Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey wait, is that a sway bar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I'm no expert w00t.gif but isn't that a sway bar? I'm sure I'll get the terminology wrong but: after I noticed it, I looked up behind the wheel and saw the drop link (?) connecting it to the axle.

Mine's a '74, as far as I know they weren't an option for the '74 models. But it looks like it came from the factory that way. I'm confused (but hey, happy, if I'm right about it being what I think it is).

Thoughts? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
blitZ
That's a sway bar all right. Looks a bit thick to be stock. Could have been added by a previous owner.
SLITS
A fully optioned '74 will have them.

Look on one of the ends and it will be stamped with a two digit number indicating the diameter.

Terminology = sway bar = anti-roll bar ... as if anyone really gives a krap.
Lavanaut
Hey cool, thanks. My fuel tank's back in now, so it's going to be tough to check the diameter unless it's truly stamped at the end, up under the fender?

Thanks too for the terminology check, post's title fixed accordingly. smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
If you remove a front wheel you can measure the diameter of the bar with calipers before the arm. It may be adjustable! There is an "arm" that should be about parallel to the ground, then the drop links. If the drop links can slide on the arm (Weltmeister like mine) or have several holes for them to be re-positioned, it is adjustable. The closer the drop links are to the bar, the stiffer your AR bar is, less roll in front and more looseness in back (potential fish tailing at during cornering). Front AR bars rule! beerchug.gif
rjames
Depending on how hard you drive it you may want to add backing plates for the bolts in the tank area that are welded on so that you don't rip through the sheet metal.

(Bad explanation, but here's a pic of one of the backing plates right before I welded it in)

Click to view attachment
davep
All of the LE cars had them, that makes a lot of 74 cars with them.
Original equipment? Check the rear trunk floor for two little reinforcement pieces. If they look original, then it is very likely a factory installation. See third photo in the first post for an idea of what it looks like:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76624
Aaron Cox
lots of sway bar equipped cars out there....
rjames
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 4 2007, 04:26 PM) *

lots of sway bar equipped cars out there....

These are such different cars with them installed. I couldn't believe the difference after putting one in.

In my opinion they should all have come the factory with the front one installed. smile.gif
914Sixer
Clean up each end of the bar. One end will have a 15(mm) stamped on it IF it is a factory bar. Some aftermarkets have the size stamped there also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.