Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secondary Air valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billvg101
Hi All,
I have a '73 914 1.7 California emissions and I have a question about the secondary air valve. 1rst, I've looked for a new or rebuilt one and can only find the superceded part that fits 1.8. Any one have a source? 2nd, has anyone had any experience rebuilding the 1.7 air valve (single wire). Thanks to all!

Bill
type47
auxiliary air regulator? (AAR)? NLA so you might try to find one used. also might try removing it from the intake air distributor (phlenum, whatever it's called, the thing the intake runners attach to (opposite of the head)) and shooting some PB blaster or WD40 into it, connect to 12V and try to free it up.
2-OH!
The PB idea is good, but let it sit overnite and do it's thing...

The other issue is that there is a coil in there that heats up to provide a automatic choke type response...I believe pbanders has done a write-up on this forum on how to replace/fix...Try a search under AAR valve or go to his site pbanders.com ( I think)...

2-OH!
billvg101
The problem I have with the AAR is the coil. I get an open circuit when I measure resistance from the wire to the base of the valve so I assume the coil is burned out. Getting this thing apart looks like a challange! (pbanders.com didn't work) headbang.gif
blitZ
You may be able to repair, a few notes here:

AAR Repair
billvg101
Thanks to all who replied. I was able to rebuild the AAR valve and now the car is running great again! The only thing I did differently is instead of grinding the lip of the canister off, I made slits around the lip and opened it like a 5 gallon pail of spackle. When I was done I just had to crimp the tabs closed and that was it. Thanks again! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.