Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 cable shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LS6/914
Curious question for the v8/915 swap freaks. have you used Patrick Motorsports, WEVO, or Renegade? Problems? My wife says Iam sinking further into the abyss of the 914. She also informed me that for the amount of time I have in this project I could have .....lets not go there! laugh.gif Anyway the topic is cable shifters for the 915. I love the wevo unit however I have to justify the cost. ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm surrounded by a LOT of potent racing 914's in this area.. and not ONE of them has the cable setup installed (or ever had it installed for that fact.)

I think the cable shift stuff is OK for mid engine sand rails.. but doesnt work "great" in a daily driver/racer. It may not actually be the cable/shifter setup but the 915 they are trying to shift with it. The latest Porsches utilize tranny's that are specifically designed for two cables... the 915 with the hockey stick was never designed for this.

Tough call. I know what I would run.

B
LS6/914
Thanks Brad, I will explain that its safety equipment laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I want more people to chime in. Just thought I would try and get some people to "see" this thread.

I personally have NEVER shifted a 915 (or 930 for that fact) with a cable shifter and I have sat in a lot of cars.

I think the G-50 tranny works well with the cable shift because the tranny has much nicer sliders/synchro's (Ultima kit cars run a G-50 upside down.. some of them are cable shifted.

B
East coaster
I thought the stock cable shifter in my Boxster was excellent and often wondered why it couldn't be done for the 914/915. If the 915 doesn't lend itself to a proper cable shift setup then I guess that's why it's not feesable. The boxster sure shifts sweet compared to our beloved 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.