Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gold 914-6 on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I haven't checked, but figure this car has been posted on the Garage.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

My point with this forum is - why do so many people paint the insides of the F & R trunks black? Why would someone take a very nice 914, such as this, & (in my opinion) trash its resale value?

I've seen this time & time again, on junkers & halfway decent 914's. To me, it's the death of any interest. I assume there's something to hide.

Opinions
Eric_Shea
why do so many people paint the insides of the F & R trunks black?

Rust.
orthobiz
You mean, they weren't all black cars to start with and then the rest of the car got changed? av-943.gif

What really gets me is pics of the interior and nobody ran their finger on the dashboard lower sill and it's full of dirt, dust and grime. This particular car has only a little of that.

And my 1.8 downhill is just as fast as that 6 in the video!

Hey, maybe start a "my most hated concours weenie ruining 914 modification," like, PORSCHE rear reflectors with multiple drill holes. I know you're up to it, Pat!

Paul
Eric_Shea
That cars been worked over pretty good. Holes in the dash. Different gauges. Different struts. Engine. Rear Bumper. Front valance. etc...

WAY too much money for a car that will need an additional $15k to make it right.

If this were a conversion car, some of the changes would be fine but, I tend to look at original -6's as a fairly rare piece if 914 history. I tend to like them the way they are.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 7 2007, 07:54 PM) *

That cars been worked over pretty good. Holes in the dash. Different gauges. Different struts. Engine. Rear Bumper. Front valance. etc...

WAY too much money for a car that will need an additional $15k to make it right.

If this were a conversion car, some of the changes would be fine but, I tend to look at original -6's as a fairly rare piece if 914 history. I tend to like them the way they are.

I remember thinking REALLY hard about spec'ing a 914 to that gold color in '72. Yeah, I know, most of you hate it - my wife hated it, which is why I have red (sometimes you need to barter a bit to get what you want). Besides, it was $300, which was 10% of the price of a 914-4 (never could figure out why black was that same price as gold or silver).

Back to the six on eBay......Not sure that it would take 15k, but at least 10. Still a decent example, though I would bet that most people would hold thier noses at the color (not me, of course). Oops, they just lowered the price to $28 - still way too much. My wife says the color isn't as bad as she remebered ( a good sign), so I think I may put a bid on it, though I'm sure it won't be accepted.

I can take care of some of it's foibles with spare parts. It just really bugs be why so many people think that semi-flat black paint is cool where it shouldn't be.

davep
member '914insf' is the current owner.

I believe that the car was probably modified many years ago before the mystique of the six developed. These were mostly just personalizations. The front S suspension is a pretty nice upgrade as are the sway-bars. You have to remember that back in the day they were considered underpowered. As a result, many owners proceeded to upgrade the cars to a more interesting performance specification. Today an unblemished 914/6 is highly desirable, but unfortunately no match for a nicely warmed up 914/4 in terms of performance.
sixerdon
Is that a "silver" 914-6" emblem on that car? Difficult to tell.

The black paint in the trunks looks like Ziebart that was sprayed there. I had the same stuff in my six when I bought it 15 years ago. It took a case of Goo Gone and many hours to clean it up.

If this is an American six, then someone went through a lot of trouble to change it to a Euro look. Speedometer, side markers, etc. I don't see any other clues though to make it Euro.

Still, $28K for a '71 six....I believe someone will snap it up. Give it time. Anyone want to cough up a qtr mill for a '54 speedster? From Greece no less.
Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2007, 09:08 PM) *

Is that a "silver" 914-6" emblem on that car? Difficult to tell.

The black paint in the trunks looks like Ziebart that was sprayed there. I had the same stuff in my six when I bought it 15 years ago. It took a case of Goo Gone and many hours to clean it up.

If this is an American six, then someone went through a lot of trouble to change it to a Euro look. Speedometer, side markers, etc. I don't see any other clues though to make it Euro.

Still, $28K for a '71 six....I believe someone will snap it up. Give it time. Anyone want to cough up a qtr mill for a '54 speedster? From Greece no less.
Don

Don,

My 914 was Ziebarted when new. But, no visible material was anywhere - just the plugs. After a hot summer, the stuff started weeping from structural pieces of the F & R trunk lids, but was easily cleaned off with WD40. I still use WD40 every year to soften the Ziebart on my pan.

I seriously don't think that's Ziebart on this six. I think it's black paint, and the cheap way to try to hide surface rust. I've seen dozens of 914's on eBay with the same or worse treatment.
Pat
Eric_Shea
Not sure that it would take 15k, but at least 10

$10k would be the proper paint job. Then there's seals, interior pieces, metal work on the dash, floor pan, etc. wink.gif

Not overly raggin on the car (it's fairly sharp and the mods were probably period correct) but, the price is a bit North of the "Reality Pole" when considering what it will take to make it a "real" $27k car.
jaminM3
It's up over $19,000. I know you guys keep talking about he "Buy it now" price, but I don't think anyone is going to excersize that option. I think it will end up selling for around $20K. Do you think this is a good deal at that price? confused24.gif

And for what it's worth, I love the gold!!!
Johny Blackstain
I think it should fetch @ least $20K because it's a running six & it's a 71. Don't think it will meet the buy it now price but it will meet or exceed $20k. Wonder what his reserve is? Also, what's w/ the hoses in the front trunk?
beech4rd
Maybe the hoses go to this thing, which is probably cooling the oilClick to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Oct 9 2007, 07:43 PM) *

Maybe the hoses go to this thing, which is probably cooling the oil

where is this pic from?
porschecb
From the additional 100 pictures he posted biggrin.gif
beech4rd
In the middle of the listing there is a link to a further 100 photos of the car- some are repeats and others are not on the e-bay listing. That's where I discovered it had an oil cooler hidden under the front bumper. Dead giveaway was the obviously rigged box in the front of the front trunk. The hose clamps are sorta amateurish for a pressurized oiling/cooling system- you don't have them on a 911.
Chris
Johny Blackstain
This begs the question: why would you put an oil cooler on a stock 2.0? AX much? Well used engine & tranny?

edit: I should read more before I write chair.gif ... has been upgraded to a 2.4
TedK
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 9 2007, 02:50 PM) *

I think it should fetch @ least $20K because it's a running six & it's a 71. Don't think it will meet the buy it now price but it will meet or exceed $20k.

These prices keep moving up, look at the 914-4 survivor on ebay currently at 17,000! I missed out on an ebay 914-6(unassembled) that went to someone in France mad.gif. That unfinished car plus parts went for 22,400, still kicking myself on that one.

Ted K
Eric_Shea
Do you think this is a good deal at that price? confused24.gif

Nope. (well... it depends on if you're the buyer or the seller) It's a sharp car but it needs a "full" going through and it will be expensive to do it right. You don't Maaco a gold 71 914-6. There's holes all over that thing (dash, front trunk etc.) Take it from someone who's BTDT on a -6.
SirAndy
anybody noticed the ugly welding around the front a-arm mount? barf.gif

i bet my 2 cents that that thing will be a bitch to get aligned right ...
shades.gif Andy
jd74914
It looks alike that was done a long time ago too . . . it has tons of crap on it now.
TedK
Well, it just sold for 25,000 to someone in the Netherlands. That's the second 914-6 on Ebay to leave the country in one month's time. That car is already "Europized" so the buyer has that much less work to do.
orthobiz
QUOTE(TedK @ Oct 11 2007, 01:05 PM) *

That car is already "Europized" so the buyer has that much less work to do.

Till he puts a screwdriver through a hole somewhere on the underbelly!

Paul
Bleyseng
Well, he got a steal for 17,000 Euros as there isn't many sixes over there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.