Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dry sump oil systems for the type IV (where to get)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
This goes out to the racers here @ 914World... I am wondering where to get a dry sump oiliing system for the type IV and how hard it would be to set it up. I know it is possible because my friends Lola has a type IV with a dry sump.

I have thought of the other routes: Deep sump, Acu sump ... I just really like dry sump the best for guarenteed oil in a high g corner.

Thanks in advance for any leads... I looked all over the Raby web site and did not see anything.
john rogers
As far as I know, no one sells a kit of even a collection of parts that could easily be installed by anyone. You have to put it together on your own, with the help of a race shop probably. When I had my 2.8L four with it's dry sump system, here is what we used. Note, if you run the braided hoses to the front oil cooler, use dash 12 so when you convert to a six later on they will work with th larger engine. The sump cover was a modified Autocraft plate with studs that were tapped into the case to hold it on. The suction went to a three stage Autocraft external pump, driven off the cam, with the extra suction hooked to the valve covers to empty the heads. The pressure stage took suction on a custom round oil tank that was made locally in San Diego. There are several makers but make sure to get one with plenty of baffles inside. The discharge went to a modified block with larger oil passages as at 7000 RPM that pump puts out a huge amount of oil. The outlet of the suction went to a remote filter, then to the front oil cooler through braided dash 12 Earl's hose and an Earl's cooler with home made ducting in the front trunk. The engine was not vented but the oil tank was, to a 1 qt puke tank. At high RPMS (over 4K) the case has a substantial vacuum so venting is not necessary. You will have to modify the valve covers with tabs or the gaskets will get sucked into the valve train area at high RPM. There are some picts, I think still, on the Pelican site tech articles of my setup back in 2000 or so with the big four in the car. Good luck.
LarryR
thanks for all the info John
Jake Raby
I can create you a "kit" set up similar to how we have arranged our dry sump system on our F production car and many other similar race engines.

We are modeling a billet dry sump oil pump (version 3) at the present and expect it to be the best offering available to date using two billet tool steel intermediate plates to help resist wear.
LarryR
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 9 2007, 06:23 AM) *

I can create you a "kit" set up similar to how we have arranged our dry sump system on our F production car and many other similar race engines.

We are modeling a billet dry sump oil pump (version 3) at the present and expect it to be the best offering available to date using two billet tool steel intermediate plates to help resist wear.

Hey that sounds great Jake! I will be getting in touch with you after my car is finished at McMarks.

Larry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.