Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
Man, what a pain!!! I started the install on my Mallory Unilite today, and it was anything but smooth. I think someone mentioned "dimpling" their sheet metal to make room for the larger dizzy head. smash.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif I hope I didn't damage the head underneath the tin. I finally got the danged thing in (or so I thought) to the point that I could rotate the dizzy, but come to find out when I went to fire it up, I didn't have it seated properly. So, after more cussing, it finally slipped all the way in--but the rotor spins freely still. I guess it's still not in all the way, huh? Last, now that my timing is completely Fuched, do I pull the valve cover and watch until #1 rocks? I have my flywheel timing mark to guide me by after that, I guess to find TDC on #1. Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

--bird
Jake Raby
These are not typical results... More than likely if the timing is screwed you didn't remove the old dizzy @ TDC, therefore you are having a hard time reinstalling.

Was this unit purchased from nmy store? If so I will call you tomorrow to walk you through the steps to retiming the engine correctly.

More times than not installs are what you make them, getting frustrated or working under a time constraint is a huge No No.
Chris Hamilton
I didn't have to do a huge amount of denting into the tins for my unilite. Timing was easy because I just recorded what my old dizzy was at, and tried to make this match as closely as possible. Did end up a bit advanced, but not badly. Really smooth install for me, doing the wiring on my nology and MSD parts was more difficult.

If you have any trouble finding TDC, just pull the valve cover and you'll see everything you need to know. A manual starter button could be invaluable to you, so scoop up one of those too so you don't have to prybar the flywheel.
SLITS
If you marked the flywheel or blower impeller .... pull #1 spark plug .... have someone rotate engine (with a wrench on the alt nut) while you stick your finger in #1 spark plug hole ... when you feel it building pressure, you're on the compression stroke ..... align mark you made and you're at TDC #1 or close to it ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.