Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs. Which ones?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
This is not a FI vs. carbs debate... Assume the cam is appropriate, and decent duals. My questions are only about which ones are good/bad, and which sizes for different engines.

Dellorto vs. Weber vs. Solex vs. what else???? Which brands/models do you like best? Which ones would you avoid?

Are 44s / 45s the best size for a 2270?

What about a 2316 or 2056? Can the same size be fine with just different jetting/tuning, or are different carbs then recommended?

School me please...
dinomium
well Webers are still availible new and so are the parts. I have a set of Dells that I have to send to somebody to be rebuilt rather than just going to Fife and saying FIX ZEEZE!

Carbs unlimited has no gaskets or floats for Dells...
dinomium
oh and I chose to ignore that you mentioned Solex on purpose!
Jake Raby
A well rounded 2270 will make it's best, most usable power with a set of 44 Webers or 45 Dells.

My favorite carbs are Dells for every reason! 45s are the hardest Dells to find.

All the rebuild parts for Dells are still available and I can get them for you.
1bad914
I love the Dells for ease of adjustment...I bought my last pair from a guy in Italy, they were completely rebuilt and flowed to match, look on evil-bay for dells or webers, he will pop up.
rhodyguy
rand, i've found that a set of weber 40 idfs (28mm venturis) work pretty well on a 2.0, even a stock fi engine, using a set of tall manifolds and running a mallory dist. i'm wavering on selling my italian 44 webers to aquire one of the del 45 sets available locally for the 2056. mazdaguy, check your pms.

k
Aaron Cox
weber 44's with 34 vents rockin on my 9.5:1 2.0 cammer...
rhodyguy
i thought you sized up on the displacement aaron. your heads are altered too, yes?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 12 2007, 10:17 AM) *

i thought you sized up on the displacement aaron. your heads are altered too, yes?

stock displacement... more c/r. heads were decked and cleaned up stock valve sizes, carb cam, header.
ClayPerrine
A good carb is any carb that will pass a float test....

stirthepot.gif

Aaron Cox
MFI is easily as archaic as a carb. (oooh! high pressure fuel spray!!!)

oh... but wait, we can buy replacement parts for carbs.
yeahmag
My vote from personal experience would be for a set of Dell's.
Rand
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 12 2007, 10:30 AM) *

A good carb is any carb that will pass a float test....
stirthepot.gif

laugh.gif I prefer FI. chair.gif biggrin.gif
I'm just trying to expand my knowledge here because I don't know as much about carbs.

What is the cost comparison between a dual carb setup and a complete SDS system?
Rand
Sounds like I was on the right track... Weber 44s or Dell 45s are the ticket, considering the future engine builds I would be looking at (2270 / 2316).

On a stockish 2.0, 40s work well (thanks Kevin)... But if planning a rebuild to 2270 down the road, would you go with the 44s now - Can they be jetted/tuned appropriately? Or would it be mismatched enough to warrant running 40s and replacing with 44s later? (I'd rather buy once if possible.)

The only chance of finding the Dells is going to be used, and they aren't easy to find? If I happen to run across some, what kind of price would be fair??? (Good to know the parts are still available - thanks Jake.)

Are CB Performance's prices decent on the Webers? LINK HERE
Or are they easy enough to find used that it's a lot cheaper to snag a deal and rebuild them?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.