spyder bit. Maybe it was a deer tick... hmmm. He did go the the doc and got some anti biotics... Cephalexin?

What did they give you for it?

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bass Fisher @ Oct 3 2007, 08:12 PM) *

Maybe you should stop hanging out with Deer Ticks?

I thought a dear tick was that thing my wife does with her eye, when the time is "appropriate"!

Sorry, I don't mean to make lightly of this because it IS serious stuff. Particularly on the east coast.

But.....I'd still like to see that "tick" more frequently - know whatta mean?
VaccaRabite
Nah, fist time this year. Last time I found the tick and got rid of it before badness could happen.

I forgot I had posted about that.

Zach
Brando
See out here in real civilization... we don't have so much issues with feral bugs and diseases.

Just idiots.
grantsfo
I always worry about ticks and Lyme disease. I have picked up a couple ticks on hikes, but usually get them before it becomes a problem.

Glad you cuaght it early.
smj
Sorry to hear you got it at all, but good that you caught it early. A friend on Long Island wasn't diagnosed for almost a year and has had a horrible time for the following several years. Among other things half his face was paralyzed (neuralgia?) and he's only slowly starting to get sensation back in it now.
root
Zach,
Sorry you got bit!
But I want to see the bite mark!
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Cjllong
My mother got bit by a tic almost 20 years ago. She thought it was a spider bite and din't do much about it. It went untreated for years. They eventually figured it out, but it was too late. She suffers from fiber mialgia (SP?) and is in constant pain. If you get bit by a tic, save the tic for the Dr. and get it checked out immediatley!

Just my concerened warning.
scotty b
I'd be willing to bet you have neveer been bitten by a tick while werking on the 914 poke.gif Probably developed a few tics though av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
Not working on my 914, per sey. But I have brushed off several tics before they dug in while looking at old cars. Old cars and tall grass just go together.

I know more people who have had it then people who have not. Most of them got bit doing things like working in their garden, or cutting the grass. One guy got bit waiting for the Metro in DC. My mom's fiancee got it, and his idea of the outdoors is watching it on TV, and they live in downtown Baltimore. The Mid-A has the highest concentration of deer ticks in the country. Most people will never even know they picked it up, until it gets bad. Even then it is hard for doctors to diagnose.

IPB Image

Map of cases of lymes in the country. Look where they all are.

Getting a Lymes test every year with your physical is a very good idea if you live in MidA. It required blood drawn, but it is cheap insurance. Catch it early, cause once it is set in, it is VERY hard to reverse the damage done.

Oh, and the rash is going away, flue symptoms are going away, joint pain is gone. The bullseye got to about 3 inches in diameter at its biggest. I just wish my allergies would go away too. Shame anti-biotics won't cure that...

Oh, sorry Root. The bite is on my hiney. No one wants to see pictures of my big hairy white ham.

Zach

scotty b
I'm kind of surprised that north has SO many cases. I would have thought the mid atlantic and south would have been the higher areas. Guess I have lucked out. All the years in the boy scouts and all the cam[ing I have done since being out I have been bitten MANY times and have never gotten it. Glad to hear you are getting better beerchug.gif
Spoke
Zach,

Hope you get well soon. Those little buggers really freak me out. We have deer that come through our yard and my garden every night.

I've gotten 2 brown ticks on me this year but no deer ticks. Brown ticks aren't as bad as deer ticks and are much larger.

I avoid tall grass when possible but doing things like golfing sometimes requires hikes through the tall stuff. I guess I should try to keep the ball in the fairway. chair.gif

We were hanging at my Bro's place when my 25 year old nephew started scratching behind his knee and said he felt a bump. He pulled it off and looked at it; it was tiny. We couldn't tell what it was until my brother got his binoculars and turned them around to be a magnifying glass. Sure as shit, it was a deer tick. He got it golfing.

Just for a little tick humor, several years ago we were at a friends house and he found a tick on his dog. We brainstormed of how to remove the tick without ripping the head off.

We wanted the tick to back itself out so it would be easily removed. Our first method was rubbing alcohol. Wetted the tick down and waited, nothing.

Then we thought heat will do it. So we got a match, lit it and applied some heat. Unfortunately we ignited the alcohol and set the dog on fire. blowup.gif

After putting the dog fire out, we just pulled the tick off.

Spoke
scotty b
Hanging out with Mr Vick I see dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.