Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Suspension Bushing Question(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I have a question (or a few questions) about the rear suspension bushings currently available.

Years ago one was able to purchase HARD plastic bushings for the rear trailing arms. They squeak for years and years and grease does not seem to help much, but being hard, they last and last (noisy but long lived).

Then years passed.

Now it seems that everyone sells the same "PolyGraphite" bushings. In my experience, these are junk. Either the 2 sets that I have purchased (from different vendors) were defective or they are too soft and will deform without hard use.

Are there hard plastic (delrin) bushings available anywhere? Who has them? It seems that everyone sells the Weltmeister Polygraphite ones.

I'd jump onto the Elephant Racing Bronze bushings if they were just a bit cheaper...

Roller bearings seem to be a bit of overkill for what I need/want.

I don't care about noise. I care about keeping the control arms where they should be.

Anyone?
PeeGreen 914
Spend the little extra and get the Elephant racing. You will be very pleased with how everything goes.
TravisNeff
I think Chris Foley makes the delrin bushings and will fit them to your arms.
John
I did a little more research tonight. The bushings that are/were sold by MidAmerica Motorworks (the old Tweeks) are not the same as the Weltmeister PolyGraphite bushings that most all the vendors seem to sell.

The Weltmeister PolyGrapite bushings are made of a harder material and seem to deform less. (this may be the source of my frustration).

I just wanted to make others aware that the softer plastic bushings do not seem to last long.

hwgunner
QUOTE(John @ Oct 11 2007, 10:01 PM) *

I did a little more research tonight. The bushings that are/were sold by MidAmerica Motorworks (the old Tweeks) are not the same as the Weltmeister PolyGraphite bushings that most all the vendors seem to sell.

The Weltmeister PolyGrapite bushings are made of a harder material and seem to deform less. (this may be the source of my frustration).

I just wanted to make others aware that the softer plastic bushings do not seem to last long.

Where did you get the soft plastic ones?? I know that I can get the hard ones for the front and I am pretty sure that i can get the hard for the rear but I also know from experience that the hard ones were louder and squeeked more often.
John
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Oct 11 2007, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Oct 11 2007, 10:01 PM) *

Where did you get the soft plastic ones?? I know that I can get the hard ones for the front and I am pretty sure that i can get the hard for the rear but I also know from experience that the hard ones were louder and squeeked more often.

I must confirm that it is the soft ones (from Tweeks) that are bad. That is what I believe, but the number on the part will tell the story once disassembled.

I don't care about noise. I want the hardest plastic bushings that will last. Squeaking I can live with. Sloppy rear control arms I can not live with.

It will be a couple weeks before I can disassemble, but I'll post information in this thread when I take it all apart.

E-Man
There WAS a group buy for delrin bushings happening here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=72089&st=0

Don't know what the status is at this point though.
davep
I have a set or two of old bushings that never got used. Any idea how to identify them? Available if someone wants them.
John
QUOTE(E-Man @ Oct 12 2007, 07:20 AM) *

There WAS a group buy for delrin bushings happening here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=72089&st=0

Don't know what the status is at this point though.

I was trying to get in on that, but have not heard recently what the status is.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.