Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone using QSC 96mm cast Piston & Cylinder Kits?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobhasissues
Wondering if anyone (other than Brer, who is selling these kits) has tried the QSC 96mm cast Piston & Cylinder kits. Have read some bad stuff about QSC's cheap Nikasil knockoffs, but nothing about the cast sets.
cnavarro
If I did have to tell someone to use a cast iron cylinder, I would almost always tell them to take an old german cylinder, have it bored out and honed to a set of KB pistons. It's proven and quality, on a budget. Have everything cryo'ed even for a few more $$$ as cheap insurance. Another thing I have done is have had the cylinders all surface ground to the same height groups, allowing you to mix and match cylinders from different groups.

I even take old aluminum 356 cylinders and strip and re-plate them, as "budget" cylinders. There is nothing like an old german casting.
Jake Raby
Typical Chinese quality.
You'll get exactly what you pay for.

rhodyguy
i worked in a foundry years ago. i hate dirty castings. i realize sand 'trash' left behind from the cores and what not when the cope and drag are closed up, may not 'hurt the runnin' of it'. the old oem 94s are beautiful. even the parting lines are well dressed. must have been a permanent mold production affair. the 'onion' had what must have been am units. just gross! fewer fin count also.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.