Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any 914s with (ahem) provenance?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
I see auction results show that the Ferrari Lusso belonging to the "King of Cool" brought over $2 million. Typically, a Lusso in comparable condition would bring $6-7-800,000. So this Ferrari brought three-to-four times its normal value because it was onced titled to Steve McQueen? I know that some intrinsically valuable and renowned Ferrari and Porsche models, usually with racing credentials, bring more money and generate more general interest than a run-of-the-mill production model. However, "celebrity" status somehow confirs additional merit to a models' value, kinda like Babe Ruth's Packard, Dean Martin's Lincoln, Sinatra's Cadillac, Goering's M-B, or Cher's Harley. With that said, anyone know of anyone "famous" who has owned a 914? I can think of only one Hollywood type who has owned a 914. Anybody in the sports world, political arena, movie industry, or music field owned one of our humble cars? Probably not many, if any at all, 'cause of the 914s rather humble presence. Not exactly a Gullwing, Miura, or Daytona for generating excitement and hysteria among the adoring masses, is it?

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 6 2007, 12:53 PM) *

I see auction results show that the Ferrari Lusso belonging to the "King of Cool" brought over $2 million. Typically, a Lusso in comparable condition would bring $6-7-800,000. So this Ferrari brought three-to-four times its normal value because it was onced titled to Steve McQueen? I know that some intrinsically valuable and renowned Ferrari and Porsche models, usually with racing credentials, bring more money and generate more general interest than a run-of-the-mill production model. However, "celebrity" status somehow confirs additional merit to a models' value, kinda like Babe Ruth's Packard, Dean Martin's Lincoln, Sinatra's Cadillac, Goering's M-B, or Cher's Harley. With that said, anyone know of anyone "famous" who has owned a 914? I can think of only one Hollywood type who has owned a 914. Anybody in the sports world, political arena, movie industry, or music field owned one of our humble cars? Probably not many, if any at all, 'cause of the 914s rather humble presence. Not exactly a Gullwing, Miura, or Daytona for generating excitement and hysteria among the adoring masses, is it?

Paul

Well, I know I once considerd buying a Pete Rose 911, until I drove it. Every corner I hit with abandon threw out miscellaneous pieces of fast food, and other unmentionables. It was a piece of trash from the outside, and worse inside. Money should not be the ultimate decision-maker on selling a Porsche to "gypsies in the palace".

To your point - no one of "stature" would have ever denegrated themselves to drivig a lowly 914 - four or six. Bad Karma!
Pat
JeffBowlsby
I guess 'stature ' is relative...

Ann B Davis
Who was that rock star guy who rolled his 914 and killed his passenger...?
JeffBowlsby
And of course...Carl Sagan...

sixerdon
Doesn't David Letterman own a "six"? Seems I heard that a year or two ago.

Don
davep
Did you forget the Mark Donohue car already?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=70803

Jerry Seinfeld has at least one.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=23086

And several other notables are mentioned.
Scott S
- Tommy Smothers
- Lief Garrett (this car was destroyed)
beech4rd
A blue 914-4, claimed to be from George Harrison's house in Hawaii, was sold on E-bay a couple of years ago. There was no title to prove that he had once owned it. But he did like good cars, even had a Maclaren.
Chris
Scott S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 9 2007, 09:59 PM) *

Who was that rock star guy who rolled his 914 and killed his passenger...?

That's the Lief car Sott mentions a few posts up.

(Hey Scott, I was over at Gretsch on Friday)

Hi Mr Shea -
Awesome! If you should ever run into Bob Rupp when you are over there, tell him hi. He is a local guy/drummer that is also our local Gretch marketing rep. Really nice guy - a bit out there sometimes - but arent we all.....

Sorry for the thread jack -

Back on topic. Lief thankfully didn't kill him - but he did lose all movement in his legs. Tragic for anyone, but even worse for this guy as he was supposably quite the dancer and choreographer.
Bill D
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 6 2007, 11:18 PM) *

Jeff,

Do you know when this picture was taken? Where is this picture from?

Thanks
JeffBowlsby
Sorry I have no more info on it.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Hope this linky works

http://nicksagan.blogs.com/nick_sagan_onli...omments/page/2/

I remember when the PBS series COSMOS first aired on TV. I thought the TV production, the book and Mr Sagan were really awesome. Didn't know at the time he had a 914. I also understand he had a 911, but I'll forgive him that biggrin.gif

Paul
familienauto
Here's the 911, for what it's worth.

http://al-paslow.smugmug.com/gallery/37077...#14760839_wrfyG
fastfingers
QUOTE(Bill D @ Apr 13 2008, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 6 2007, 11:18 PM) *

Jeff,

Do you know when this picture was taken? Where is this picture from?

Thanks

I remember the magazine article where I saw this picture. I think it was People magazine. I remember that the article mentioned that Dr. Sagan had 2 Porsches, one having the license plate PHOBOS, as seen here, and the other named DEIMOS. Perhaps the other was the 911 mentioned later in this thread?
tod914
George McGovern had an Irish green 914-6. I remember seeing the sales advertisement of it from years back. Maybe 10 years ago.
smg914
Erich Strenger owned a factory 914-6 M471 GT for nearly 15 years. And to think a man of his talent and background would choose to own a 914, means he liked it's form and function and the beauty of it's lines. Erich's works of art are legendary and I'm thinking he believed the 914 was a work of art. Prior to purchasing the 914-6 he owned a 356.

I'm sure that many people are thinking, "Who the heck is Erich Strenger?" unsure.gif However, the people that feel their Porshce means so much more than just a fun car to drive, and enjoy reading about the history of Porsche, know exactly who he is. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.