Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusty gas tank treatment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thack
Hey guys,

Pulled my tank last night and saw all the dirt from 30 years of gasoline in there. Plenty of rust also. What would you guys recomend as a treament? Is there a POR-15 or some other kit available? I used to use Kreem for motorcycle tanks.
VaccaRabite
Yes, POR15 makes a kit. So does Eastwood I think.

The trick with Por15 is that you HAVE TO GIVE EACH STEP PLENTY OF TIME TO DRY or the whole thing fails down the line. Any water under the paint wil eventually cause it to lift.

Zach
rjames
Lots of threads on this, do a search and ye shall find.

You could try taking it to a radiator shop and having them dip it in their caustic tank to see if you really need to coat the inside with some sort of sealer or not.

Make sure you get a knew filter/sock for the inside of the tank too.
Thack
I'm going to clean the tank with muriatic acid and then stop the reaction with soapy water. Then I will coat it with diesel until I get a real sealer.
Brian Mifsud
Baking soda does the trick to stop the reaction. I've done two gas tanks and one diesel tank.

First I cleaned out tanks with detergent, water and nuts and bolts. Shake it, shake it, shake it baby now.......

Flush and repeat til you can see all the chunkage is gone.

Nuts and bolts will be all shiny!

Now hit with the acid. I've let thickwalled tanks soak overnight, you're mileage may vary. Carefully and slowly pour in the baking soda in water. If you go too fast, it will erupt acid into your face.... go really slow. Keep adding 'til all bubbling stops and you've neutralized the acid.

Dump and flush with clear water,

Repeat.

Put out in hot sun to bake out the residual water, or place a hair dryer in opening to do the same. Make sure air can flow in and out or you will overheat your hair dryer and it will quit on you.

Pour in tank paint and rotate tank to get the coating all around.

Bake in sun agin!
Thack
That's an awesome reply. I've searched this site and didn't find anything about tank cleaning. Thanks again.
BahnBrenner914
There are threads, like the one linked in my signature below, and I think there's more links in that thread to other threads.
Thack
I like the way people argue about discarding the acid and the difference of coating or not. Great pics, thanks.
Brian Mifsud
Neutralize any acid you use, Muriatic (Hydrochloric), Citric (Vinegar), or whatever. Baking Soda will neutralize any and all of them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.