Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: other porsche seats fit....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
since teener seats seem rather difficult to come by out east here, i was wondering if there are any other porsche seats that would bolt in fairly easily. i figure the biggest concern would be seat height as stock seats ride pretty low. just thinking of maybe making a change.......

like these on ebay

thanks
redshift
Yeah, they fit with the roof off.

The non-reclining Recaro buckets fit, they cost about 3k a seat, before restoration..

You can buy a set of nice 914 seats for less than $100 per seat.. most times.

M
Eric_Shea
Miles... you talking about my seats again? smile.gif
boxsterfan
Are there any other manufacturer seats out there that fit? I really liked the seats in a 328i from 1997. I measured them once, but they were just too big (too tall in the seat area). Always wondered if Porsche or BMW or maybe VW had a seat in a 1980's-1990's car that would look good in a teener (and be a little more confortable for a street car.
Eric_Shea
The non-reclining Recaro buckets fit, they cost about 3k a seat, before restoration..

Just ta tease ya a little...
redshift
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 27 2003, 04:24 PM)
Miles... you talking about my seats again?  :)

STOP THAT! I mean it!

smile.gif

DON'T POST A PICTURE ERIC! WE DON'T WANT TO SEE!

M
Eric_Shea
Ooooops... forgot the picture. The copper is to form the bolster line for my 914 seats that "Stitch" is "SUPPOSEDLY" building for me
redshift
I don't see anything.

m
Eric_Shea
Here's a cleaner shot for ya M.

(sorry... couldn't resist)
Eric_Shea
Copper goes on these and then the bolster gets glassed into the seat. I think these will fit unsure.gif
redshift
Strange, there are place holders with x's in them for two of the pictures, and then those crappy seat frames..

I don't get it.. maybe I can't see because I refuse to see.

The 4th ID is going to find you Eric. laugh.gif

M
d914
corbeau classic II's fit nice , but now I would have the 14seats redone like stitch is going to do. The corbeau's are cheap though..
Eric_Shea
maybe I can't see because I refuse to see

It will come to you only when you are ready to receive it young Weedhopper w00t.gif
redshift
Hey man, unfair.. I already have the forearm branding of the casting marks from a hot engine.

I shall bend like a reed in the wind, and avoid this thread! Too late...

I'll beat you in effigy, with this emotichair..

chair.gif

M
Eric_Shea
OK, OK... I've got tears in my eyes with the emotichair beating thingy... LOL

So... a final blow to you my little Ninja friend... $250 for the PAIR! Ha!

We gotta stop stealing this poor guys thread. Tell ya what, I'll go take a bunch of detailed pics and e-mail them directly to ya! lol3.gif

E-vil
redshift
Ok Eric, I unblocked your email..

try: hendrix@gregwilliams.com

smile.gif

I cannot help myself, the fire is so beautiful... I must touch it..

M
r_towle
It seems to me that the following would fit our cars.

BMW Z3 coupe or roadster seats
Miata seats
Jetta seats
S2000 seats...
Lotus seats
Toyota Mr2 seats

Seems that they are all small roadsters...
Someone in the sterio thread had some custom seats that look might comfortable.....

Rich
914werke
Ok guys Im not following this. Eric, From where do those seat come..originally, and why the 3K figure?
Those look sweet.
redshift
Those are RS sports, they are very similar to the GT seats available for the M471 optioned 914s, but they are even more rare, because that set has the ST profile.

Eric saved almost $7000!!!

M
seanery
I think that C4 Corvette seats will fit and work very well. Finding them at the right price, however, may be a problem.
Eric_Shea
From where do those seat come..originally

Porscheee. You had to click them off as an option. The "Festus" that took them out of his car bough new Recaros because he was tired of getting in and out of them. The "Festus Shop" that took them out had them sitting around for a couple of months and sold them to me for $250 for the pair. You can see them in ST's and original 911 R's from the period. Porsche kept them around for a while and used them at will in various 911 factory race cars.

why the 3K figure?

Beats me...? Unobtainium status for real ones... www.vintageseats.com makes them now. I'd never pay that for them but I sure do love them! Some day I'll let Miles sit in them (shower, clean pants etc...)

Someone in the sterio thread had some custom seats that look might comfortable

"Stitch" has some Vette seats in his teener... (attached)
seanery
those are Pre-94 Corvette C4 seats (84-93). The 94 and later had a vinyl back instead of the plastic back of the earlier seats.
r_towle
Cool vette seats.
Do those fit all the way back (I am 6'2")
Can you still shift etc...

Rich
redshift
ohmy.gif

Eric! I have brand new pants, and I am fresh out of the shower, used soap too.. ok, I lied about the shower... but I did use soap!

Imagine that I had seen a set of those seats in a garage once around 20 years ago, and then nothing but pictures, and only seeing those pictures in the last year, or so..

I've lusted for those seats, many hours, many... I care more about those seats than guitars.. it's all the same sickness... damnBA!

I'm sick!

M
philinjax
These Corbeau seats look pretty cool to me. Click on the dimmensions drawing and you can
see that they should fit the 914 well.

Phil

http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/classic.shtml
boxsterfan
Anyone have the Corbeau "sport seat" in their teener?

Corbeau Sport Seat

This one looks great w/adjustable headrest.
redshift
Note that no matter how much of a munchkin you may, or may not be, the steering whell almost rides on your thighs with stock seats in the #2 recline of higher.

http://www.bielstein.com/BF-Sitze/NURBURGR...urburgring.html

blink.gif

http://www.vintageseats.com

blink.gif

The RS seats are works of art, and works of cost.

M
redshift
Eric, I have a question, a 20 year old question:

What is the factory method of restraint? There are no belt holes, obviously.

Do you think the RS seats from Vintage Seats would work in a teener? I don't care about fitting the pad, a new pad would go with that rig.

I GOT IT!

Please, if you get a little time... could you just sit one of your seats in a teener, and snap a pic?

smile.gif

Miles
echocanyons
To the makers knowledge he hasnt had his seats installed in a teener as of about a month ago.

I would love to try them but cost is the major barrier
Eric_Shea
What is the factory method of restraint? There are no belt holes, obviously.

With the standard Recaros that came in the 70's 911's there is a tab that mounts with the two rear bolts that mount the seat to the track. This tab comes up and a standard receptical mounts to it.

For a harness the seat has two slits cut out in the bottom. They are directly below either side of the bottom cushion. The harness would come up the sides of the lower cushion and then mate to a shoulder set. No additional slit was in the seat for a 5-point system. Not sure when that became more of a standard.

Please, if you get a little time... could you just sit one of your seats in a teener, and snap a pic?

Ahhhh... they be bolted in there but, if they have to come out I'll drop them in the teener next door (garage sisters) and snap a couple for ya.

Stay tuned for a replica of this seat to be made off those 914 frames pictured earlier in the post. "Stitch" just left. He was over bending the copper guides (seen earlier in this post) to match for the 914 bolsters. I anticipate them looking identical with the exception of the head rests... those could be added as well. I have a few pictures but I want to wait and throw a thread together with the complete process. Maybe you can get the next set from Stitch for your ride? smile.gif
redshift
He already has a PM.

smile.gif

M
Eric_Shea
Do you think the RS seats from Vintage Seats would work in a teener? I don't care about fitting the pad, a new pad would go with that rig.

I think they would... Sans the pad. I'm going felt on my entire interior. If you're thinking of going that route I'd talk to the manufacturer and send them a set of 914 seat rails. There is a piece of metal that they actually fiberglass into the base. They could position this in the manufacturing process so the seat bottom would bolt right on to a standard 914 seat rail. The principle for mounting the rails on both seats (914 stock and the Recaro ST) are identical.

Shameless plug for Dale Hancock Upholstery (aka: Stitch), He restored those seats to like new condition. They had been recovered once in their lifetime and they used basketweave on the centers. We researched a couple of books for photos of original ST's to get the proper corduroy, stitching pattern and vinyl. Auto's International had the material...
redshift
I was under the impression they were mint-unrestored!

smilie_pokal.gif WTFG Stitch!

Oh my, that is a talent.

M
d914
this bolts wright in and comfy
redshift
huh.gif

I'll bet...

M
d914
chair.gif ok,ok I'll try again....
d914
one more time, and uses 914 hardware
redshift
I like the sculpted bolstering in the other seats, a place to wedge my ass.

I have to wuss out on tight lead-ins to sweepers, because of the lateral support, or rather the lack of such. I end up sitting on the middle cushion, or the door sil.

M
d914
as a aggressive street seat not bad, but for a part tim track seat with four points I'd rather have a pass though hole on the sides to keep the lap belts down. I have these in my new street car, actually my old seats in a new car got them back with the car.

Future tense I would adapt the stock seats with that st look. Cost would be minimal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.