Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end clunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
There's an obvious clunk coming from the driver's side suspension/front end. It's not just on large bumps, but every day driving with small bumps in the road the clunking is pretty audible. I jacked up the front end and took a blind look....
When pushing or lightly kicking on the tire, the strut seems to wiggle around up inside it's insert in the top of wheel well (sorry I'm not too keen on the suspension parts/terms). I have done nothing to the suspension to this car since I bought it a few years ago, so I don't know much about it at all. I assume somethings busted...
drgchapman
Sounds like the insert is loose in the strut. You'll need to remove the strut cap to access the top to tighten the insert. While your in there, put in new strut cartridges.
Hammy
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Oct 9 2007, 05:33 PM) *

Sounds like the insert is loose in the strut. You'll need to remove the strut cap to access the top to tighten the insert. While your in there, put in new strut cartridges.

Could you elaborate a little more? I know nothing about the suspension on these cars (yet). I'm studying the parts diagram and I can't see what you mean by strut cap... Is that the rubber boot thing that goes over the top of the strut inside the trunk? I only remember those being in the rear trunk so I may be wrong there.
Dave_Darling
#25 is the "strut cap" that he's talking about. There's a big nut where the shaft of the shock comes up out of the strut (not shown separately on the diagram), and that's what might be loose.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.