Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche badge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
championgt1
Did the 914 ever come from the factory with the badge on the front of the hood? My friend and I are having a slight disagreement on this. He says his 73 1.7 is stock and it has it. My 74 2.0 I believe is still stock and it does not have one Any info helps. Thanks.
smontanaro
I thought the 914 never had them from the factory. Lots of people put them on. Maybe some dealers did as well.

Skip
davep
I've never seen a 914 production car that came from the factory with one.
Not in the 914 parts catalog either.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Oct 6 2007, 12:48 PM) *

Did the 914 ever come from the factory with the badge on the front of the hood? My friend and I are having a slight disagreement on this. He says his 73 1.7 is stock and it has it. My 74 2.0 I believe is still stock and it does not have one Any info helps. Thanks.

I cannot speak to 916's, but all other US 914's came with no "Porsche" badging except in the engine lid. No crests. Sorta like the Ferrari Dino - no Ferrari markings. Too bad our bastard children have not vaulted to that level of resale - YET!

By they way - you're friend is wrong!
Pat
Eric_Shea
Agreed. The answer is no.

There is one photo that I know of that would indicate that one (1) car may have left the factory with a badge. The shot seems to be a factory promo shot of a late model (75-76) flared 914-6 sitting next to a 930 of the same era. (yes, I did say late, 75-76 flared 914-6) ohmy.gif

Check with Wolfy (gustl) for the photo. It was posted here recently.

There was one other photo of a prototype 914 in a sound testing booth with the good Dr. standing watch. It "seems" to have a badge.

All that bla, bla, bla leads up to the fact that a Porsche crest badge was "never" an option on the standard production 914 or 914-6.

wink.gif
Middlefour
There is one photo that I know of that would indicate that one (1) car may have left the factory with a badge.

There is actually a picture in one of the very early brochures which clearly shows a car with a badge on, it's the A4 size white cover one number 030-1069-0404. On page 4 there is a yellow car with badge, however if you look at the later brochure number 010-0270-0704, (the large silver cover one) 4 months later, there is the same car, same picture but the car now has a targe fitted, number plate S-M 2333 and the badge has gone!!!

I was once told by an American that the Porsche Dealers in the States had a template so that a badge could be put on if the customer wanted one, and they would all be in the same place. I have no idea if that is true or not, certainly I have nver managed to get it confirmed. Interesting though. For me I like the badge on the front, why not!

I'm off to Stuttgart on Friday so will pop the question if I get the chance.
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 7 2007, 03:30 AM) *

... but all other US 914's came with no "Porsche" badging except in the engine lid.

the Porsche crest was stamped into the horn button at the US cars
the Euro cars had the VW crest in that place

rolleyes.gif Gustl
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 10 2007, 10:30 AM) *

rolleyes.gif Gustl

G- what about euro sixes? what did they have stammped into the steering wheel- VW or P?
jd74914
The wolfsburg emblem IIRC
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 10 2007, 03:33 PM) *
G- what about euro sixes? what did they have stammped into the steering wheel- VW or P?

I just checked out my sales brochures

they clearly show the Porsche crest at the 914-6 and the VW crest with the 914-4

bye1.gif Gustl
GWN7
I know of two cars that came from the factory with the crest. But I would have to agree that export cars never came with it.

Here's one factory car that had it.......

type47fan
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 10 2007, 06:30 AM) *

... but all other US 914's came with no "Porsche" badging except in the engine lid.

rolleyes.gif Gustl

. . . like this. . . .
Bogaat
QUOTE(type47fan @ Oct 13 2007, 12:43 AM) *

rolleyes.gif Gustl

. . . like this. . . .

Anyone seen one of these for sell? I would absolutely love one...
Gustl
they are often on eBay
jonferns

they are often on eBay

almost bought one on german ebay a month back. But shipping would have been three times what the item was going to cost me! -JON
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 30 2007, 07:21 PM) *

they are often on eBay

almost bought one on german ebay a month back. But shipping would have been three times what the item was going to cost me! -JON

Just curious, and no slam intended, but why would you want one?
Pat
Bogaat
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 30 2007, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 30 2007, 07:21 PM) *

they are often on eBay

Just curious, and no slam intended, but why would you want one?
Pat

Honestly, I am a VW guy at heart. I grew up in my 72 Super and will always own the car. My 914 will more than likely be replaced at some point, but not the bug. That wolfsburg symbol just makes me all warm and fuzzy. I have not entirely warmed to the idea of owning a Porsche yet, but love the idea of driving something VW powered biggrin.gif . I know...sacrileage rolleyes.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Oct 30 2007, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(type47fan @ Oct 13 2007, 12:43 AM) *

rolleyes.gif Gustl

. . . like this. . . .

The Cap'n has one, or maybe two, of them. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.