Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Springs and Perches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
andys
I figured the race crowd would be the best place to seek some info. I have the Koni Yellows in this (poor) photo (with blue tape attached). Since this is a V8 car, I want to be able to swap springs and set hide heights easily when dialing in the handling. I'll be doing some track day testing to get things working right. What adjustable perches will fit these shocks? Will they interfere with the keeper that's welded to the shock body (I think the springs will be shorter than that)? How about springs (diameter, length, source)? I don't intend to lower the car any more than keeping the trailing arms parallel to the ground. This is not going to be a track car; mostly street driven.

Thanks,

Andys
Aaron Cox
without machinging the shock to remove most of the welded on keeper, i doubt you would be able to run the 'racer' 2.5" ID springs that most perch setups support
J P Stein
Somma these from Coleman Racing will do the trick. IIRC, the cost was around 150 + another 100 for the springs of your choice. The top mount is a bit trickey to get setup right, but not rocket science. You need to tell them the OD of your shock body.

OOPS...I didn't look close enuff, just at the color & thought Bilstein...not.
Can't find the delete button....that sucks
Aaron Cox
the ID of most threaded body collars is 2.04" to 2.08" IIRC...

I *Guess* you could just put the threaded collar on TOP of the welded perch... but it would limit you to 8" tall springs.....

the setup that both JP and I have, has a machined lip inside the collar to sit on the circlip shown.....
andys
JP,

Are those 10" long springs?

Andys
J P Stein

Yes, 10 inch.
You may be able to slip the collars on from the top. Mine are the longer ones.
When set, they would be about where your spring support sits....maybe a bit higher....by my eyeball.
A pic of them on the car. The springs are attached to the top mounts.
Krieger
I don't know if this helps, but I have Koni reds and the folks at Strasse in or around Palo Alto had the whole shebang.
dakotaewing
Andys -
What transaxle are you running in your car ?
Dave_Darling
I got a setup to fit Koni Yellows from Pelican years ago, before I started working for them. IIRC, it's the standard setup for threaded-collar adjustable perches. I don't recall if it's Weltmeister or not. The inside of the collar has a machined "step" to fit over the welded-on support; part of the collar goes down past the support and part of it is above the support.

You can see if Glenn with Pelican can hook you up, or check with Jason over at Paragon. And I'm sure the Doc or Dave at GPR also have one or two ideas...

--DD
andys
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 12 2007, 09:17 AM) *

I got a setup to fit Koni Yellows from Pelican years ago, before I started working for them. IIRC, it's the standard setup for threaded-collar adjustable perches. I don't recall if it's Weltmeister or not. The inside of the collar has a machined "step" to fit over the welded-on support; part of the collar goes down past the support and part of it is above the support.

You can see if Glenn with Pelican can hook you up, or check with Jason over at Paragon. And I'm sure the Doc or Dave at GPR also have one or two ideas...

--DD

Dave,

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check it out. Are those perches made for the stock spring diameter?

What I need to do, is measure all the pertinant diameters and positions so I can talk turkey. I know AFCO makes 2 5/8" ID springs.

Andys
andys
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Oct 12 2007, 08:07 AM) *

Andys -

Thom,

It's an Audi/Getrag 01E 6 speed.

Andys
dakotaewing
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 12 2007, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Oct 12 2007, 08:07 AM) *

Andys -

Thom,

It's an Audi/Getrag 01E 6 speed.

Andys

Cool !!!
Please keep us posted on your progress! I have been interested in using something different than the 901, but did not want to go the 915/930 route due to $$$$....
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 12 2007, 08:45 AM) *
Are those perches made for the stock spring diameter?

I think they're for 2.5" springs, but I don't remember for certain. I do know they're different from stock.

--DD
Borderline
I bought my adjustable collars from Rich Bontempi @ HPH. I think the same stuff is all available at Ground Control. My collars had a relief machined at one end but the ring on the Koni yellows was too big for it to slide over. I just turned it upside down and it's been working great. I was running 175# springs (10" length) with the adjuster all the way at the bottom. When I changed to 225# springs I went with the 8" long springs cause I knew the wouldn't compress as much and I wanted to go lower on the ride ht.
Joe Ricard
AFCO also makes 2.5" ID springs. I have them on my car now. 8" long 300 lb rate. The springs are available is just about any rate you want.

Real sexy stuff Yellow coils surrounding Anodized Aluminum AFCO shocks.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 14 2007, 02:55 PM) *

Real sexy stuff Yellow coils surrounding Anodized Aluminum AFCO shocks.

Too bad you can't get ahead of anyone to show em' off.
Sometimes I crack myself up av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.