Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
The fore and aft seals are almost perfect. The side seals were toast and are out. I'll need to buy those. I know a CW would say yank em, paint and put back, but it seems to me that the only way to get them out is to bend the metal that retains it. Which means putting it back in will call for rebending fresh painted metal to retain the rubber. Anal? Maybe.

And yes, I will paint the firewall below the engine shelf. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks guys.
Gint
I'll leave the decsion to you, but that's the only way I've been able to get them out.
tracks914
I bent the metal out a bit at one end for about 2 inches. I then worked the seal to that point as I carefully removed it to do the job right. (A spray lubricant helped it slide)
When I put the seal back in I put some white lithium grease on it and slid it in the same place I removed it from.
Then I used a soft hammer to reshape the metal where I bent it.
The paint wasn't damaged and didn't even need to be touched up.
That's just what I did. smile.gif
swood
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Dec 27 2003, 08:01 PM)
I bent the metal out a bit at one end for about 2 inches.

Thanks! That'll do the trick perfectly!
tracks914
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Dec 27 2003, 08:01 PM)
I then worked the seal to that point as I carefully removed it to do the job right. (A spray lubricant helped it slide)
When I put the seal back in I put some white lithium grease on it and slid it in the same place I removed it from.

It sure wasn't a five minute job but it was worth it in the end. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.