Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler(s)/catalytic converter - which one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Fellas:
Well, it looks like I will need a new muffler and also will need to add a cat to my 76 914.
Some of the mufflers I'm seeing on the net or 914s don't look like they'd fit my car.
Can you guys tell me what you think of your mufflers and where did you buy it and
how much did it cost?
I am assuming I will need to add a cat to my car in order to pass emissions here in WI.
Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
Andy...
seanery
75 & 76 cars have their own mufflers and heat exchangers IIRC. So, everything is different for you.
MarkV
If you don't have to run a air pump you could use 70-74 heat exchangers with a muffler like this:
MarkV
oops
fraggle00
I have a quad pipe ANSA (at least I think it is) that is probably not going back on my '75 2.0. My heat exchangers are shot and I cannot find any reasonable cost replacements, and I'm building the motor anyway so I'll probably end up with a header setup (tangerine??).

Currently it has no cat but it has the spot for it. Sounded good and looked good.

IPB Image

$120 + shipping? PM me if you're interested.
Joe Bob
I would jump on that.....

As to the cat, any aftermarket one can be fitted in there by a competent muff shop. BUT, do you REALLY need it? In your area are they SYILL inspecting 75-76 cars for smog?
914zim
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what the requirements are for my '76 914 here in WI.
I've only had it since August and have yet to drive it, let alone get it tested.
I'm planning on calling the DMV soon to find out what is actually required.
I think here in Milwaukee county, older cars still have to pass an emission test, but only once and to
less strict amounts, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone from WI know for sure?
Thanks for the input guys!
Andy...
seanery
do you fit in this category:
Vehicle emission testing
Where tests are required | When tests are required | Testing stations | Procedure

Motor vehicles are a major source of air pollutants in metropolitan areas. Vehicle exhaust emissions include carbon monoxide and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). In Southeastern Wisconsin, motor vehicles emit about one-third of volatile organic compounds (mostly hydrocarbons) and 60% of carbon monoxide present.

The federal Clean Air Act spells out air quality standards that all areas of the United States must meet. Southeastern Wisconsin is one of over 90 metropolitan areas in 35 states violating these standards. The Clean Air Act mandates the operation of state-administered vehicle emission inspection and maintenance programs in many of these areas, including Southeastern Wisconsin.  

The purpose of the Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection Program (VIP) is to identify vehicles:

With excessive exhaust emissions and require them to meet reasonable emission standards to reduce vehicle-related air pollution
That have experienced emission equipment tampering, regardless of how caused. The owners of these vehicles are required to have "tampered" items repaired, replaced, or adjusted to proper working order before the vehicle can be registered.
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) sets the emission standards for vehicles. Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) administers the Vehicle Inspection Program.
Where tests are required
Emission tests are required on automobiles and on trucks with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight less than 10,000 pounds that are customarily kept in:

Sheboygan County  
and the southeastern Wisconsin counties of:

Kenosha
Milwaukee
Ozaukee
Racine
Washington
Waukesha
914zim
Yeah, I live in Waukesha county. My parents live in Milwaukee county, so no help there either.
Thanks for the info. It looks like the air pump was removed from my car, since there is a pully on my car for it. I wonder if I'll have to put one back on in order to pass emissions. That would suck. sad.gif
I went through this BS a few years ago on a '78 911 I had. Turned out it was a Euro car without a cat, so I had to buy one and put it on in order to pass. That DID suck big-time mad.gif mad.gif
Andy...
fraggle00
doesn't everyone have a shop or inspection station that magically passes everyone for a small "fee" for "tweaking mixture settings"? If you go to the right place they might not even do the visual (or realize that old car HAD an air pump) After all, many people haven't seen a flat-4 in a while, especially one buried in the middle of a car.

My friend's brother in law runs an emission tester van so I'm not really worried (yet). I also can get classic plates in Idaho in another year that will totally exempt my car (30 year rule). Say what you like, but I think that most of the "rules" are really designed to charge the populace an extra $20 for the test rather than actually have a positive effect on the environment.

914zim is checking the measurements I sent on that muffler so we'll see - we may have a winner!

then I'll get to start researching what I want to do on my 914 when it gets back together. I see there's a heat exchanger available for the tangerine system now. but the cost!!!! it is a work of art, tho. maybe I'll try to make my own welder.gif
736conver
Not that I have ever done this, but when you fill out your MV form just say the car is kept in another county. Like Dane county or some up north "retreat". You wont have to pass any test then. Just make sure that county is not require for testing.
fraggle00
nope. THat won't work in Idaho. They actually have a computer somewhere that checks the records against your DL and your primary residence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.