Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs without choke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thack
How do you guys get along with the dual carb setup that offers no choke. Is there a way to add more fuel at start up or does it just run lean at start up? What do you do for the winter months? I have dual Solex H40 DEIS carbs.
Allan
I run weber 40's on my six and don't have any problem getting the car started.
ahdoman
I've got Dell 40's. Before starting the car I'll pump my accelerator a couple of times, fire it and I will usually have to hold the gas in a little trying not to exceed 1500 rpm on cold startup.
Zundfolge
I have a pair of 40mm Webers on my 2.0l and back when it was a daily driver I used to throw a drop light under the hood at night so it would start easier in the morning. Wife was always afraid I'd burn down the garage doing this tongue.gif

Now I just don't drive it in the winter (well its a long story, but I sold the car a few years ago and just bought it back in not as good condition so I don't drive it at all right now tongue.gif ).
GeorgeRud
I also find that a couple of pumps on the accelerator will richen up the mixture to get it started, then you have to pump it occasionally to keep a six running untill it heats up. Porsche did have a system which pumped raw gas down the venturis from the air cleaner (the holes are still on the six air cleaners),but realized this was a bad idea. The hand throttle was also used to keep the rpms up till it warmed up.
ConeDodger
My new 2270 usually starts within 15 seconds with a couple blips of the throtle and then turn the key. She is a little bitchy to start with but settles right down after about 3-5 minutes. I have dual 45 Dells without chokes...
anderssj
DRLA-40s, no chokes . . . when cold, it's 3-4 pumps on the gas pedal, turn the key and it fires right up. A couple of light "blips" during the first minute or so and it's ready to idle on its own.
Thack
You guys are great! Just the answers I needed to give me confidence to get these carbs on. Thanks again to all of you!
rhodyguy
agree.gif with everyone else. not that big of a hassle. by the time i buckleup and get situated it's good to go. esp with a mallory and 6A box. that was the change that produced the greatest results.

k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.