Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pristine survivor on Ebay!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jaminM3
Check this baby out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=330172345822

It will be interesting to see how high this one sells for. idea.gif
Ferg
Nice car!

Rear bumper and emblem? has been replaced...

cool emissions sticker on windshield.

Looks like a perfect early rain tray av-943.gif

Ferg
Ferg
First, I'm not "picking" this car apart, the car looks awesome.

what is this timing hole cover??? early car thing?

Gustl
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 4 2007, 05:53 PM) *

what's wrong with the rear bumper?
idea.gif Gustl
angerosa
Wow - That's clean. I do see the typical battery tray rust. But the interior and all the seals look great for being 36 years old. Do a ground up restoration to fix the dents, freshen up the paint and take care of the few tiny spots of rust and I think you have a concourse winner.
Ferg
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 4 2007, 09:09 AM) *

idea.gif Gustl

later style...

I would expect it to have a gold 914 emblem as well?? (engine lid letters are gold)

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
If I had the garage space at home, I'd be all over that car, at least at the current bidding levels.

I'd suspect maybe rear end repair, what with the later rear bumper and incorrect 914 emblem.
The battery area does look a little grungy, and the engine compartment needs a general freshening as well, but altogether, it appears to be a nice "survivor".

Paul
beech4rd
It would be kinda neat if somebody could afford to buy it and keep it in exactly the condition it is in now, as a reference for anybody trying to restore this year/model and as a standard for the judging of unrestored survivors. The more touching up of paint blemishes, battery tray rust etc., that gets done, the less of a survivor it becomes. Not that I'm suggesting that decay shouldn't be addressed- I do, however, suspect most of us would be happy to have a battery tray with paint on the lip 36 years into a car's life.
Chris
Chris Pincetich
What's up with the long pad in the rear trunk, and those square mats in the trunks?
Those are new to me. Killer 914 beerchug.gif
It'll go to $18k I'm guessin.
ruddyboys
Didn't 71's come with steel wheels with hub caps, those look like 74 mahle's
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Oct 4 2007, 10:47 AM) *

Didn't 71's come with steel wheels with hub caps, those look like 74 mahle's

Those are Pedrinis (and look just about perfect). They were optional on a '71.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 4 2007, 10:45 AM) *

What's up with the long pad in the rear trunk, and those square mats in the trunks?

That long pad is original to the car, typical of early 914s. The red, square mat in the front looks like something from the Sears Auto Center, circa 1971.

Paul
sww914
Turning that into another V-8 conversion would be great! It would be a better car with a V-8, right?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 4 2007, 11:01 AM) *

Turning that into another V-8 conversion would be great! It would be a better car with a V-8, right?

I'd rather use it as a "parts" car. happy11.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 4 2007, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 4 2007, 09:09 AM) *

idea.gif Gustl

later style...

I would expect it to have a gold 914 emblem as well?? (engine lid letters are gold)

Ferg

AFAIK only MY'70 had the sharp edge early style chrome bumper confused24.gif

the 914 emblem should be gold

bye1.gif Gustl
JeffBowlsby
More great stuff on this car:

Its the first time I have seen an emissions label on a 914, before the 1973 model year.

The green paint on the wheel lugs was proof that servicing for recall BO was performed.

Did you catch that cool engine tin numbering...8)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Here save some money! We will even throw in a set of pedrini alloy wheels!

http://www.autoatlanta.com/carsales/914/Or...t07/orange.html
echocanyons
George, is this what you are calling a survivor on the east coast?

IPB Image

Ferg
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 4 2007, 01:35 PM) *

Here save some money! We will even throw in a set of pedrini alloy wheels!

http://www.autoatlanta.com/carsales/914/Or...t07/orange.html

av-943.gif Save money... that's rich George. Nobody's gonna save money on that pile sawzall-smiley.gif

PeeGreen 914
agree.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
That was a joke of course gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 10 grand (currently) car is on the money for someone who wants a historic car to preserve but certainly not drive. The corrosion and rust in the engine compartment bothers me though. Must have been in the humidity. The 71 rear bumper is correct for the smile rather than the cut around the license plate but not the black 914 badge! Still a bargain at 15 grand but not to buy and drive so that eliminates some of the fun!
rhodyguy
BOINNNNG
Ferg
Build date on this car was 12-70, I will leave it to the experts, but I still suspect a bumper change.

Ferg
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 4 2007, 03:01 PM) *

Build date on this car was 12-70, I will leave it to the experts, but I still suspect a bumper change.

Ferg

our motortrend car of the year 71 willow six 71 m 471 71 914-6 sporto 71 (thank you again Jeff) and this orange RAT 71 (but it runs well!!) have the smile rear bumper
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 4 2007, 12:57 PM) *

More great stuff on this car:

Did you catch that cool engine tin numbering...8)

Jeff,
FYI. that engine tin # is the same # as what is on my engine tin('70/4 (build date 01/70).

Paul
beech4rd
A couple of questions. When did the kind folks at VW decide to install the firewall sound insulation? This car doesn't have it and is probably all the better for that. Also, what is the bellows at the hinge on the handbrake lever? Did they all have that? I have an original late '71 radio- Blaupunkt and stereo. When did the Porsche lettering on the radio get changed?
I noticed the sticker on the evap tank indicates 2 + 1 passengers. The car doesn't have the center cushion. Where does the + 1 passenger sit?
Chris
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Oct 4 2007, 03:57 PM) *

A couple of questions. When did the kind folks at VW decide to install the firewall sound insulation? This car doesn't have it and is probably all the better for that. Also, what is the bellows at the hinge on the handbrake lever? Did they all have that? I have an original late '71 radio- Blaupunkt and stereo. When did the Porsche lettering on the radio get changed?
I noticed the sticker on the evap tank indicates 2 + 1 passengers. The car doesn't have the center cushion. Where does the + 1 passenger sit?
Chris

insulator pad 73-76 bellows on handbrake 70-72 with breakaway handle many different radios most dealer installed center cushion an option
jaminM3
I can't tell a difference between the chrome bumpers on a '73 and a '70. They look the same. What is the smile bumper doctor?

confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 4 2007, 10:53 AM) *

Nice car!

Ferg

Ummm, that rain tray is the later one - though it does look perfect. It's a better piece than the early one, but not original.

I doubt that anyone needs to ask how I know!

Pat

Oops! Guess I walked into that one! I get it!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Oct 4 2007, 04:20 PM) *

I can't tell a difference between the chrome bumpers on a '73 and a '70. They look the same. What is the smile bumper doctor?

confused24.gif

The 70 bumper indentation on either side of the license plate angles sharp and straight the 71-74 curves around the plate at the bottom.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Oct 4 2007, 03:20 PM) *

confused24.gif

jamin,
Go to the "Originality & History" Forum and look at the nailed Front and Rear Bumper Thread. Post #17 by Tom Bliznik shows two excellent photos of the difference.

Paul
dr914@autoatlanta.com

Pat I am SHOCKED, Shocked that you called that early tray on this car a late tray! YOU of all people should know!!! Maybe I should take some pictures of the perfect one on the the 1971 bucket we have on our website, and see if you want to buy it! I can promise you that it is blemish free and I would throw in the orange '71 bucket with the purchase!

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 4 2007, 04:21 PM) *

Nice car!

Ferg

Ummm, that rain tray is the later one - though it does look perfect. It's a better piece than the early one, but not original.

Pat

beech4rd
George,
I realise that this is probably the wrong forum for this, but I have two 914s ( both 1.7s) and both the car I am attempting to restore and the parts car have firewall sound insulation pads. Both were 1972 models, built in Nov 1971. I doubt either had the pad added after their original sale.
Oh, and both had rusted firewalls. I wonder why.
Chris
Pat Garvey
Don't get me wrong - this IS a very nice 914. But I suspect it's a victim of sedentation. Look at the corrosion in the engine compartment. It's not from battery acid & appears to be from exposure to salt air. Yeah, it can be taken care of, but the motor should come out to do it. Sheet metal ALL needs to be redone.

And then, if the motor look like that - what about the belly? We've seen no pics of that - and it kind of scares me. I wouldn't touch this car without a thorough inspection.

Last I looked, it was just above 10K. You'll hate me for this, but I think that's too much for an unknown. Someone's taking a serious chance. It IS a '71. It does have huge rubber problems. And, who knows what it looks like underneath?

Why is it that this Forum knows nothing about this car?
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 4 2007, 06:15 PM) *

Pat I am SHOCKED, Shocked that you called that early tray on this car a late tray! YOU of all people should know!!! Maybe I should take some pictures of the perfect one on the the 1971 bucket we have on our website, and see if you want to buy it! I can promise you that it is blemish free and I would throw in the orange '71 bucket with the purchase!

George,

I F'd up! Thought I saw the inverted ribs on the bottom of the tray. Every time I see one that I think can work for me I either wet my pants or get pissed. You are correct - THAT IS MY MECCA! jerkit.gif (heavy breathing).

So, you have one? It's perfect, right? I can just clean it up & bolt it one, right? Where the "F" have you been for the last 18 months? I've made a fool of myself, looking for the Holy Grail & now you just show up ith one?

You hate me, George - don't you?

Now, tell me about it (softer tones). Is it available?

Pat

ps - thanks for the catalogue

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 4 2007, 04:21 PM) *

Nice car!

Ferg

Pat

JeffBowlsby
The car has spent its whole life right here in San Francisco. It gets foggy here and that fog can carry salty marine air.

HOWEVER, this car looks like it spent virtually all of its life indoors which protected it from any serious degradation. Look how tight the sunvisors are, the perfect dashpad, the supple weatherstripping. The non-yellowed clear plastic emission sticker in the windshield-the sticker looks like it was applied yesterday. This car is a time capsule and I bet the car is in relatively superb condition compared to most. What you see is the patina resulting from a mature owner who never abused it and probably always stored it. I bet the car still smells new. It needs refreshing to be sure to make it concours ready, but it looks like one amazing 914 and we all know its only original once.
Ferg
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 4 2007, 07:41 PM) *

The car has spent its whole life right here in San Francisco. It gets foggy here and that fog can carry salty marine air.

HOWEVER, this car looks like it spent virtually all of its life indoors which protected it from any serious degradation. Look how tight the sunvisors are, the perfect dashpad, the supple weatherstripping. The non-yellowed clear plastic emission sticker in the windshield-the sticker looks like it was applied yesterday. This car is a time capsule and I bet the car is in relatively superb condition compared to most. What you see is the patina resulting from a mature owner who never abused it and probably always stored it. I bet the car still smells new. It needs refreshing to be sure to make it concours ready, but it looks like one amazing 914 and we all know its only original once.

agree.gif

Pat's just nervous because this is the type of car that has the correct patina for Preservation Class laugh.gif stirthepot.gif

Ferg shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Oct 4 2007, 05:46 PM) *

George,
I realise that this is probably the wrong forum for this, but I have two 914s ( both 1.7s) and both the car I am attempting to restore and the parts car have firewall sound insulation pads. Both were 1972 models, built in Nov 1971. I doubt either had the pad added after their original sale.
Oh, and both had rusted firewalls. I wonder why.
Chris

And we have a 1970 914-6 here with an engine insulator pad. Make sure that we are not confusing the liner inside the cockpit behind the backpad! This is the firewall in the engine compartment insulator pad installed on all 73-76 914s for sound deadening. Many many added the pad to the early cars later on when the pads became available in the 73 MODEL year.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 4 2007, 06:21 PM) *

Don't get me wrong - this IS a very nice 914. But I suspect it's a victim of sedentation. Look at the corrosion in the engine compartment. It's not from battery acid & appears to be from exposure to salt air. Yeah, it can be taken care of, but the motor should come out to do it. Sheet metal ALL needs to be redone.

And then, if the motor look like that - what about the belly? We've seen no pics of that - and it kind of scares me. I wouldn't touch this car without a thorough inspection.

Last I looked, it was just above 10K. You'll hate me for this, but I think that's too much for an unknown. Someone's taking a serious chance. It IS a '71. It does have huge rubber problems. And, who knows what it looks like underneath?

Pat

right on I totally agree. I also know that the corrosion will be a big expense to return this car to museum quality
kojo2001
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 5 2007, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 4 2007, 06:21 PM) *

Pat

right on I totally agree. I also know that the corrosion will be a big expense to return this car to museum quality

nice
purple
My dad had a 71 when I was in the womb and I spent the first few months of my life riding in a child seat in the middle between the seats. There was a strap they included that held in the middle person according to him. My life started in a 914 just like this!

It brought a tear to his eye to see this car. He was really floored to see such a pristine survivor. he said it looked 2 years old at most
orthobiz
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 4 2007, 02:45 PM) *

I guess 15,750. C'mon, more guesses...And 'fess up, anybody here bidding?

Paul
jaminM3
I think it will sell between $17,000 and $18,000. Last I saw it it's at $16,100....
orthobiz
OK, looks like I'm wrong now that it's over 16K, but I have seen bid retractions before.

Anyway, bidding ends in just over a day. Looks like it ends 11PM Pacific time. I usually try to end mine around 9 or 10 EST. Doesn't a late ending take away the thunder of that frantic last minute bidding? Or won't anybody care...I already have an orange survivor so I won't be up that late!

Paul
TedK
Hey Paul, your car is superior with fewer miles...not bad, eh?

Ted K
orthobiz
QUOTE(TedK @ Oct 9 2007, 12:02 AM) *

Hey Paul, your car is superior with fewer miles...not bad, eh?

Ted K

The day you agreed to sell me your car was one of my BEST days EVER!!!

Paul
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Oct 8 2007, 03:34 PM) *

I think it will sell between $17,000 and $18,000. Last I saw it it's at $16,100....

It's at $17k!!!!!!!! w00t.gif
Did you know the recent issue of Excellence estimated $15k for the best TIV 914?
This sale deserves a submission to Excellence for the Reader Buys section...or whatever it was called. Couple 928 GTSs sold for >$65k accordning to the mag.

I still say $18k biggrin.gif
Less than 7 hours to go!
beerchug.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 4 2007, 11:45 AM) *

Those are new to me. Killer 914 beerchug.gif

4 hours left at $17000... good prediction.. need a gambling buddy in Vegas???
jonferns
so..what did it finally sell for? anyone here? biggrin.gif -JON
beech4rd
It sold for $17,100.00. I hope he gets the money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.