Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights Turn Off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
I have had this problem for awhile...

My low beam will typically come on after a few minutes then they shut off, sometimes sooner if I hit a bump. Also the high beams will come on (If I turn them on) and stay on after the low beams go off.

I believe that I have replaced the switch on the dash. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

dinomium
Sounds like a loose ground and or a high beam relay...
Spoke
agree.gif

Could also be any wire. Turn lights on and jiggle wires around light and see if you can locate the loose wire or connection. Could be a connector anywhere between the light and the battery including the switch.

Is it only one low beam?

Spoke
jk76.914
That rings a bell. I remember that problem- especially the bump part. On mine it was the high beam relay. I snapped the cover off, and polished up the contacts. It's worked fine for maybe 18 years since I did that.

I'm thinking that the coil has to hold the relay on, but with dirty (a little burned maybe) contacts, the resistance is high enough that the voltage to the coil drops enough that it's barely holding the armature. Go over a bump, and the spring snaps the armature up enough that the circuit opens. I think that's it, but it was a long time ago and so kind of cloudy. Cheap fix for me anyway.

Jim
Justinp71
Thanks for the info. Is the High Beam Relay on the Fuse board?

It is both Low Beams...

dinomium
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 11 2007, 03:33 PM) *

Thanks for the info. Is the High Beam Relay on the Fuse board?

It is both Low Beams...

yes it is. Download the color wiring diagrams from Pelican. They are a great help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.