Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wobbly Pedrinis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SPNR
OK, so I find a fairly decent set of Pedrinis and get them from a used Porsche Performance place in Redwood City CA and I didn't really have to pay a lot, but when I finally get them cleaned up and get them on the car it shakes like a wet dog. Come to find out three of the four rims are bent (nice , thanks guys!!) Can they be staightened? Who does this kind of work? Is it "spensiv"?Thx, MM (please no 20/20 hindsight thanks, I'm kickin' myself hard enough already). sad.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SPNR @ Dec 27 2003, 07:54 AM)
...when I finally get them cleaned up and get them on the car it shakes like a wet dog. Come to find out three of the four rims are bent...

first, make sure that you have the right year wheels on the right year car.
i don't recall the details but there was a hub difference around '73 and not all wheels are interchangeable with all hubs.

do a search here on "hubcentric" and you'll find some threads that discuss the issue.

almost all wheels, even cast aluminum wheels like the Pedrini, can be straightened - at a cost. might not make much sense to spend $100 straightening a $50 wheel, so get your estimates in hand before going in. don't forget shipping ...
seanery
I would take them back. Demand a refund. period.
You'll spend more to straighten them than they are worth IMHO.
rhodyguy
have you placed all of the bad(?) wheels on a flat hard surface? both sides of each wheel. call the co. on monday, they may make it right. this wasn't an "as is" ebay deal is it?

kevin
garyh
QUOTE(SPNR @ Dec 27 2003, 07:54 AM)
OK, so I find a fairly decent set of Pedrinis and get them from a used Porsche Performance place in Redwood City CA

Bunch of things:

Are they the right wheel? You need a "-00" for 72 and earlier, and "-01" for 73 and up.

Are they balanced properly? A -real- spin balance?

Are they torqued down properly? These wheels like being installed with a torque wrench.

Yes, they can be fixed. The shop around here charges $100/wheel to straighten (to 0.001") and remove all the curb rash. This shop is concidered expensive, but they do darn good work.

If you bought them from the right place in Redwood City, one of two things happened: (IMnsHO)

They aren't balanced/mounted properly.

They were damaged in shipping.

A quick phone call would straighten that out.

Gary.
brant
or you could just buy my early pedrini's which are very straight...

brant
Brad Roberts
I promise he wasnt sold bent wheels. They have a balance machine and EVERY wheel gets checked BEFORE they go on the shelf for resale (over 700 wheels currently in the wharehouse.)

We are standing a 99% chance he bought them from HPH.

Who installed the tires ?

B
Sparky
I've heard good things about the guys at Rim and Wheel Works in the Boston area.

Mike D.
DuckRyder
If they are bent, and if you do wnat them straightened -

Ye Olde Wheel Shop in PA has a great reputation. I've never had any done but know of at least 3 people who have and they look better than new.
SPNR
I am trying NOT to name anyone, I probably could have left out the city huh? The wrong rim part number should not effect the rear wheels, there is no center hub to fit over !? Three of the four are bent but not at the rim as with curb damage, they are bent at the center hub. There was obviously something wrong with them when I had the tires put on ie no spin balance. I think I might have found a shop that will staighten them anyway. It's OK because I have a spare set of Minilites , I just have to swap out the race tires.Thanks for the input and you guys are a tuff crowd!!
Brad Roberts
Not really a tough crowd. Just want to see you fairly compensated if there was a problem with the wheels prior to shipping.

I know Rich very well and would be HIGHLY surprised if he doesnt work something out with you.

I cant count how many times I have seen wheels bent when put on a old school style machine that locks down the center for tire mounting.

Call Rich tomorrow.

B
tracks914
I recently bought a set of Mahles from a 74 for my 72. I never even thought to check to see if they fit.
What can I expect?
Turn the hubs for the front?
Install collars inserts?
Rusty
I recently bought a set of Mahles from a 74 for my 72. I never even thought to check to see if they fit.
What can I expect?
Turn the hubs for the front?
Install collars inserts?

Rich is absolutely right. I had the same problem with the set of Pedrinis that I had on my old 76. The fronts just won't tighten down correctly, because the wheels aren't milled for the late hubs. All late wheels fit early cars, but not all early wheels fit late cars.

Mahles are late wheels. Unless there is damage, they should fit just fine.

-Rusty cool.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 28 2003, 08:41 PM)
Mahles are late wheels. Unless there is damage, they should fit just fine.

COOL, one less winter project to do. MDB2.gif
Tx
Doug
Brad Roberts
New information flowing in.

He didnt buy them from a shop. He bought them from a individual who "happens" to be named Rich and actually lives in Belmont but worked in Redwood city.

B
mikester
I've got a set of Mahles that each has a bit of out of round on them.

I got them for $125....I would like to have them straightened for a reasonable price question is...what's reasonable?

I'm in the Otto's area...

Anyone?

Don't say wheel enhancements. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.