Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Grandparent lost....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
My Opa (German for grandfather) passed away today. He was 91.

We hadn't been close the last 5 years or so (constant family fights). But he was an incredible man. He survived two world wars, a Russian prison camp, immigrated from Germany with 3 daughters, a wife, and $300. Owned a house and gas station within a couple of years. All his daughters became successful business women. He outlived all but his youngest sibling (all nine of them).

At least we had a somewhat decent final visit with him last week. My grandmother had a nice visit yesterday (where he told her he loved her and the they had a good marriage and she had taken good care of him). He had been put in a nursing home a little over a week ago because he stopped eating and his kidneys were failing. Today he was in unconscious most of the day and he passed around 10:00 pm.

It's one of those, he is more peaceful now type things. No more pain, no more sickness.

Hohumm.....
biosurfer1
damn, i'm sorry to hear that...sounds like he had a full life though and thats about as much as we can ask for. a week from wednesday will be the 2 year ann. of a good friend of mine who died of cancer at 21. definatly makes the holidays a bit rougher...
Pnambic
My condolences. Even the "they're in a better place now" types of passings aren't easy.

Went through a very similar time with my grandmother almost exactly 3 years ago. Found out the day after Xmas that she had a brain tumor the size of a softball. She went pretty quickly, and apparently in little pain, but they don't give out prescriptions to the ones left behind for their pain.

I'm glad your last memories were not of more fighting. smile.gif
SirAndy
sorry to hear that.

my last remaining "Oma" passed away a few weeks ago.
i have nothing but good memories of all my grand-parents.

Andy
Brad Roberts
I think we are all getting older.

Sorry to hear of your loss Karl. I knew that things where not going well for well.

B
Gint
I'm sorry to hear this Karl. I have very few grandparents left. My paternal grandfather is 87 and my maternal grandmother is celebrating her 90th birthday in Feb. Both of them are telling me that they are tired, but they still look great and are sharp as a tack.
djm914-6
My condolences, kellzey. My prayers and well wishes to you and your's.

I agree with Brad. I've heard a lot of comments about the bad things with getting older from eye sight to pains but I believe it's watchning loved ones fail. Aside from my mother who lives with us and excluding my inlaws, I don't have any more "family" outside the home. I watched my "Gram" fail this summer, but I know she's now at peace.
Bruce Allert
Hard to hear Karl. So sorry.
The older I get the more I loose.....
I'm tired of losing sad.gif

......b
seanery
My condolences Karl.
kafermeister
Sorry to hear Karl. Hang in there dude. headbang.gif
redshift
smile.gif

I hope he says hi to my Eula, she's a great lady.

I'm sorry buddy, I am glad you got the last few years with him.

Miles
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Karl; I am sorry to here of your loss. My dad passed
15 yrs. ago still miss him. My mom is 92 and still kicken.
In reading here of your life , it's plain to see where you got your toughness and resolve. From your grandpa!
He lives on in that way. Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Dec 28 2003, 05:56 AM)
it's plain to see where you got your toughness and resolve. From your grangpa!
He lives on in that way. Dave smilie_flagge6.gif

Well put, Dave.
Sorry for your loss, Karl.
JFJ914
My condolences, Karl.
Rouser
My condolences, too ...

My paternal grandmother passed away in her sleep, at 81, Dec. 18th last year, which made for a solemn Christmas.

I agree ... we're all getting a little older and have to prepare ourselves to deal with these eventualities.
watsonrx13
My condolences, Karl. Our prayers and well wishes to you and your's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.