Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Unilite Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
Just a few questions. Waiting to receive this distributor. It is replacing a 009 and will be used with a Bosch blue coil and an MSD-5 electronic ignition (no rev-limiter). Any advantage gained by upgrading the coil or will it work just fine?

I know the unit is much larger than my 009. Anything special I need to be aware of for installation of the Mallory in a T4 engine (adaptors, clearance)?

Is a "ballast resistor" required for this combination? If so, exactly what is a ballast resistor and what does it do?

This will be my first time swapping out a distributor, so any info is appreciated.

Joseph
75 2.0L AX bound
Brad Roberts
Hey Joseph.

I just installed a MSD dizzy which had about the same cap size as the Mallory. I had to take a soft face hammer to the engine tin so the number 3 plug wire would go on. Its a tight fit, but I easily adjusted the timing today and had NO issues with turning the dizzy. You can see in my pic where I marked it with the spot that needed room.

B
Brad Roberts
NOW.

I smacked the tin because I needed the dizzy at TDC. The pic above is with 30deg dialed in. Here is complete shot.

B
campbellcj
Don't forget you will most likely need the "remote pressure sender" if you're running a VDO oil pressure gauge.

I think we already discussed that in an earlier thread.

Pretty sure that's what the hose going across B's pic is.
Joseph Mills
Brad-
Thanks for the detailed pics. I had no idea it might require such a modification.....I'll have my hammer on standby.

Chris-
I just have what appears to be the stock (tiny) sending unit but plan to switch to pressure/temp gages later.

Still wondering about the "ballast resistor" if anyone has experience with it. A guy with the same distributor said he had to use one on his mustang???

Thanks.
Zeke
The main purpose of a ballast resistor is to reduce the votage to a set of points, thus making them last longer. With the unilite, that is not a concern. Instructions should point this out.
Brad Roberts
I agree with Milt.

Now here is exactly why you dont need the ballast:

The Bosch Blue coil has one built in. Your Mallory dizzy wont need one.

I hope you didnt buy the Mallory dual point...

Thanks Chris...

You will HAVE to have the remote oil pressure sending unit. I use the dual pole variety. One pole for the idiot light and the other for the gauge.

B
Lawrence
Okay.. since the topic has moved to ballast resistors...

Why does my 914/6 tach need one? It seems like just another piece destined to fail.

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.