Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question, "OBO" in classified gets offer over asking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
OK, here is the delema. I sell lots of stuf on ebay but some of it goes here. When selling here I always sell for $$$$, OBO(Or Best Offer). Typically the first person makes an offer but says that they want to make sure that the shipping is not too high. If I have gotten a better offer by the time I get the shipping quote I let the person know that I got a better offer and see if they want to match. If not then it goes to the better offer. If the first person says that they will pay full price I just sell it to them. In this case the first person said "I am interested if the shipping isnt too high.." No indication on how much they are interested in paying. I replied "I will be heading out of town for till saturday night. I will get it boxed up and get it to my friend who is a DHL Shipper and get you a shipping quote on Monday. You are first in line." In the mean time I got one other person who said "How much to ship to......." with out an offer and another person who said "If you havent sold it all give you $250.00 plus shipping" $250.00 is $25.00 over the original listing price of $225.00. Who gets it??? I know what I am going to do but does the "OBO" mean that the first person in line gets a chance at $250.00, then the second person and then the person who made the best offer?? popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
TravisNeff
It appears that only one person actually gave you an offer. If you never had a deal finalized then it would be to the highest offer. But if you struck a deal and then later got a better offer, I probably stand by the first agreement.
PeeGreen 914
Sounds like a tough personal decision to me. If I were the guy who was first in line, I'm not, I would match the best offer if I knew of it. We all want to find the parts we need for a good price, but we also want to make sure our fellow teeners are taken care of. Good luck with this one. beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Oct 8 2007, 10:25 PM) *

It appears that only one person actually gave you an offer.

Most people PM when sending an offer
TravisNeff
Only 1 person offered a dollar figure for the goods, the others wanted shipping quotes first.
kconway
So if the first guy says, "I'll give you $X if the shpping isn't too high" would that make a difference? It's easy to get PO'd about losing out on a bargain because you didn't know the etiquet. Just in case I'm hot for a part, I wanna be prepared.
hwgunner
The first and third people who contacted me did so by PM and the second person posted on the thread. beer3.gif
SGB
Most of the parts have a fairly well known market price. Seems like the first (non-specific) offer should have right of first refusal at $250.
LarryR
I see your delima. However, based on an implied amount if buyer #1 was saying that he would give you the asking price + shipping without negotiation I would sell to buyer #1.

It is kind of an implied acceptance by saying ok I will get you a shipping quote and let you know how much to ship when I get back from bla bla...

I think it is just good buisness to honor a first agrement.
bigkensteele
Personally, I would give the first guy the option to up his ante, since you did have a higher offer, and he had not [firmly] committed. If he is not willing to meet your higher offer, then sell to the third guy. Regardless of what you do, don't leave anyone of the three with the impression that you pulled the rug out from under them. Send a message to each explaining how you made your decision and reference this thread to indicate that you at least thought it to be a moral dilemna. I think that we all get sick of seeing the "he said/she said" sob stories from upset potential buyers/sellers, when the whole problem originates from a lack of communication.
VaccaRabite
If you have 2 prior possibles, and one firm, the firm offer wins. Hands down.

The priors never made an offer, they were just kicking tires. Cut and dry, from where I am looking.

Zach
rhodyguy
ok...first, if some asks you for a shipping quote that should mean they intend to buy the part and need to know how large of a money order to purchase. shipping is going to be what ever it is. too often you send the quote and the total, send it off and never hear back.

in my case, i have to box the item up. drive to fedex (takes about 30 to 45 minutes one way), send the info off, drive to fedex again to ship. that's if the shipping is ok. small stuff over 3lbs? flat rate priority mail box. build it into the price. it cuts the pms/emails to a minimum. try to conclude the deal via a phone call. cut to the chase and move to the next buyer. if the first buyer drags their heels, too bad. if there are sellers that pick up "seconds" to the next in line buyer when a "sale pending" is posted you lose out. frustrating.
angerosa
Yes - just like buying a house.
You got three offers.
The third one had the best price and no contingencies.

Since you have to get the shipping quote anyway before you ship it, no matter who you send it to. You may want to give the first two guys the option to match the bid just in case guy number 3 doesn't work out in the end. You then could go back to guy number 1 and 2 and ask if their original offers still stand.
brer
As far as I have been able to divine, here on 914world the operative phrase needs to be uttered.

"I'll Take it"
"Sold"
"Mine, Mine, Mine"

Any queries about part numbers, fitiment, shipping ect. without attaching the operative phrase leaves the item on the table for others to offer on.

Some gentlepeople's will honor a first come first right of refusal policy, but that is just a courtesy and differs from person to person.

Thats how I've seen it at least.
rhodyguy
with private carriers, the rate can vary depending on delivery location. whether it's a biz or home delivery costs dif. shipping something 50 miles may not be the same as sending it across the country.

there's lots of variables.

k
watsonrx13
If I'm a buyer, my comment would be 'I'll take, how much to ship to?'

Or, 'I'll take it, will you take $$$$ including shipping?'

If you, as a buyer, decide not to take the item because it's too expensive to crate/ship, no problem, cancel the order and the seller can go to the next responder...

The key phrase is 'I'll take it...'

BTW, I've had a number of transactions with the members on this board, as a buyer, and I've never felt slighted/cheated in any way....

-- Rob
michaelt55
Let me make this easy...

I was the first person..I did not dicker over the price, I just wanted to know what shipping would cost.
I know Jonathan won't screw me but I also did not want to pay $100 for shipping.

This board amazes me....
Its like a pack of wild dogs..you chew each other apart over small issues and I keep seeing this "holier than thou" attitude...
I keep seeing this and instead of being a tight knit group, you guys are like survivors in a peruvian soccer air crash. Any sign of weakness and you guys jump them.

Jonathan, I respect you so please don't take this wrong...but the guy who offered more..let him have it....

As a retired military I really respect comradarie, and giving the person respect until they show they don't deserve it.

This really ticks me off but after seeing multiple examples of this "914 fellowship" ..... lets just say I am glad I don't have to deal with this every day..

Michael
brer
its a big group.

confused24.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Oct 9 2007, 02:29 PM) *

Let me make this easy...

I was the first person..I did not dicker over the price, I just wanted to know what shipping would cost.
I know Jonathan won't screw me but I also did not want to pay $100 for shipping.

This board amazes me....
Its like a pack of wild dogs..you chew each other apart over small issues and I keep seeing this "holier than thou" attitude...
I keep seeing this and instead of being a tight knit group, you guys are like survivors in a peruvian soccer air crash. Any sign of weakness and you guys jump them.

Jonathan, I respect you so please don't take this wrong...but the guy who offered more..let him have it....

As a retired military I really respect comradarie, and giving the person respect until they show they don't deserve it.

This really ticks me off but after seeing multiple examples of this "914 fellowship" ..... lets just say I am glad I don't have to deal with this every day..

Michael

Michael, first off this post was not intended to make you mad and in reality has nothing to do with our deal. As I stated in the beginning I had already decided what I was going to do and I have done it. I was just surprised that a friend of mine said without hesitation that he would just sell it to the guy with the higher offer (not you Mark) and wanted to see what other people would say. poke.gif shades.gif popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif happy11.gif
JRust
I have sold quite a bit on the boards over the years. I try to give the first guy the best shot. If I have other offers I tell them so they won't drag their heels. I try to get the deal firmed up quickly. IF someone drags their feet they may lose out. Tire kickers are a pain & it takes time to get shipping quote's. If I take an offer from someone & the shipping turns out to be way to much I give them an option. I gladly refund any money I have recieved in that case. Bottom line take care of the guys you sell too. Most here on the board will understand if someone else gets an item they want. Really if you miss out on a part you know it's going to a fellow teener. So why get upset about it? There is always a better deal idea.gif
bigkensteele
I can see both sides of this argument. Any buyer here or on ebay has the right to make sure that they are not going to get screwed on shipping. Unfortunately, it has become a given that if you buy something on ebay, you are going to be screwed on shipping. It is in the buyers best interest to know that they won't have to pay $58 for shipping on a $37 part.

On the other hand, we are all friends here. It is implied that we won't screw each other.

That said, I recently shipped an item through my company's mailroom for around $5, and the nearest UPS store wanted about $70 to package and ship it.

So, I truly believe that expressing an interest while asking for a shipping cost should put someone first in line. Not every seller has access to the company mailroom, and there is a big difference between $5 and $70 on an 8lb package. I know this firsthand.

Ken
brownaar
If the first person stated they would buy the item at the asking price "if the shipping was not too high," I would think they are entitled to first refusal, but at the already agreed upon price. The only question is whether the shipping price is a go or no-go. If it's a no-go, move on to the next person. Even with a better offer at that time, I feel the first person expressed their intent to buy, so shouldn't have to cough up to the higher offer. Maybe that's why I'm such a pushover.

VaccaRabite
One thing that you could try (and that I am trying to incorperate into the things that I occationally sell) is a flat rate for shipping.

ie, $100 + 35 shipping in the US, $100 for Europe.

Of course, this is just an example, and requires you to have a preconception of shipping costs. I once offered $25 to ship something, totally forgetting just how heavy it was, and it cost $70 to ship (and UPS destroyed it in the process to boot). But, mostly, saying up front what you want for shipping has worked for me - and it gives the buyer a very firm place to make an offer.

Zach
Eric_Shea

Yikes, I thought it was a pretty cool discussion. huh.gif

A majority here echoed offering the first potential the first right of refusal. Sounds like Jonathan did the right thing.

Why slam the group? confused24.gif
jaminM3
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 10 2007, 08:00 AM) *

One thing that you could try (and that I am trying to incorperate into the things that I occationally sell) is a flat rate for shipping.

Of course, this is just an example, and requires you to have a preconception of shipping costs. I once offered $25 to ship something, totally forgetting just how heavy it was, and it cost $70 to ship (and UPS destroyed it in the process to boot). But, mostly, saying up front what you want for shipping has worked for me - and it gives the buyer a very firm place to make an offer.

Zach

agree.gif I have sold many things on Ebay and most of the time I put flat shipping. I get a shipping quote to Miami and a quote to Southern California and average it, obviously this is becaus I am in Utah. I have had great success with it. I also only use the USPS, for small parts their Priority Mail can't be beat and the mail chain stores screw you.

As far as the issue at hand, you listed it at $225 OBO. You got a better offer as long as you offer to the first guy to meet or beat than what is the problem?
markb
Boy, this has turned into a mess, hasn't it? I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. Most of you know Jonathan is selling this part, and a bunch of other parts for me, because I'm having some difficulties right now. When he called me about this & asked for my opinion, I knew there was no right answer, and suggested he put it to the World to see if there was a consensus. It seems there is really no consensus, and there are good points in both directions. I don't know what he ultimately decided to do, but I'm sure he made the right decision. I think from now on when I am the potential buyer, I'll be very clear that I'm buying it. I can always back out of it later. I may look like a jerk, but at least there is no confusion of my intent to buy.
Thanks all for your insight into this. It's what the World is all about.
michaelt55
why slam the group? I did not "slam the group". It depends on the day here who is consider "ok".... I saw a thread about Craig in Camp 914 that seems to drag his rep thru the mud... Jake gets beaten up frequently which he definately does not deserve... etc etc.

If I was asked if I wanted it for $250 I would have probably said yes. However I do want to know the price for shipping.

Michael
cooltimes
Since the term OBO was stated, it implies sell in an auction "best price I can get " atmosphere.
With that understood, at an auction, you signal to the auctioneer that you will meet the price heard, even if it is a momentary term of consent, you virtually own it, are committed legally to pay that price unless a higher bid is offered.

While it does appear you are concerned if you are not obligated to sell to the person that 1st responded to your price, there is no reason to feel guilt. OBO means exactly what it implies. A person intending to buy should commit their intent to you at that moment as you discuss it. Just if they do not signify "SOLD" they have no qualms unless you implied sold to them and will forward the cost to ship ASAP.

The person who offered a higher price? Did they say "sold and offer their method of payment or OK, I'll give you what you want plus the cost of whatever it costs to ship to me. No matter what, I want it."

This is IMHO.

Cooltimes
Eric_Shea
I did not "slam the group".

Sorry... I thought you called us a pack of wild dogs chewing each other apart with a holier than thou attitude.

You probably meant that in a good way...

My bad. wink.gif
michaelt55
Eric,
Honestly, as an admin, how many times has their been a "public lynching" on this board? I can pull up lots of threads showing that behavior. If you feel I was slamming you, I apologize, I have not seen anything from you that would warrant that. I don't name names and point fingers either...if I did, the board would not be worth visiting. I have enough on my plate on the average day.

Michael

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 11 2007, 03:01 AM) *

I did not "slam the group".

Sorry... I thought you called us a pack of wild dogs chewing each other apart with a holier than thou attitude.

You probably meant that in a good way...

My bad. wink.gif

keske968
QUOTE(kconway @ Oct 9 2007, 12:34 AM) *

So if the first guy says, "I'll give you $X if the shpping isn't too high" would that make a difference? It's easy to get PO'd about losing out on a bargain because you didn't know the etiquet. Just in case I'm hot for a part, I wanna be prepared.

If you say "x number $'s or best offer" and someone else makes you an offer then says "as long as shipping isnt too high" they really havn't accepted your offer at all. Rather they have just asked for more info on the price. As the offeror you can set the terms in which your offer is accepted. If the other party does not accept to thoes exact terms they have rejected your origional offer and made what is known as a counteroffer.

In legal terms we call this the "mirror image rule." this basicaly means that if you say "I will sell you my car for $5,000 and if you accept you must notify me by running around the block three times." If the person buying it just hands you 5k then they rally havn't accepted your offer becasue they didn't run around the block. they gave you a counter offer.

When you say "Or best offer" and someone tells you they want to know how much shipping is first they really havn't made an offer at all. Now if they give you some money (it can be as low as a doller) for you to keep the offer open till x time and you accept the money then you have to keep the offer open for that person.

If I were you I would sell it to the guy who offered you the $225 and shipping. It truly is your best offer and he didn't make you a counteroffer.

Well back to class... Gee isn't law school fun? I'm gonna talk to my contracts prof today to clear things up as well.

hwgunner
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 10 2007, 12:32 AM) *

I can see both sides of this argument. Any buyer here or on ebay has the right to make sure that they are not going to get screwed on shipping. Unfortunately, it has become a given that if you buy something on ebay, you are going to be screwed on shipping. It is in the buyers best interest to know that they won't have to pay $58 for shipping on a $37 part.

Ken

I am sorry but I do not think it is a given that you are going to get screwed on the shipping if you buy on ebay and I am not sure why you think it transfers over to this club. I sell a lot on ebay and I do not screw anybody on shipping. As a matter of fact, I make it a practice to refund shipping to people who buy more than one item but who do not wait for an invoice that reflects combined shipping. I give 3 or 4 refunds a month just for this reason. On this board I also think that a person would have a hard time overcharging for shipping because they would be called out in front of the masses. And as for paying $58 for shipping a $37 part, that makes no sense since that $37 part weighs 70 pounds and will cost $83 to ship.
hwgunner
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 10 2007, 07:00 AM) *

Zach

The problem I have with this is that I am on the coast, as you are and the people who are close will get over charged for the shipping. Now some would say that if they know shipping will be $40.00 ahead of time and they agree to it that that is their fault. I just like the idea charging what it costs.
hwgunner
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Oct 10 2007, 12:04 PM) *

why slam the group? I did not "slam the group". It depends on the day here who is consider "ok".... I saw a thread about Craig in Camp 914 that seems to drag his rep thru the mud... Jake gets beaten up frequently which he definately does not deserve... etc etc.

If I was asked if I wanted it for $250 I would have probably said yes. However I do want to know the price for shipping.

Michael

Michael, I do not think that you were slamming the group.

I was originally trying to get $200 for it and would have taken that, even if you had made that offer after all this *#&$^$%$*#)#)#*$&$^%&%(%%_! I really did put the "OBO" in there so that if someone offered $175.00 I could move on up to a better offer like $200.00. That said, I tend to be that way here on this board. I am not out to gouge anybody here. As a matter of fact, I hate the fact that I have to put a price on items that I sell in the classifieds in the first place. This is why I sell mostly on Ebay. I do not have to figure out the price, someone else has to. I would prefer to sell in the classifieds with a "make me a reasonable offer". If I like it it is yours, if I don't like it you loose. If you consistantly make rediculous offers then everyone will know and you wont get anything. I have sold lots of stuff on ebay that I would take far less $$$ from a world member than what I got for it in the end on ebay. As a matter of fact I have a Very Good dash top that will go on ebay because I hate to put prices on things. I can almost guarantee that it will fetch more there than here but I would sell it right now if someone made the right offer. As for the Bashing that goes on, you are right
PRS914-6
In a perfect world the guy who first inquired should get a chance to say "sorry, too much shipping"

However, in the real world where people say "I'll take it" and then never come through creates problems and teaches hard lessons to sellers.

You will most likely change your strategy if you buy and sell a lot of things and you pass up serious buyers for a "first guy" who never sent money or a deposit or for that matter even said "I'll take it" In reality the first guy may actually just be wearing out his shoes on your tires. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Remember the ol' saying "money talks"? This weeds out the tire kickers. I've said this before and I'll say it again....If I don't know someone, I'll always ask for a small deposit via Paypal to hold the part. If they are serious, a deposit will come in minutes. Then you know they are serious. If I'm buying, I offer a deposit to close the deal.

For the sellers it helps to put "actual shipping costs from zip XXXXX" Item weighs XX lbs. Or a flat rate shipping cost. This way you do not have the delays of shipping research. The buyer knows upfront and can pay immediately if he wants it.

To me this is all basic buying and selling rules. Someone wants to sell. Someone wants to buy. First one to actually pull out a wallet gets it. Cruel? Maybe. It's like that in the real world and you can't buy anything anywhere without paying for it........Buying and selling is "business" and people should not forget that. IMHO, "expecting" special rules here for camaraderie is asking for trouble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.