Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video of Jakes 2270?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ga Dan
Does anyone have a Video of their 914 after they built it with a Jake 2270 kit. I would like to see it run and hear how it sounds.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Ga Dan @ Oct 4 2007, 07:33 PM) *

Does anyone have a Video of their 914 after they built it with a Jake 2270 kit. I would like to see it run and hear how it sounds.

See my blog. You can watch the cam run in which is about a 20 minute process after first fire...
Rand
I wouldn't mine seeing that. Where is it? This blog?
Rand
Aha! Never mind, I found it. May 4th entry. Cool. smile.gif
The people who say you shouldn't run a motor without an exhaust system will love this. tongue.gif
Jake Raby
Sound......... I just don't get that.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 5 2007, 08:48 AM) *

Sound......... I just don't get that.

Jake,
If I can be professorial for a moment, people connect with experiences differently. Some like to read about it, others have to see, still others have to see and hear and touch. I have to read and study a subject before I connect with it. Dan is just a visual aural learner. I think he wants to be one of your kit customers. We have had a couple off forum PMs about it.
eric914
You mean when you fire up a new motor on the dyno and hear the combo for the first time the SOUND of it running through its RPM band doesn’t do anything for you? You’ve never goosed an accelerator pedal at idle to hear the motor rev? I would imagine for most of us sound plays a part in the total experience. A large type 4 tuned to perfection running a muffler that eliminates most of the sound just doesn’t sound like much fun.
DNHunt
Jake was able to tell a change in my engine from sound and smell. Going to a larger exhaust caused a lower note and it riched it at higher rpms which he could tell from smell. He said it wuldn't make as much power and he was right. I could hear the change but I couldn't smell it. I heard him say "Anybody tuning an aircooled engine has to be able to smell whether it is lean or rich".

The sound my engine made was just plain angry. It definately had a raspy quality to it.

Dave
Jake Raby
So many people use an engines sound to make their decisions on exhaust system and etc, setting aside all the other much more important aspects that surround their choice- that's what I don't understand.

I receive calls on a daily basis with the same question "How does it sound" and many of those people are going to make their decision and spend several thousands of dollars to get just a sound. I would compare this decision to choosing a wife based on how well she moans and not anything else....

Sure I get a chill when I hear one of my engines accelerate, the day that I don't get a chill up the spine when one fired up for the first time it'll be time to close the doors to the shop. Yes I can generally tell how well an engine is tuned by a smell or a sound, but that's only because I work with nothing but the T4 day in and day out.

Not even the sound of a 4 Cam Carrera engine amused me when driving a 59 Carrera GT, I suppose I'm weirdn but we all knew that already. (Perhaps all the years working on jet and piston engines have killed my sense of hearing a bit)
So.Cal.914

I would compare this decision to choosing a wife based on how well she moans and not anything else....

Whats wrong with that? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Hmm, always found it hard to tune A/F ratio when running Wide open down the air strip. But my wide band meter does it quite nicely. And I don't get so tired running after the car at 120 MPH.................
Ga Dan
Thank You ConeDodger, you are right, I would like to be a customer of Jakes in the future, however I do not want to bug Jake with all the questions I have from day to day until I am closer to having the right amount of money and ready to commit. I am sure Jake has so many people on here I would call tire kickers, that he gets tired of it. So I am on here bugging everyone else and doing whatever research I can and reading so many different threads my eyes are getting blurry just to educate myself. Then when I am closer to commit, I can be more serious about a purchase.

I asked the question about the video hoping I could find a couple of people out here that has purchased one of Jakes 2270 kits and could show it in the vehicle and we could see and hear its performance once it was all put together. I think that would be advertising to the fullest which I bet many on here would love to see. Yes I am interested in how the engine sounds, but that is not what will make me buy a kit. I have read a lot on here and my decision on building my 914 would be base on the most I can get for my hard earned money without cheating myself on quality and reliability.

So far I have learned that Jake is very well respected for his work in this community, and that’s a huge factor in buying a kit from Jake. Also I like the fact that I could build a powerful 914 and drive it daily and be reliable, I haven’t heard anyone else say that about the V8 or subie conversions. I have read so many things on here that stem back a few years, but I haven’t seen any videos of the completed work in action, so I guess I was hoping I could spark a few videos of some famous work in its completed form that I know many would enjoy and get excited when viewed.

If I offended anyone by asking to see and hear Jakes work I do apologize. I am not here to question anyone’s work or technical expertise, I am here to educate myself and learn as much as I can as I save to have my own very nice Porsche I can play with long after retirement.
ConeDodger
Dan,
I don't think anyone was really offended. Jake doesn't get it There are so many other ways to evaluate an engine that he considers better.
I can tell you that once you ride in a car equipped with a 2270 you will know why he doesn't get your wanting to "hear' it. Sure, it sounds angry. But there is no mistaking the increase in torque and HP. It even runs cooler.
Perhaps you know about Jakes own forum??? He can answer your questions and you can talk with a greater concentration of 2270 kit and engine customers there.
aircooled technology forum would be your search...
jimtab
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 5 2007, 12:07 PM) *

I would compare this decision to choosing a wife based on how well she moans and not anything else....

Whats wrong with that? confused24.gif

Yeah Jake, I wanted a sweater for my birthday....but all I got was a moaner...it worked out ok.... biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Ga Dan
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 5 2007, 11:18 PM) *

Dan,
I don't think anyone was really offended. Jake doesn't get it There are so many other ways to evaluate an engine that he considers better.
I can tell you that once you ride in a car equipped with a 2270 you will know why he doesn't get your wanting to "hear' it. Sure, it sounds angry. But there is no mistaking the increase in torque and HP. It even runs cooler.
Perhaps you know about Jakes own forum??? He can answer your questions and you can talk with a greater concentration of 2270 kit and engine customers there.
aircooled technology forum would be your search...

Well I hope I didnt offend someone I may be a customer too, that would be suicide hanged.gif Now if I had a chance to actually see a car that had a 2270 engine, and ride in one, well I would like to expierence that for sure. Know anyone in middle Ga that would like to show theirs off? Or maybe not too far away for me to take a drive?

I will have to check out Jakes forum and do some reading there. I even tried to get on that 4th dimension radio, but for some reason I couldnt get it to work. ooh well. idea.gif

Any other advice from anybody is more then welcome to this noobie
Jake Raby
What I always push guys to remember is the big picture related to an engine choice for their car- no matter if that's a 914,356,beetle or any of the other cars that we work with and love.

True, sound is part of a choice, but that sound don't make the car faster, run cooler, getter better MPG or last longer- so to me its not even something that should impact a choice.

Guess who buys performance parts based on sound??? That's right, the guys we love to hate that drive those piece of shit, radiator laden, fart can equipped rice rockets.

You guys are much smarter than that!

I have always based my offerings on effectiveness, looks and sounds mean absolutely nothing to me. If they did I'd spend less time on the dyno and more time designing shiny pieces of crap that look good in pictures.

That would damn sure be easier and cheaper!
McMark
Ooooh, can I order a T4 Engine Chrome Kit™? drooley.gif

av-943.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 5 2007, 10:37 AM) *

LOL It was the T&A that got you interested in hearing the moan .. that Just seals the deal beerchug.gif

I have tons of engine sound bites eating up my disk space ... and truth be told hearing my engine @ redline is a coin flip over the mrs moan but I guess I have been hearing that for 14 years LOL

I also completely agree that a lot of people make decisions on exhaust systems for reasons other than performance... However, most great performing exhaust systems sound pretty good on the right engine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.