Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's been a busy track year for Lucille...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
We've been tracking and AX'ing our Spec Boxster for 11 months now. This is a 2 driver and sometimes 3 driver car. Doris and I are the primary drivers and Randal Barrick is the 3rd driver on occasion.

If you are looking for a reliable platform to race with, look no further than a Spec Boxster. Check out these statistics:

Year to date 2007:

Total track and AX miles = 3216 miles!

Laguna Seca = 5 track days including 2 days with unlimited lapping

Sears Point = 1 track day

Buttonwillow = 5 track days

Thunderhill = 10 track days

Total track days = 21 days x 2 (remember....my wife drives too!) = 42 equivalent single driver days!

We have one more day scheduled at Laguna Seca in December.

We took the car to a Hillclimb event and Randal set an SCCA ITR class record up the hill.

What are the issues and consumables you ask?

1. 3 sets of brake pads in front, 2 sets in back.

2. We are on our second set of rotors in front. The drilled rotors we put on at the beginning of the season cracked very badly after I ran a 3 day event at Laguna Seca last month. I put on almost 400 miles on the car that weekend. I had a spare set of drilled rotors that I put on for now to finish the season. Next year I plan on trying the slotted rotors to see how they wear.

3. I developed a PS fluid leak at the steering rack end on the high pressure side. Changing the o-rings didn't help, so I switched out the line.

4. We had a left rear shock mount fail. During assembly of the car I had forgotten to put in the correct metal washer. My fault.

5. Replaced right rear wheel bearing.

6.. We ran Kumho's all year. 3 sets of Victoracers for the track and 1 set of V710's for AX. For time runs we always used our freshest set. We have 181 AX passes on the V710's. All I can say is that V710's are a great bang for the buck. Other than changing tires and AR settings from track to AX, we just show up and play, no hassles.

I just took delivery of the Hankook C51's, so I may put those on and play with them at Laguna.

Other than changing oil and brake fluid, pads and rotors that is all we did. No runs, drips or errors. The car fired up EVERY time. We never threw a code. No electrical problems. No overheating (we ran 2 drivers in 100+ degree temps). No shock failures. For the money, I cannot think of more grins per dollar!

Future issues will be how to keep the car together with Doris starting to get quick on track. We don't know if we should dial back the track schedule or say the hell with it and run full bore. Tire wise, I have plenty of data on the Victoracers. I plan on testing the Hankooks for our sticky needs (time trials, club races, etc.) and trying the Nitto NT-01's for DE and lapping. I believe they are the same compound as Toyo RA-1's, so maybe we can stretch out our practice tire "life". We are not cording the Vracers, only making them hard. I just bought some of that tire goop to try and see if I can get a few more sessions out of Kumho's.

Whew...that's alot of track time. No wonder I want to put the car down for the winter and start with the projects!

Bill P.
drew365
That's a lot of track time Bill. I've only been doing four weekends a year for the past two years. I keep saying next year will be better. I think the answer to your problem is a back up car........... longer trailer to carry them........... a couple guys to help with the lifting........... hospitality tent.......... am I going too far?
Chris Pincetich
That's awesome. Whether your Spec class gets off the ground or you just keep havin fun at PCA, you guys built a winner. Keep up the good work beerchug.gif
McMark
Amazing! Sounds like a great season, Bill. thumb3d.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 9 2007, 09:14 PM) *

Amazing! Sounds like a great season, Bill. thumb3d.gif

Hi Mark,

Thanks again for all the work you did on our Boxster! The car has been just a ton of fun to drive. Hopefully a few more people in the area will be looking to build a car. And of course, I'll be sending them your way!

Bill P.
J P Stein
I'm glad you're having fun.
I had some fun too...our season is over till next Spring.

Gonna rebuild the motor....which is also fun in a perverse way & do some reinforcing of the rear suspenders....which is un-fun....then make a trip down your way early in the season so's we can have fun together.biggrin.gif

Hay, it's a plan.... confused24.gif

DanT
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 10 2007, 04:47 PM) *

I'm glad you're having fun.
I had some fun too...our season is over till next Spring.

Gonna rebuild the motor....which is also fun in a perverse way & do some reinforcing of the rear suspenders....which is un-fun....then make a trip down your way early in the season so's we can have fun together.biggrin.gif

Hay, it's a plan.... confused24.gif

now that would be great JP. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Dan.....dunno if you have noticed but my plans have been known to go to hell in a hand basket....but I keep on thinkin' good thoughts.

God willin' & the creek don't rise, I'll get down that way.
nine14cats
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 10 2007, 06:13 PM) *

Dan.....dunno if you have noticed but my plans have been known to go to hell in a hand basket....but I keep on thinkin' good thoughts.

Hi JP,

Randal and I were talking about hauling our butts up that way and meeting in-between. Any AX sites in the Medford area? Might be a plan......

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 11 2007, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 10 2007, 06:13 PM) *

Hi JP,

Randal and I were talking about hauling our butts up that way and meeting in-between. Any AX sites in the Medford area? Might be a plan......

Bill P.

I'd go to Medford too as my Dad lives in Grants Pass. By next year I'll have the Mazda finished. I just cant justify towing car all that way, but if I drive a AX capable street car i could make it work. I have all the suspension bits ordered this week. Konis, springs, big adjustable swaybars, custom endlinks, alignment goodies.

Installed the intake yesterday. Still have downpipe, big intercooler, billet blowoff valve and a few other tricks to give me over 300 WHP and keep it California smog legal. Dont think I'll go any higher with HP as mods required for that make the car non-smog legal.

Then I have to settle on wheels and tires. Thinking 17x8.5 with 245 width NTO1's.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.