Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cutting floor pan tar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Here is what our man cut for a car. It fits PERFECTLY! Just thought I would show every one what the pattern should look like.
rjames
Looks great, smilie_pokal.gif but I have to admit I'd never want that stuff back in my car.

CWs should love it though!

BTW, did the catalog ever ship? Still waiting for mine...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 5 2007, 02:54 PM) *

Looks great, smilie_pokal.gif but I have to admit I'd never want that stuff back in my car.

CWs should love it though!

BTW, did the catalog ever ship? Still waiting for mine...

we are editing will be mass mailed nov 8th just in time for christmas presents from your aunts and uncles.!!!!
smg914
Nice product George. I've removed the original tar from many a 914 looking for and of course finding rust. These cut to fit pieces sure will be a nice finishing touch. Do you recommend that they are painted the color of the car once they are installed?
Rand
Wow. Nice for those who would want that. Tar in your car. Har har. I am firmly in the camp who would NEVER put that CRAP back in my car!!!

No dis on the product, if a CW wants it. I mean, who could ask for a more perfect way to do everything new that was done wrong in the first place? A nicely implemented solution. Form and fit would be everything, so "perfect fit" is gold. Nice job.

And it's job security. You could sell this to repeat customers every 20 years or so. Along with some new floorpans! smilie_pokal.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry, getting carried away. It really looks well-done.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 5 2007, 03:12 PM) *

Nice product George. I've removed the original tar from many a 914 looking for and of course finding rust. These cut to fit pieces sure will be a nice finishing touch. Do you recommend that they are painted the color of the car once they are installed?

Hi Steve. We end up spray painting it for a perfect factory match job. Looks good in the concours. I think you should show every one underneath your drivers carpet on the beige car.
smg914
Quote by George: I think you should show every one underneath your drivers carpet on the beige car.

Maybe on the concours forum but certainly not here. I couldn't take the rejection.
Rand
Steve, I would love to see detailed pics of your car. And I know many others would too. Just because we joke around, doesn't mean we would reject your car!! Quite the contrary.

I wouldn't put tar in mine, but that's just a taste thing based on what my car is about.

Believe me, your car would get way more honor here than mine would in the concours forum!!! laugh.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 5 2007, 06:03 PM) *

Quote by George: I think you should show every one underneath your drivers carpet on the beige car.

Maybe on the concours forum but certainly not here. I couldn't take the rejection.

Well......

The CW forum awaits!
Pat
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 5 2007, 05:03 PM) *

I couldn't take the rejection.

I reject your assumption of rejection beerchug.gif
Clean lookin 914s are just as welcome in the Garage as that "other" forum biggrin.gif

That is a great photo of the "tar". Now that I am rustoring my 914 into something a little more modern I would choose something besides tar....just curious if that guy made closed cell foam cut-outs how well that would insulate the sound of my rumbling TIV on a bumpy road. confused24.gif
lotus_65
how much noisier is the car after removal?
mine started coming apart and i almost pulled it but changed my mind.
rjames
how much noisier is the car after removal?

I'm sure there is a difference, but I couldn't tell. Of course it was 5 months between driving the car with, and again without the tar.
I'll probably get flamed for doing this, but I put a layer of carpeting down (left over from when I redid the carpeting in the bedroom) underneath my 914 carpet. You can't tell it's in the car, and it probably helps do dampen the road noise a bit. It also feels a little more plush with 2 layers of carpeting, and keeps the 914 carpet from sliding around.

Flame-on.
Rand
I noticed a little bit of difference in noise level, but I would way rather compensate for that with some other kind of removable material that can be easily pulled out for cleanup once in a while. Permanently sticking 20lbs of tar to your floor is not the best way of reducing noise levels. Especially considering it is a horrible rust magnet.

This is a great product for those who have concours cars that will be examined by a show judge to see if the stuff under the carpet looks like something the factory did 30 years ago. Very nicely done. Clearly it was cut with much care and concern for fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.