Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WoodOne337
I was stranded outside Oakland,CA earlier. I had the car (76 914) towed and now have it loaded on a uhaul trailer. There was no spark, just died on the interstate. Now it will not turn over or crank. It does not even click,but the lights come on. Any ideas?

Update, we rolled into home late last night. 765 miles the first day and a little over 800 the next. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am sorry I did not get to respond to everyone sooner, I just wanted to get home. I have not unloaded her from the trailer yet. I will get her in the garage and start trying some of your suggestions. Thank You.
PeeGreen 914
Not enough info.... Have you tested the bettery to see if it has enough juice. Just because your lights come on doesn't say your battery is good. If it is good then we can go from there.
Dr. Roger
once your battery is recharged then you know the engine needs 3 things to run.
fuel, ignition, and air.

did you smell gas (sign of flooding) when turning over the engine? yes to gas, no spark.
did you check all of your fuses and make sure the contacts are not corroded? may fix a no spark situation.
when was the last time it had a tune up? weak spark.

lucky i don't have to work tomorrow. rained out!! =)
WoodOne337
Battery is new. It showed a little over 13 on the volt guage. Hesitation and then no power. Will not crank, turn the keys to start and all the lights and guages seen to work but no click, no start.
SGB
Be sure there isn't corrosion on the batt cable clamps.
tdgray
Check your ground strap.

Try to "jump" the starter to get it to engage... that will rule out ignition problems.

Check all the relays... swap them with the headlight relays.

Report back.
grantsfo
All fuses good and in place? Battery cables all tight? Check to make sure all relays are plugged in and are functioning. Did you wear the battery down while trying to get it started? If so, then check distributor cap for moisture and make sure all wires to and from coil are connected properly. Check points.

dakotaewing
Hey guys -
Just a heads up -
Woodone flew from Dallas to San Fransisco to pick up this car -
It is newly aquired (purchased), and I am sure that he is not as familar with the car as he wishes - I am sure he would greatly appreciate any help that anyone would give him in order to get the car home to Texas -
Ok guys, step up to the plate if you are close !
Thanks -
Thom
davep
My guess is the ignition switch. When it fails it can have all sorts of problems. You can certainly have some power going through, but not have starting.
dakotaewing
WoodOne -
It would be a good idea to post a cell number or a way to contact you directly so that if anyone can either walk you through your issue over the phone, or go to your car, that can happen - oh, and stupid question, but have you tried push starting the car?
Joe Ricard
Sounds like he has a solution with the U-haul.

And the adventure begins.
angerosa
Becasue of the two distinct problems he's having...
1. Car just died while running fine and
2. Starter won't even engage or click

I don't belive it's his new batter especially since it's registering 13 volts on a meter while car not running.

I don't believe it's the starter because it would be miraculous for both an ignition problem and a starter problem to happen at exactly the same time.

I think it's more likely he's just not getting power to the coil and the starter.

Look at things that would make both of those things happen. People suggested some good stuff.

Relays? - maybe but unlikely unless there's ONE relay that would make both of those things happen.

Battery terminals - Good suggestion - check for corrosion. I have like 3 or 4 things connected to my positive terminal. A couple of the wires could still be connected like the ones that power lights and signals and horns and a couple could have bad connections like the big wires going to the starter and ignition. Although I would think your alternator would not be charging your battery when the car was running if this was the case. Since you have such a good charge it appears it was.

Fuses - good suggestion. Does anyone know if the ignition fuse and starter fuse are the same? Doubt it, both are big things and it wouln't make sense although I was amazed that my 92 VW Jetta radiator fan and AC shared the same circuit. So when you blew the fuse running your AC, your car overheated. Both things you use on hot days? I guess becasue it was the only 30 amp fuse in the car it wasn't cost effective for VW to put another 30 amp in but jeez... So it wouldn't make sense that if you blew the fuse starting your Porsche, that it would also short your ignition and not run at all.

Ground strap?? I think the starter is grounded locally so this shouldn't be it since the main ground wire from your batter terminal has to be fine since your lights are working.

Ignition switch - possibility. If there's no connection when your key goes all the way over your starter won't engage and you won't get an ignition spark. Follow the suggestion of jumping the starter with the key in the "On" position and see if it turns. If it does turn by shorting it, ignition switch may be likely candidate. Then you'll have to hotwire it which is never as easy it is in the movies. I had an ignition switch problem on a car for a while and I had to have a toggle switch to turn on power to the ignition and a pushbutton switch (like the refridgerator door) to engage the starter. They dangled on wires from steering collumn as I drove around.
Jeffs9146
This happened to me on a 74 and it was the ignition switch. It is a pain to replace in the field without the proper tools but it can be done.

I am sure someone here can tell him how to bypass the switch and drive it home. Maybe a jumper wire for the ignition and jump the starter with a screw driver. As long as the key keeps the stearing unlocked it could work.
stateofidleness
that's exactly what mine did..
i had a loose connection from the ignition switch wire going to the starter.. reseated the connector on the spade terminal nice and tight and she fired right up... id say check your connections on the starter
Dr. Roger
I had the ignition switch problem too.

mine died over time so jiggling it in and out, back and forth may engage the starter solenoid. Unless that's the culprit.

But if you rhauling it by U-Haul then we're not trying to troubleshoot while your on the side of the road, right? =0
SirAndy
QUOTE(WoodOne337 @ Oct 9 2007, 11:06 PM) *

I was stranded outside Oakland,CA earlier. I had the car (76 914) towed and now have it loaded on a uhaul trailer. There was no spark, just died on the interstate. Now it will not turn over or crank. It does not even click,but the lights come on. Any ideas?

tranny ground strap?

are you still in town? i could swing by and have a look ...
bye1.gif Andy
GWN7
Died while driving, have power (to the lights), now no cranking.

I'd suspect a electrical connection or fuse came loose in the primary starting circute.

Check the fuses on the panel under the dash. It could be a simple as they were bumped loose or have built up corrosion (try spinning them in the holders)

Next try the connection under the dash where the wiring loom goes up into the ignition switch. Try wiggling the wires while turning the key to the start position. This won't rule out your switch being bad but it might help if you have no tools and a spare switch to replace it with. There were a run of switches that were not quite right and take some coaxing to work.

Next check the wires that run off the starter. You can try shorting out the starter while under there if you know how to do it safely (trans in neutral). If the starter spins you know its a connection.

Next wires under the passenger seat. Not sure if the 76 has the interlock relay.

Good luck
rhodyguy
oakland? if all else fails, call rich bontempi @ high performance house. located conviniently across the bay in redwood city(?). i don't have the # on hand. i'm sure someone local can provide it.

k
jk76.914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 10 2007, 05:18 PM) *

Died while driving, have power (to the lights), now no cranking.

Next wires under the passenger seat. Not sure if the 76 has the interlock relay.

Good luck

My '76 had the interlock relay. That's what I was thinking, because I don't think there's a fuse in the starter circuit..... Does the interlock relay switch the coil out, or just the starter solenoid? Can't remember, and I'm not home to look it up....

Is anything sitting on the passenger seat? Wife? Sack of potatoes? etc? If so, be sure the seat belt is fastened!

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.