Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail light lense surround?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
magaoidh
The black plastic/rubber? surround on the tail light lense is a separate part or part of the tail light housing?Can any one tell me or advise where they may be available?I thought it was the seal so I bought some seals from A.A,(needed them anyway!)The surround material is brittle and was glued to the lense,made it difficult to remove the lense to replace a globe!!!
Thanks Geoff.
purple
as far as i've looked, those arent available. You may have to get new buckets with better seals. A way around those seals is replacing the rubber on the taillight lense itself. As far as I know, you just get some black silicone and run a bead around the bucket where it presses against the car body and then fasten it to the car to seal it.

Maybe George from AA would know better than me, because I've scoured his site looking for better taillight bucket rubbers myself.
914Mike
QUOTE(purple @ Oct 6 2007, 07:48 AM) *

as far as i've looked, those arent available. You may have to get new buckets with better seals. A way around those seals is replacing the rubber on the taillight lense itself. As far as I know, you just get some black silicone and run a bead around the bucket where it presses against the car body and then fasten it to the car to seal it...

If you use sealer of any kind you should either grease one side of the joint so it will come apart later or put a layer of plastic wrap in between while it cures. Either way, the trick is to put a nice thick bead in there, but don't squeeze it tight till it's cured. After the silicone has cured, you can remove the lens and take out the plastic wrap, THEN tighten it down. I used Vaseline and silicone sealer on my '74, with butyl sealer on the body joint. (Didn't want to use silicone on the body steel, it will rust...) No leaks after 8 years! And yes it lives outside and gets driven in the rain... driving.gif
magaoidh
Would there be a part number for the "surround" or would the bucket part no. be it?
MoveQik
I got new seals AAbout two years AAgo for my tAAil lights. I still get wAAter in my trunk....go figger. PM me and I'll tell where I bought them.
magaoidh
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 6 2007, 11:46 PM) *

I got new seals AAbout two years AAgo for my tAAil lights. I still get wAAter in my trunk....go figger. PM me and I'll tell where I bought them.

Do you mean waater still gets in the baack paanel?So, you know where to get the blaack bits too?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.