Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A report on my 914/6 conversion project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Knox
Dear friends,
Many of you will remember me from the Rennlist boards. I'm still trying to get used to the technology available at 914 World, so please forgive any feaux pas.
Also I have not been able to figure out how to shrink my digital photos to an acceptable size, so I can't post any pictures YET!

My conversion project is inching along. I drove the car into the garage December 2005 to start this conversion. You may recall that I have NO background in auto mechanics, so it's been a steep learning curve. On top of that with two professions (Social Work and Music) I can only devote 4-6 hours on most Saturdays to the project.

It took nearly a year for me to get the engine bay ready and by that I mean repairing the hell hole rust, the rusted through section of the firewall, modifying the OEM engine tin to fit the 3.2, installing the special flywheel, new clutch, and T.O. bearing. Then I had to modify the 901 transmission for the DME electronics, and install a Rich Johnson throttle assembly.

I installed Rich Johnson's front engine mount, and finished rerouting the brake lines. The engine went in in March 2007, I have placed the DME unit, opting for the rear trunk instead of under the passenger seat. The engine/tranny part of the throttle linkage has been done. I decided to go with a front mounted fuel pump, so that meant modifying the 1974, with an access panel in the passenger footwell. Also all the oil lines are made up and plumbed in. I placed my auxiliary oil cooler under the rear trunk next to the transmission. Last week I modified the shift bar so that it clears the OEM heat exchangers.

Things left to do:
1. Thread the new 914/6 throttle cable through the tunnel and to the linkage at the bell crank.
2. Hook up the clutch cable, and hope to God that the flywheel/clutch/TO bearing I installed I did right.
3. Finish mating the 74 chassis electric to the 87 engine electric.
4. Install the 5 gauge Getty dash, hook up those Carrera gauges.
5. Reinstall the interior which I have had redone while the engine swap was underway.

So that brings you up to date. I love the 914 community. There has never been a time that I have posted a call for help that I have not received many responses. Parts are shared, and advice is shared. None of these conversion projects are done single handed. Thanks to all of you.

Mike Knox (MikeTuba on Rennlist).
ClayPerrine
Mike,

I have a wiring diagram on how to hookup the 3.2 motronic to a 914 if you need it.

As for DWD... it is too late my friend. You already have it!! laugh.gif
Mike Knox
Hi Clay!!

You wrote:

> I have a wiring diagram on how to hookup the 3.2 motronic to a 914 if you need it.

Yes please shot me a copy!!

Dirk Wright Disease needs to have a 12 step program:

"my name is Mike and I am restoring a Porsche 914"

"Hi Mike"

Oh wait it's called 914 World av-943.gif

THANKS CLAY!!

Mike Knox

boxstr
Here is Mike at CAMP picking up his 3.2, how long ago was that?
CCL
Mike Knox
Uh, at least 5 years ago. I wish I still weighed the same. sad.gif

BTW my son totalled that pick up. He slid on some ice and into two trees up in the woods one winter night. 7 wrecks in 24 hours at that same corner. Of course Klamath County Oregon says it wasn't their lack of plowing and graveling that was the cause. I'm just glad that he was in the truck and not his Honda Civic.
biggrin.gif
Mike
boxstr
Hey Mike look what came into CAMP today, another 3.2. 4000 miles, stored in this box for 20 years. biggrin.gif Will need a bit of TLC but it is a good start.
I emailed Chuck.
CCL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.