Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to screw up a restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
This COULD have been a decent 914 restoration!

A lesson in what NOT to do! From an originality point of view.

Who can count the number of things WRONG on this (potentially) nice 914?
Pat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

THIS never had a chance! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

Two more examples of why I don't understand why owners are painting the F & R compartments black - one poor & one pretty nice. Point is, it's a kiss of death, because we all know it's hiding rust. It sure isn't done for aesthetic or "cool" purposes!

Pat
jd74914
IDK Pat, the bottom of my boot and my floors are black and don't have any rust (I know because I fixed all of it). They just has bedliner on it so I don't have to worry about throwing stuff in there. laugh.gif

Of course thats not for this forum.

On topic, the part that threw me off most about the first car was the ad's totally unprofessional and really very random formatting. It makes it too hard to read.
Scott S
there is one other main reason it is done- it is far easier to do a cheap color change, vs taking everything apart... like the factory did on the 916 engine compartments.

They didn't have to do the trunks because of the full carpeting.

If the Martini car doesnt sell, I will be re-doing it as a clone of the Ralph Meaney lime green GT. It will retain it's white trunks and interior - just like the original....
orthobiz
The first car: I started to count the number of things not original on this car and I found WALDO! Anyway, I think this car is a great example of how people personalize them. It's a pretty clean car and I think it would be a great driver, just don't ever think of going back original because it would take forever.

The only thing that really, really bothers me (without looking too closely) is the rear spoiler. My 1971 Signal Orange definitely did not go fast enough to need a spoiler!

Paul
jonferns
hey pat, another one of these beautiful black trunked cars....currently at $6k !
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-PORSCH...1QQcmdZViewItem

Its great to see how some people dont mask while painting....

Click to view attachment

black trunk, and a little messy with the red paint. Once again, masking?

Click to view attachment

orthobiz
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 12 2007, 05:38 PM) *

hey pat, another one of these beautiful black trunked cars....currently at $6k !

What's even more amazing is there must be 100 pics and they don't even tell the whole story...except that it'll take the new owner about a year to get the ArmorAll off!

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 13 2007, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 12 2007, 05:38 PM) *

What's even more amazing is there must be 100 pics and they don't even tell the whole story...except that it'll take the new owner about a year to get the ArmorAll off!

Paul

Hey Biz!

I don't think I've EVER seen a car with 2 gallons of Armorall on it before! Besides that, it's train wreck because of the terrible paint job (Earl Scheib would even be embarassed). When they took the pics of this car, the had to be overcome by fumes - straight out of the booth, and poorly done.

Can only hope that no one reaches the reserve. I like 914 people and wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Pat
jd74914
Look at the drips on the headlight covers.
Eric_Shea
Scott,

The Meaney car is/was Conda Green. A lot of the factory GT's were white off the line so the purchasing race team could paint them the color of their choice. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.