Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shop for PPI (944) in Seattle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smj
I've been away from the World for a few weeks trying to figure out my next steps with the house, cars, etc. Looking at what I ought to do to my 944S, I started thinking about replacing it... Now I've got my eye on a 944S2 up near Seattle, and I need a pre-purchase inspection.

Anybody in the greater Sea-Tac area care to recommend a shop that's good with front-engined wasserpumpers? This particular car has been taken care of at Greg Fordahl's shop for a few years, so I'd say they're out of the running.

Thanks in advance,
--Steve.
reverie
Dude, the haruspexes say Gerber Motorsports.. cool.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=368743
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, Gerber would be good. They are very reputable.

Who's car is it? If they are an AXer I may know the car as well.
sixnotfour
Is the car in Seattle or Bellvue ?

Eastside-Bellvue Close to Fordahls

Chris's German Auto Services
www.chrisgerman.com
1503 130th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98005
(425) 462-9296

Squire's Autowerke
www.squiresautowerke.com
1515 134th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98005
(425) 641-3212
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, those are both right down the street from Fordahl, and they are both great shops.
rjames
Gerber is on my stromberg.gif list, and I know of at least one other person who feels the same way. Do with that info as you will.

PeeGreen 914
What happened Robert? I wouldn't go there personally, but I have not heard anything bad from them. Would be good to know about.
rhodyguy
re gerber. you can check with smooth eddie and rich d too. if john walker will do a ppi on a 944 that's were i'd go. he seems to be a pretty straight shooter and has a good rep.
sixnotfour
John Walker wont touch a water cooled Porsche ,
Now if had wood sides on it maybe. (buick/cadilac woody's)
smj
There seems to be a lot of positive comments about Chris' German, and it's close to the seller's regular mechanic, so I think that's what I'll go with.

Thanks everybody! I'll let you know how it turns out.
dinomium
Chris' or Squire if the car is on the eastside... For a southsound shop I would use Pat's Autosport in Auburn. Not porsche specific, but he is a good wrench and worked at a Porsche Dealer years ago...
smj
I tried Chris', but he was short-handed and recommended Squire's. Since some of you cleared Squire's too I went ahead with Squire's. I'm pretty happy with Squire's check.

The car's another matter. Seller's asking $9,500. Engine pulls well driving, and car handles well. But the engine is leaking at both front and rear crank shaft seals, badly, and at the oil cooler hose attachments. Motor mounts shot, one ball joint "dangerous," etc. Bad paint, and sloppy respray of parts. And a pretty long list of other stuff, including non-op A/C -- which could be a can of refrigerant, or $2,000 in parts and hoses...

So, I'm thinking it over but it isn't the rosy picture the seller painted. And again, I'm grateful to Squire for doing a good job and to those of you who helped me out. You guys rock!
rhodyguy
that ppi saved you a bunch of grief. money well spent. keep looking.

k
boxstr
If you are still looking for a 944 I have one at CAMP that already has an Inspection report from Marque Motors before it came to CAMP.
If interested email me at camp914@comcast.net It is priced at $4000.
CCL
smj
Thanks, but that looks like an 83-early 85 example. I'm (perhaps myopically) focused on an S2 or 968 coupe for now.

Reminds me that I wish I hadn't sold the cookie cutters from my early '85...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.